Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nookie

Nookie

I'm having such a rough day. Early in the morning, the shelter manager told me she needed to talk to me before I left for the day. I asked her to tell me at that time but she said it really needed to be after the shelter was closed. So after we closed up, I went into her office and told her I didn't want to know what she had to tell me because my stomach was hurting and I was scared at what she was going to say. She then told me that Nookie, my boy who I've been taking special care of, is going to have to be put to sleep. She named a list of diseases they found out he had but I couldn't hear anything she was saying anymore. It really feels like my heart has been ripped from my chest. I ran out of work and got home as soon as possible because I couldn't even talk. I wish I had stayed because I want to know when they have to put him to sleep. I really want to be able to take him home for a few days and show him love and comfort before he leaves for Rainbow Bridge. I love this dog so much and everyone knew it. I guess thats why she had the consideration to tell me ahead of time. I hope to be able to take him home and show you guys pictures. I really really really hope they'll give him those extra days. He is so endearing. He's missing teeth and has a long tongue that is always hanging out of his mouth. He's my sweet boy.

I'm so devastated and there's no one here to talk to except cats and dogs so I guess I just had to tell someone about all this

I just read this post and most of it probably doesn't make sense but I'm having a hard time making sense right now.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly it does make sense and you have come to the right place. We are so sorry that you are going through this. As I have said many times, I admire people such as yourself who give themselves 100% to animals that have no homes. I think it was very thoughtful of the shelter manager to warn you ahead of time. I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of Nookie although it will be sad, knowing that he has such a short time left. I know that you and Reece and Lolly will make his remaining days as happy as possible.

Aly,

I'm so very sorry to hear about Nookie. His life, though not
    long enough, has meaning . He is loved, he is cared for &
    I'm sure he knows that.Time is not the same to a dog.These
    days when you've cared for him are what he'll remember.
    If you can talk about him, tell us what he looks like, age,
    personality, etc. I'd love to see a picture.Please hang in
    there Aly, there are so many pups & kitties who love and
    need you too. Liz & Buddy.

Aly I am sorry for the pain you are feeling tonight. It sounds like you have been giving Nookie loving attention - so you have already helped make his days better. I hope you will be able to spend some more time with him. If anyone can show him he is loved you can Aly.

Aly, I'm so sorry to hear about this, it must be very devistating for you, seeing you loved him so much.
    Like Pam said, you came to the right place. Not sure I have any inspirational words for you, but I do care and hope you get to spend some time with him before he leaves us for the rainbow bridge. If you do, I'd love to see some pictures of the sweetheart you care so much about.

Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Awwwwwwwwwww

Aly, the amount of attention and love you have already given Nookie is enough for him I am sure. I know it must hurt so much to see a bud put to rest, but if he is so sick, there is not much else to do. A picture of the pup would be good. Think of all the other sweet animals he will be joining when he does go. He will be at peace. Bless his soul and bless your heart.

((((((((((Aly))))))))).

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

I hope knowing we are here for you helps a little! I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Oh dear dear Aly....I'm so sorry.

Love, hugs and kisses from me to you...

I am sorry you have to go through this Aly. I am sire you have made his time with you the best of his life and he appreciates that. And at Rainbow Bridge, there are no diseases and he will feel no pain.

achy breaky heart

Oh our dear sweet Aly, I know how devastating this news must be. Are you sure you can handle bringing him home and won't make yourself sick in the process? It makes me sick just thinking about this sad sad circumstance and how much you care for this dear little creature whom you must let go. God bless you Aly and may He be with your Nookie on his journey to the Bridge.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Oh Aly. I'm so, so heartbroken for you and for Nookie. You hurt so deeply because you love so deeply. I too am amazed at those who have the courage to face the possibility of such loss and sadness, day after day. But then again, your precious charges, as well as yourself, are reward every day with all of the good that you do for so many. I understand you wanting to take Nookie home so that he may know the love and comfort of a real home. I only pray that should you decide to do this you will not make yourself sick. You are such a sensitive soul and we can't bear to see you hurting. When you see Nookie, please give him a kiss for me, ok. Oh, this is so heartbreaking, and I want to cry. God Bless you Nookie and Aly.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

God bless you for all you do Aly. (((((HUUUGGSS))))
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm on my way now to go pick Nookie up from work. I'm planning on talking to them and seeing if there's any way he can live with his conditions. If so, I'll adopt him. If not, he'll have 3 days to rest in a home where he is loved before he has to leave.
    Alyson

Tight Hugs!
    Aly you are such a strong loving person. I wouldn't be able to handle doing the work that you do. I have lost animals that i have saved and i just can't do it anymore. You are such a sweet loving person. I do hope you get nookie. He will be in great hands with you.. Huge Hugs!

I have him here with me. I talked more with the shelter manager about his health issues and its all still a big blur in my head. The good news is that his heart, lungs, and kidneys are fine. It sounds like he has possible Addison's disease, possible liver shunt, liver too small, crystals in urine, stones, and neurological damage. I am going to call the vet who saw him tomorrow and see what options I have. I will definately need to put him on a special diet and he'll need surgery to get rid of the stones (they are small still). She mentioned it'd be best to prolong the surgery until I can get him stronger. I can feel all of his bones when I pet him, he's so skinny. This is going to cost a lot so I think going to New York for that internship is going to have to be put off for awhile.

He went after Reece a couple minutes after I brought him home. I knew it was coming because he randomly attacks the dogs at work when I have him with another dog. Its weird. The shelter manager thinks it has to do with his neurological damage. Who knows. I'll post pictures and the story of how he and I became so attached later.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. No matter what happens, I always know I can come here for comfort. Please keep Nookie in your prayers. I hope when he does go to Rainbow Bridge, that it will be due to natural causes.
    Alyson