Thread: Greyhounds

Greyhounds

I hope I have this right Borzoid, never posted a thread before. I know your dogs aren't Greyhounds, but I was wondering if they were similar in character as I described??

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    I hope I have this right Borzoid, never posted a thread before. I know your dogs aren't Greyhounds, but I was wondering if they were similar in character as I described??
    Extremely similar- they are couch pototoes and a single good long walk a dog works. This is NOT a breed that can be off leash without a fence in yard- the reason is not to hunt " bunnies" but that they can move so fast to get out of ear shot real quick.
    With greyhounds or any of the larger sighthounds except Wolfhounds, usualy a run like in a high school foot ball field ( walk the fences first to make sure they are closed) once a week is more than enough. I lived in a town home with a tiny yard- and took Hottie for years about 3/4 of a mile down then back daily- all he needed.
    Greyhounds are sensitive to cold- so a light dog coat is needed in cold temperatures if not on a long walk to keep warm.
    They are aloof with strangers- but that doesnt mean "rude".. Its more like " dont touch me without washing your hands" than " argh- you are rude.." . They are also NOT barkers- any bark needs to be investigated as it means business! They are not watch dogs in normal ways- but they tell you someone is here- like my video I had of the borzoi alarm system.. They pace the floor..
    All sigthounds require a couch.. or a good bed- they are people dogs and consider themselves as such. A racer may not understand simple things like stairs or glass doors- but the doors are solved by using post it notes at the dogs height..
    Anything else you need to know?

LOL....actually you covered just about everything she was asing about. She does have a huge fenced in yard, but is close to an outdoor skating ring in summer when it is not in use, so that's perfect. She definitely wants a dog that sleeps on the bed with her and cuddles on the couch. I think maybe she has made the perfect choice for herself. She is just too wishy washy to own a brred that needs a firm hand....like a Shepherd, Rottie, etc. I can see that when we go visiting we will be sharing the couch with a big baby lol...
    Thanks for the help borzoid, I figured you would have the answers.

If you adopt a greyhound from a good adoption group, chances are it's probably illegal to allow your dog off-lead in an unfenced area. Most, if not all, groups have a contract that requires you to keep your dog on a leash unless you are in a securely fenced-in area. No buts ands or ifs.

It's not necessarily true that all greyhounds are aloof with strangers. In fact, the contrary is true. One of the main reasons greys tend to make such wonderful therapy dogs is because they LOOOVE humans. They love ear rubs, kisses, hugs, and gentle pats. They live to be fawned over. Giselle has never met a stranger. Everybody she meets is an instant friend. However, these dogs are not Golden Retrievers. They show their affection in a much more reserved manner. They're also much more sensitive. There are many "spooky" or shy greyhounds and they take more time to trust a person, i.e. allow you to pet them. To the unexperienced person, this might seem like "aloofness". In most cases, it's just a normal part of greyhounds and their sensitivity.

For recommended reading:
    Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan
    Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood

As was mentioned previously, greys need comfy beds. Most often, this means your couch. Greys have funny ways of sleeping as you'll soon find out, so I would not recommend forking $100+ on a fancy schmancy bed. Chances are your dog would much rather sleep in the cat's bed. Case in point:

But since you asked about character, I'll answer accordingly. Greys, in a nutshell, are pure lovebugs. They're mellow creatures in the house and they love to be loved! They're large, goofy, sensitive dogs. And at the end of the day, there's nothing like a wet greyhound schnoz planted firmly on your lap.

Btw, is there a reason why you say "borzoid"? Is it an inside joke or something? At first I thought it was a typo, but now my curiousity is peaked

Aloof meaning- they do not fawn over guests ( a plus at the door meeting), like to be petting- but very low key. My guys do more pacing waiting for someone to come up the walk then once they get in the door.. lol. They love to be admired!
    One more note- most of the sighthounds are sensitive to chemicals. Things like flea shampoos or treatments need to come from the vet. Do not use things like " Bio-Spot", Hertz etc. Mine do well on Frontline, but Advantage caused a reaction with Femka. If they apply one of those- the dog needs to be observed for several hours. Any signs of problems- drooling, shaking, vomiting, or staggering- WASH IT OFF IMMEDIATLY like with Dawn.
    She also needs to understand, except for the Irish Wolfhound, sighthounds live a long time especially considering they are a " giant breed". I have met several greyhounds that were 15,16, and even two that were 17.
    Their metabolism is fast too, so they need a good food with high digestable fat. And tell her to be prepared for statments like " boy the dog is too thin" and know it is natural to look " thin" compared to like a lab.. Accept what the vet says about the weight- not people that do not know the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Aloof meaning- they do not fawn over guests ( a plus at the door meeting), like to be petting- but very low key. My guys do more pacing waiting for someone to come up the walk then once they get in the door.. lol. They love to be admired!
    One more note- most of the sighthounds are sensitive to chemicals. Things like flea shampoos or treatments need to come from the vet. Do not use things like " Bio-Spot", Hertz etc. Mine do well on Frontline, but Advantage caused a reaction with Femka. If they apply one of those- the dog needs to be observed for several hours. Any signs of problems- drooling, shaking, vomiting, or staggering- WASH IT OFF IMMEDIATLY like with Dawn.
    She also needs to understand, except for the Irish Wolfhound, sighthounds live a long time especially considering they are a " giant breed". I have met several greyhounds that were 15,16, and even two that were 17.
    Their metabolism is fast too, so they need a good food with high digestable fat. And tell her to be prepared for statments like " boy the dog is too thin" and know it is natural to look " thin" compared to like a lab.. Accept what the vet says about the weight- not people that do not know the breed.

