Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chow Puppy Found

Chow Puppy Found

Ok, I need some help here.

This morning a girl I work with called me & said there was a chow puppy that someone had dumped at her brothers house. She thought it had been there for about 3 days. So me & Ashley went out there, we couldn't even get withing 15-20 ft of it without it getting up and moving away from us. We got in the car & tried to get closer & it ran across the street. The neighbor said it had been there about a week, but noone had been around to look for it, & noone could catch it.
    Ashley tried to get a little closer again, but it ran back across the street (it's a fairly busy street too). One of the other neighbors gave Ashley a couple of treats and presto! It finally let her get close enough to get ahold of it. She did really well on the ride home.
    Well, now the hard part, the introduction to Angus & Roxey. We just brought them out in the front yard, so they could see her, & of course Angus wanted to charge her Roxey, all she wanted to do was play, and this scared the poor little girl. She is very submissive and timid, but wags her tail when we talk baby talk to her. Finally tonight after smelling each other through the screen we let them all in together. As long as she's not running around or anything, it all goes pretty well. But of course Roxey keeps wanting to play which makes Angus get riled up. They are all laying here being good right now.
    Now, I'm not sure if we will be able to keep her or not, it really depends on how Angus & Roxey act towards her, so I was wondering if you all know anyone who would want her. She seems to have a very good temperment so far, and wants to follow us around. Seems like she like me & Ash a little better than Mark, but maybe it's just the baby talk! She still has a little puppy breath (so sweet!), so I'm not quite sure how old she is...maybe 4 months or so
    I won't take her to the shelter, she'd probably just be put to sleep, so just in case we're not able to keep her, does anyone know any no kill shelters in Ohio or close to here?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Here is a couple pics of her (she looks actually bigger than she is-it's mostly fur!):

P.S. Is there anything I should do concerning any diseases? I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep her so I don't really want to spend a ton of $$ on her. Does that sound horrible? I don't mean it to. Please help!
    Last edited by anna_66; 04-17-2003 at 08:53 AM.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

What a sweet face!

First I'd check her for fleas/ticks, (is her fur badly matted underneath?) maybe give her a bath and a flea collar, quick trip to the vet if you can ...

What a face! Bet she's half that size wet ...

I'd of course check with all the local shelters/vets/animal control, see if anyone is missing a chow pup ... just in case she belongs to someone but got loose/lost ...

What a sweet face!

What a cutie pie!

I am not so sure she is pure Chow. I am not that familiar with the breed, but to me, she looks like she is mixed with something else. Not that mixed is bad, by any means. It may play to her favor as Chows have a bad reputation, although I don't know if what they say about them is true. Much like the rap they give Pit Bulls.

Anyway, I am sorry I cannot help you. I am not that close to Ohio. I bet someone would love to have her. I wonder if she is a runaway? Seems as though she must have been taken care of somewhat, if she's in good shape.

What a sweet face she has. And lots of fur.

Keep us posted!

You are a sweetheart for taking care of her.

OH
    MY
    GOD
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

************drool****************

I know someone who would take her in a heartbeat. He volunteers at the shelter and has 3 big gorgeous rescued Chows. They're looking for a female to add to their crew.

There's a Wellness Clinic in my town that is half the price of normal vets. Do you have anything like that? She should be health checked and given her shots. I would opt for Advantage, Revolution, or Front Line over a flea collar. I've heard of animals having such bad reactions to those, they had to be put to sleep.

If you can't keep her, let me know. I will mention it to the guy I know and see if he's willing to have her transported out here somehow.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I havn't know too many chows but her face looks so much like a lion!!!.... She looks real happy I bet she was having a blast getting to play with you and Ashley... hope you can find her a home ... she looks very cute and sweet!! What are yall calling her have yall given her a name?!?!?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

If that were my dog, lol, I would shave it to look like a lion. We You know so there is short fur except for around her head and the little fur on her tail. But I am just crazy like that. We saw one on emergency vets that was shaved like that, he was so cool looking! My god that face, I'm in love, but would never own a chow, had a bad experience with a chow. But still, I can't get over that face!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Anna, What a doll you and Ashley have rescued! She is adorable! Have you given her a name yet?

Call shelters, animal control, rescue groups, and vets in your area to see if anyone has reported her missing. Make signs and put them up at the vets and groomers in your area about finding her a home.

I would suggest you take her to the vet and get her parvo/distember shot and rabies shot. Be sure she is tick and fle free. You do not want Roxey and Angus getting fleas and brining them home.

Hope things work out for this lil one. Keep us posted!

Wow, what a beautiful dog. She is so lucky to have had you rescue her. I hope you find a great home for that baby . Good luck.

She looks pure to me. Have you contacted Chow Rescue? Please contact Chow Chows to the Rescue
    rehoming chows and chow mixes
    Diana (614)268-1959 [email protected]

They may be able to help.

Good luck and let us know!
    Amber C.
    Animal Rescue Foundation
    Adoption Coordinator
    Mobile, Alabama
    www.animalrescuemobile.org

Mom to: Allotta, Icey, Ecko, Alaska & Arizona

Bless his little heart, what a sweet face.

Well so far so good! We are calling her Huney (weird way to spell it hu?!). It's just the color of her face that made me want to call her that. She cried last night when I put her in the kennel to sleep, so I got up and let her out...nothing. I put her back in for 15 min, and she cried again. I kept trying this, but to no avail. So finally I got up, slept on the couch with Angus & Roxey laying beside me on the floor, and she finally went to sleep in the kitchen on the lineloium (spelling?). At first after being out, she still wanted to cry, guess she still didn't know what to do.
    But I did get about 3 hrs of sleep alltogether. I have to go to work, so Ashley is going to keep an eye on her and our dogs. Maybe let them be together a little at a time outside. All 3 together isn't the best thing right now, it really scares her. But as long as they are all in the house together, it's not so bad. Thanks for some of the tips, and I'm still not sure about keeping her (but she is such a huney pie!! I'll keep you updated.
    Aly, if it is a possibility and the guy you know wants to transport her I would be very willing to. Sounds like he would be the perfect person for her! Keep me updated on this, ok? Bye!
    Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Anna, I would also put an ad in the paper for a found dog before I gave her away. We always keep ours for a week before doing anything, in case an owner shows up.

She sure would be tempting to keep though, she's a beauty!!

Good luck and keep us posted on pretty little Huney!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

What an adorable face! Bless you for rescuing her! I hope u can find a good home for her, she is so adorable!

SHE IS ADORABLE!!!! Perhaps if you decide to keep her, she could be your neices dog! Just a suggestion.

Anna, you and Ashley were wonderful in going out of your way to save the pup from the streets and a possible horrible fate!! Thank you for being so caring.

She is absolutely gorgeous!! I've always thought that Chow Chows were a beautiful breed! Good luck in your search for a home.

Sue
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)