Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will they ever get along?

Will they ever get along?

It been nearly a year and Tuna and Corkscrew still don't get along. I feel like we've tried everything, we've tried feliway plugins, rescue remedy and the gift of time. Nothing works! Everytime they see each other a huge fight breaks out. A couple of weeks ago I came home and they must have had a fight from underneath the door. I found blood all over the door in my room as well as the floor surrounding the door. I never figured out where the blood came from. However it was a few weeks ago and Corkscrew seems fine, it had to have been his blood since he was the one in my bedroom.

Today Corkscrew escaped my bedroom and ran into Tuna. As you can see that didn't go over well.

Are there some cats that just never get along? It such a pain having to make sure that they are always seperated, then everytime they do run into each other both Alexa and I start to panic. Neither one of us wants to break up the fight for fear of being bitten. Usually I end up covering my arms really well then throwing a towel over Corkscrew to carry him away.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Our oldest (18 yrs) and youngest (12 yrs) still hate each other. We kept the younger one in closed off rooms when we weren't around. They actually sleep together now, which has just started in the last year. It's not because they like each other, it's because the younger one senses weakness in the older one. If they look each other in the eye, there is still hissing and attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945
    Our oldest (18 yrs) and youngest (12 yrs) still hate each other. We kept the younger one in closed off rooms when we weren't around. They actually sleep together now, which has just started in the last year. It's not because they like each other, it's because the younger one senses weakness in the older one. If they look each other in the eye, there is still hissing and attacking.
    It looks like I have a long time to wait! Corkscrew is 6 and Tuna is 3.
    I've been Defrosted!

Geesh!!! I have never seen so much fur from a cat fight before!! I guess I have been lucky, as all the cats I have owned have always gotten along!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Have you tired shutting them in different room immediately after these fights and giving them both time outs? I did that with Samantha and it only took her about 3 days to learn to STOP attacking. Each time, I left her in there longer and longer and she could not stand being shut in a room. They still are not great friends now but they do tolerate each other being in the same room or walking by. I am going to have to try that with Kitty Boo now.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

You could try Catty1's "feliway collar". Spraying liquid feliway directly on a nylon collar and make Corkscrew AnD Tuna wear one.

Of course you may just have to send Corkscrew to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    Have you tired shutting them in different room immediately after these fights and giving them both time outs? I did that with Samantha and it only took her about 3 days to learn to STOP attacking. Each time, I left her in there longer and longer and she could not stand being shut in a room. They still are not great friends now but they do tolerate each other being in the same room or walking by. I am going to have to try that with Kitty Boo now.
    Right now they are always in seperate rooms. We kind of gave up trying to get them to be friends. Everytime they see each other it's like this. Many times at least one of them will end up bleeding. I've really never seen anything like it. So we finally decided it was best to just always keep them seperated. However sometimes one will escape and it leads to a big nasty fight.
    I've been Defrosted!

OH MY GOSH, Laura!!! That was some fight to leave that much fur behind! I don't blame you and Alexis for being tired of this! What about Tibby? Does Tuna get along with Tibby? I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

The big problem is that niether one will give up. When we were really making an effort and getting them used to each other they would spend up to an hour just staring and hissing and growling at each other until one would move, then the fight would start and we'd have to seperate them.
    I've been Defrosted!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    OH MY GOSH, Laura!!! That was some fight to leave that much fur behind! I don't blame you and Alexis for being tired of this! What about Tibby? Does Tuna get along with Tibby? I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Kim
    Everyone else gets along just fine. If we lock up Tuna then the other three have no problems. Or if Corkscrew is locked up then once again the other three are fine. These two just really have a problem with each other.
    I've been Defrosted!

I hope that's not cat fur on the floor,geeeeesh, I had no idea cats fought...lol...point proven.

I Have Heard Of The Fur Flying , But Wow!!!thats A Lot Of Fur On The Floor.
    The Princess Has A Uneasy Realtionship With The Other Cats , And Keeps Her Distance.
    But All In All Theres Enough Room That They Can Avoid Each Other.you May Have To Face The Fact That As Much As Possible They Have To Be Seperated.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I was thinking that sure was an odd pattern carpet you have until slow me finally realized it was cat fur. WOW!!!!

I have some that fight and seem like they will never get along but nothing to that extent! Maybe valium or drug like that would help.

From Decker with Love

OH MY STARS!!!! I can't get over the amount of cat fur.

I hope they weren't seriously injured. Mooky and Sades have had a few run ins with each other, but it never landed up with that much fur left behind.
    Sades is usually the instigator and he gets grounded in a room for about a week. That works for a while until the next bout starts.

You mentioned that they have faced each other just hissing and growling at each other for about an hour and then if one of them moves, the attack happens.
    What if before the attack, when there is no hissing or growling, you pick up Corkscrew, tell him, "Good boy," then put him in the room and give him some treats. Then do the same thing with Tuna. But when the attack happens, tell them, "Bad boy," put them in a room with no treats.
    Hopefully they will get the jest of it and not attack each other.

I'm sorry you are having to go through with this still after a year.
    I pray that some solution can help solve this.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

After 15 months, my two boys are still this way. I keep the younger one locked in the master bedroom, which is pretty much HIS room since we sleep in another room now... he doesn't mind being locked up.

My husband agrees, all that fur on the floor looks like our house.