Well, I guess she really did pick the right breed. She loves to spend on coats and stuff for her dogs. And the longer lived the better as she falls apart when she loses a dog, meaning, literally falls apart. And she's just the right person to fawn over a dog all night. We've never had to use any of those medications or strong shampoos, for some reason fleas aren't prevalent here.
    As for being aloof with strangers, that's the way Shepherds should be too. If they jump and lick every stranger you know you have a nervous shepherd, not desirable. As for food, she works for a dog food company but wants to feed raw. You feed raw don't you Borzoi??? Not to worry, the more fussing and spending she can do, the happier she is...lol...
    And of course we are no different than anyone else, we do have leash laws and we obey then. But we are allowed to let then run free in an enclosed empty ball park or outdoor hockey rink in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Well, I guess she really did pick the right breed. She loves to spend on coats and stuff for her dogs. And the longer lived the better as she falls apart when she loses a dog, meaning, literally falls apart. And she's just the right person to fawn over a dog all night. We've never had to use any of those medications or strong shampoos, for some reason fleas aren't prevalent here.
    As for being aloof with strangers, that's the way Shepherds should be too. If they jump and lick every stranger you know you have a nervous shepherd, not desirable. As for food, she works for a dog food company but wants to feed raw. You feed raw don't you Borzoi??? Not to worry, the more fussing and spending she can do, the happier she is...lol...
    And of course we are no different than anyone else, we do have leash laws and we obey then. But we are allowed to let then run free in an enclosed empty ball park or outdoor hockey rink in the summer.
    I will be more than happy to set her up on a raw diet. If you check out feeding raw, you will see the 4 step video which makes it easier for someone to start it. Or I can email you with it to forward to her.. Give me your email on pm only please or where I can send it..
    I like peace in my life after all those years of having to think one step or 10 steps ahead of the shepherds- to me sighthounds are the best well kept secret.. I do miss having cats, but the love I received from my crew- I wouldnt change it for the world!

I have a former co-worker who adopted a retired racing greyhound. The rescue program told her the dog should basically always have a soft place to rest or sleep (a dog bed, blanket, or help him learn what furniture he's allowed onto). Not to sleep on the floor because he doesn't have enough coat or body fat to protect his skin. She has one particular sofa in the family room and wanted him to learn he was always allowed there - that was so much fun! We taught him how to hop up there and make himself comfortable. That is "his" spot now. She started teaching him that another person might sit on the other side of the sofa - now he hops up there and gives a look like "Who's going to sit with me?" Stinker. Watching him become a family member has been 10 tons of fun. He likes ice cream cones with no ice cream in them - just the cone! And Nilla vanilla wafers, and dog treats.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

A friend of mine also had a retired racing grey, this was a beauitful creature and had so much love to give.. This lovely animal had to be sent home this last summer after much struggle with organ failure due to cancers. But he gave my friend such an appreciation for life and the need to share with someone or something, (he is single, nearing mid-age). He is taking courses during summer to finish his masters in music education. This is his last year for that, he has already decided to get another retired racing grey when the summer is up, so he can devote proper time to his new family member.. I am not sure that all greys picked up this way, end up in such a loving situation but they are definately capable of the love to give.
    Not quite on topic, but thought it was worth the space.
    "I have been DEFROSTED"
    Corgis are energetic, agile, intellegent,
    lively, cheerfull, sturdy and loyal...
    So in otherwords a corgi can be a
    short stocky never ending fur ball
    of fun..What the not so understanding
    may call a pain in the rear...

You raised an excellent point, corgieguy. Greyhounds, in particular, appear to be genetically predisposed to osteosarcoma - a HUGE killer of greyhounds. I'm sure that almost every greyhound owner has had some experience with osteo. In fact, OSU began a greyhound cancer research facility:
    http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/1872.htm

Mike001, if your daughter is interested in the possible health problems for her future dog, she should check out the above link. They have a very nice list of FAQs that will come in handy. It addresses the issue of anesthesia, high RBC, creatinine levels, etc. etc. Greys are very unique, and it doesn't end at their physical appearances. They're unique health-wise as well

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Other than household things I don't know much about the breed. heath problems and the such... I know they love to run and are very friendly. Mine's extremely tolerant but I dunno if that's a breed trait...

Oh... retired racers HATE stairs. (especially wied ones... spiral, ect. )

Greyhounds, on whoel, I've found to be timid... not the bravest of dogs. 100% NOT good watchdogs... They'll lick a stranger before bite them. (It's been proven! lol... they don't show mercy on plush toys though! They're a grey favourite )
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL