Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Science Diet?

Science Diet?

Does anyone here feed their dogs Science Diet? Is it a good food? I just started Peej and Bailey on Science Diet Mature and they seem to like it well enough. I just hope its a good food for them.

Was this food recommended by your vet for a health problem?

Not for a health problem, but she did say it was time to switch them to a senior food.

Then you can do better than that. I wanted to make sure the dogs were not on it for health reasons. Science diet is pretty low on the scale in quality.
    What allergies do you dogs have? Or like any arthritis etc?

I have always fed mine Science Diet & they are very healthy.

Science Diet gets a mixed review here on PT. One of the objections is usually that it contains corn, which can't be digested whole, but my vet (who used to work near their plant) told me that it is so finely ground, it is not a problem. She felt its actually a very good kibble. You'll here other objections here too.

Science Diet also produces lines of specialty formulas often prescribed by vets for different problems.

cyber sibes- I am glad your dogs are doing well- however the fact is- only the "heart"/pulp of corn can be digested even finely ground still turns into a filler that is passed in the stool.
    Rules with diets- if you see no side affects- probably not to switch. However- this is taking place.
    If I knew if your dogs have allergies ( which I rather doubt considering what they are eating now.. ) I can post a few ideas.
    There are countless threads on food on this site. So a search and you will get more information.

They don't have any allergies to anything. They're very healthy and I've heard good things about Science Diet.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ's Mom
    They don't have any allergies to anything. They're very healthy and I've heard good things about Science Diet.
    Then feed it if you want too. There are many others that have a been quality in the ingredients- and considering that dogs eat the same thing, twice a day, 365 days a year- I would get a better quality diet. There are several- Innova, timberwolf, solid gold, chicken soup for dogs.. etc.

We feed Science Diet at my work, next time we get a bag in I'll read the ingredients but to be honest I've heard pretty good things about it. It is a lower grade food then some of the high quality foods but if it works for your dogs I say don't feel bad for feeding it. My boss goes to seminars on how great science diet is and he says they are very convincing.

If you still work at a Petshotel ask your manager for one of the science diet coupon fliers, my work always has at least 40 to 50 on hand. Inside it gives information about the food and product.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Quote Originally Posted by PJ's Mom

I would listen to your Vet and also to your own good sense on what to
    feed your dogs. Science Diet is a perfectly good choice to make. I would
    also take the word of a Vet, whom I trust with the health of my dogs, to
    suggest the food that's best for them, before I listened to some unknown
    person on an internet website.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

read this link.. Notice who really makes Science diet.. http://www.dog-spoiling-made-easy.co...gredients.html

I, personally, would not feed Science Diet. I don't think its a horrible food, but I think there's better foods available. But I think if your dogs are doing well on it and thats what you want to feed, then that is fine. I feed the best dog food that is available to me (Natural Balance). Yes there are others that are supposed to be better than that, and for a while I drove a half hour to buy other foods, when I work at a pet store and can buy dog food right there. Nebo didn't do any better on that food, so I decided to just stick with Natural Balance.

I have never been a fan of Science Diet. I don't know a whole lot about the dog food but I wouldn't feed the cat food to my cats so I wouldn't feed the dog food to my dog either.

I am feeding a commercial dog and cat food to my animals. They all get Royal Canin. The cats are on a type to keep their immune system high as my Vixen is felv+ and Artica is one A junior formula for puppies 2 -9 months old.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

We feed the dogs and cats at the shelter Science Diet and they do fine on it. IMO it's a lot better than some foods out there.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight
    I have never been a fan of Science Diet. I don't know a whole lot about the dog food but I wouldn't feed the cat food to my cats so I wouldn't feed the dog food to my dog either.

I am feeding a commercial dog and cat food to my animals. They all get Royal Canin. The cats are on a type to keep their immune system high as my Vixen is felv+ and Artica is one A junior formula for puppies 2 -9 months old.
    I like Royal Canin too! They were one of the first to step up to the plate in going with natural preservatives- at least they have moral character..
    I have alot of opinons on Science diet- but the biggest complaint I have is that its made by Colgate for God sake.
    I would also suggest Bil Jac senior- but its lower in calories so unless the dogs are on the heavy side- there are still others you can try as listed above.