Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Science Diet?

BTW, as far as extrusion goes?

I knew what it was, just waiting to hear an answer.......

It is very simply taking a material and forming it through a die. there are literally thousands of food products made this way. There is nothing inherently wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    I would tend to agree there LH, I do know several petfoods are owned by Nestle, and IMO that is a brand name I do trust, I don't know how good bad or indifferent the food is that they produce as I have no personal experience with it at all.

I would expect it to live up to my preconcieved expectation of their parent company (Nestle)though, which I find very good.
    At least Nestle is more food driven company than colagate..

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    BTW, as far as extrusion goes?

I knew what it was, just waiting to hear an answer.......

It is very simply taking a material and forming it through a die. there are literally thousands of food products made this way. There is nothing inherently wrong with it.

I'm glad you answered that LH, as I was going to use another example
    to explain the same process. It's just food product mixed in a machine
    and push into a recognized form & packaged for sale. Many,many human
    foods are made this way.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

As someone with a breed that is very prone to bloat I wouldn't feed Science Diet as their meal(s), maybe a dog biscuit now and again though. I had a 5lbs bag given to me by the vet and when it was soaked it expanded terribly. I don't get that with Canidae. I don't know but I'm guessing that the price variances for a 40lb bag of SD is WIDELY different in different states because there's no way anyone here could buy a 40lbs bag of SD for anywhere near $27.00 or $28.00.

However, I do keep cans of SD i/d on hand and use it periodically because of Chloe's condiiton.

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Collie
    As someone with a breed that is very prone to bloat I wouldn't feed Science Diet as their meal(s), maybe a dog biscuit now and again though. I had a 5lbs bag given to me by the vet and when it was soaked it expanded terribly. I don't get that with Canidae. I don't know but I'm guessing that the price variances for a 40lb bag of SD is WIDELY different in different states because there's no way anyone here could buy a 40lbs bag of SD for anywhere near $27.00 or $28.00.

However, I do keep cans of SD i/d on hand and use it periodically because of Chloe's condiiton.
    Exactly my point on swelling from extruded foods!

It doesn't matter whether the food is extruded, chipped, ground, or molded. If it is made from ingredients that are going to swell, it swells. The swelling has more to do with the ingredients than the process.

Copper pipe is extruded. Does that mean I have to worry about the pipes in my house swelling?

Hummm, I've never met the dog who would eat a whole 5lb bag at one
    meal.Of course it expands some with water. A loaf of bread would change
    shape if you poor water on it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    Hummm, I've never met the dog who would eat a whole 5lb bag at one
    meal.Of course it expands some with water. A loaf of bread would change
    shape if you poor water on it.
    Lizbud- you take 2 cups of some food, add warm water ( temp of the gut) and it will come up to 4 cups.. THAT'S the problem.. Unless its ground up before feeding- that is what happens.
    As someone that has lost a dog to bloat- missed by the vet discounted as gastric upset- IT HAPPENS SOOOOOO FAST.. And the pain is intense- its a horrid way to die!

*sigh*.....I didn't think I would have had to have stated that I soaked "some" of the food and not the WHOLE 5lbs bag and I also didn't say that my dog ate a whole 5lbs bag of it either.

So for clarification: I soaked about a 1/2 cup it nearly doubled as opposed to another dry kibble that did NOT expand in near a doubled capacity. When I said I "soaked it", I didn't think that I'd really have to clarify that by "it" I meant the SD. And I'm very well aware that bread expands, I wasn't soaking bread. And I'm also well aware that most foods expand when water is added, my point was, this food expanded much more than the one I'm using.

Copper is extruded.......not the pipe.

Copper is extracted from ore. Copper pipe is extruded.

I feed Cincy a mix of Science Deit and Nutro Natural Choice. It was not my first choice, but the vet recommended the Sceince Diet when she was having bladder/kidney issues. Once those were taken care of, I added the Nutro and also mix in some pumpkin and raw meat. We tried Premium Kibbles, LIke Innova, and they were too rich for her. She gained weight and had the crystal issues. This is what works for her.

Sadie and Spot have been on Sensible Choice, but I have heard that is being discontinued, so we are searching. Right now they are trying Eagle Pack Holistic. They also get pumpkin and rawmeat mixed in.

No, pipe is not EXTRUDED, the copper is.......AFTER it's EXTRACTED from the ore......

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom
    I feed Cincy a mix of Science Deit and Nutro Natural Choice. It was not my first choice, but the vet recommended the Sceince Diet when she was having bladder/kidney issues. Once those were taken care of, I added the Nutro and also mix in some pumpkin and raw meat. We tried Premium Kibbles, LIke Innova, and they were too rich for her. She gained weight and had the crystal issues. This is what works for her.

Sadie and Spot have been on Sensible Choice, but I have heard that is being discontinued, so we are searching. Right now they are trying Eagle Pack Holistic. They also get pumpkin and rawmeat mixed in.
    Eagle pack Holistic is a very good food! And I liked the pumpkin and rawmeat idea-.. ( no bones.. lol... ) GOOD ONE THERE!

The process in which copper pipe is made is extrusion.

Again, being that dog food which is made through extrusion swells, does that mean the copper piped in my house are going to swell?

As far as eating 5 pounds at one time- I left out a 10 bag of chicken out once. It was on the counter to thaw- .. I went to take a nap- and you guessed it- Zubin and galina pulled it down off the counter. Of the 10 pounds, those two consumed 8 of the 10 pounds in raw half frozen chicken! From that time forward- the chicken goes in the sink- alias although at counter height- they have to reach into the sink to get it. Thank God they didnt eat the plastic. Now if I take a nap or otherwise out of the room for long periods- they are put in their dog room or with me..