Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my sister says to de-claw

my sister says to de-claw

http://www.declawing.com/

I showed her that and she said..
    " but there are many sides to that. it's like only giving the cons of abortion, not the pros. i don't know. i know that cats suffer pain, i really understand that. but honestly, i don't think i would have a problem, cuz if i had a cat, it would be done. but thats where you and me are TONS different cuz you are more affectionate than me. honestly, i'm a mean *****. but whatev. "

he pops those soft paws off like nobodies bussiness lol.

Thats A Tough Choice , But I Would Say No.
    But Then Again I Have Not Laid Out Thousands Of Dolars On Designer Furniture That Becomes A Scratching Post.
    I Pray You Do Not Declaw.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

trust me. I'm not. I didn't get Ashley done, why would I get Jake? lol

When I got my cat he was declawed and he seems fine and is a happy and sweet boy.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

my sister says to de-claw

I do not beleive & have no respect for de-clawing & for anyone that does this to an inocent baby.. How would you like your nails pulled off.. Oh sure your asleep & in no pain when the declawing is done.. But wait till the feeling starts to come back & how painfull it could be.. Also if this baby has to always live indoors.. What if you have to give this baby up to someone else & they cant keep in the house & this baby is dumped outside.. Cats are meant to have claws.. They can not defend themselves & they can not climb a tree outside & or indoors.. I cant count how many cats I see on Pet Finder de-clawed.. I have nine babies indoors & all have their claws.. All the furniture is in tack.. I keep the sharp points tipped every two weeks & have a lot of scratching post around & it works very well.. I am sorry I got on my soap box = but that is how I feel about the matter.. Please No De-Clawing..
    Last edited by lvpets2002; 02-16-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

she compared it to neutering

I've heard to many stories about how the cat changed soo much after getting declawed. How once they were nice and sweet, then after they were mean spirited.

Have you heard of the new thing called Tendonectomy ? I read that it's just the same basically. Done different, claws intact. Just the tendons are cut so they can't get their claws out.

I know someone who just got this done to their kitten. She said she was up walking around like nothing happend. I told her before she got it done about declawing. Then she told me about the Tendonectomy and I was skeptic about it.

My furniture is fine, it's my beds that they get. I have scratch posts and stuff, but Jake would rather use the bed and carpet lol. I don't mind him using the carpet, as long as its' not the same spot every time. Cus then the carpet would get messed up. If he likes this carpet I have on my floor, maybe I can find the same stuff and make several posts with it and have a couple around.

Just wondering it the spray method would help you at all?

You make one spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water. Spray that on YOUR furniture, where you do NOT want the cat. THis is diluted enough that you won't notice the smell, but the cat will.

One spray bottle is a catnip spray. Steep some catnip in boiling water for a tea, when it cools put it in a spray bottle, spray the CAT furniture with that.

Do NOT mix up your bottles, ha ha.

Maybe I already made this suggestion to you; if so, I apologize for the repeat!

Sandra

If he likes your carpet, making a scratching post out of it probably will not help. He'll just assume that it's ok to scratch on the carpet. At least that's what happened w/me. As for declawing: I asked my previous vet years ago if it hurt cats and he said "Let me ask you, Mary, if I pulled your nails off, think it would hurt?" That was all I needed to hear. He does it for people who insist on it but he doesn't approve and he always tries to talk them out of it. In the end, of course, it's your decision, but since you asked, that's my opinion.

Blessings,
    Mary

cat declawing !!!!!!?????

I normally stick to the dog forum, but I thought I've had loads of cats I would have a look, and I saw this thread. In all my days I have never heard of such a thing, I'm not a 'hardcore' pet owner and I love my dog but he is just that a dog, so this is coming from heart. Why on earth would there ever be reason to declaw a cat. It is just ridiculous!! Cats have claws isnt that just a given?, if claws are a problem then dont get a cat, get a stuffed animal!! The poor cats that have had this done to them must be so frustrated doing this to them surely deprives them of all their pleasure in life.
    [Gwen & Puppy

The United States is the ONLY country that still allows declawing. It's banned in Europe.

When people ask me about declawing, I tell them to have their fingers and toes cut off at the first joint, then be forced to walk around on all fours. Because, that's the same thing a cat has to endure.

Declawing can cause biting issues, as the cat now has no way to defend itself. It can also cause litterbox and behavioral problems.

That's my thought on that!! Oh, and it is NOT the same as spaying/neutering, as cats don't have to walk around on their testicles or uteruses.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My sister says to declaw

When I first adopted Groucho he was 7 weeks old. The first thing I discussed with our vet was neutering, the second was declawing. Dr. Kenny explained the declawing process, how the first joint of the toes is removed and complications after the procedure. Doctor said his claws are his first line of defense should he get out and there is pain for the cat. Dr. Kenny answered all my questions while making it very clear that she DOES NOT endorse this procedure unless it's medically necessary due to serious injury or disease. After our discussion, I decided not to have it done to Groucho. Talk to your vet about other non-invasive options that won't result in pain or disability for your kitty.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Great advice, Momcat!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

OK, here's my opinion. I think it's cruel to declaw a cat! If you want a cat, take it with claws and all, or don't get a cat!

If you're so worried about furniture, you could also clip the nails - it IS possible to learn how to do it! Only sharp nails will ruin the furniture. Believe me, I have a cat who I could hardly lift, but now, even nailclipping is not a problem.

I hope this procedure will banned in USA soon! At least some vets refuse to do it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Ashley - are the Soft Paws glued on with enough glue? And how long does he have them on before he pops them off?

Claws do have sheaths, and the Softpaws will "shed" when the sheaths do.

Regular claw trimming helps a lot too!

AND putting catnip spray on where they SHOULD scratch will help a lot. Freedom was right. And they DO hate the smell of vinegar!

My cats have claws. I deal with it. Why should I hurt a living being because they cause damage to a "thing" that I can replace?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

cat declawing !!!!!!?????

I am still in shock about this, I'm from England and apparently it's banned which is good, but I just cannot believe that anyone would even think about doing it, how on earth did it come about in the first place?? It takes alot to shock me, but this is just unbelievable are there campaigns or anything to get this banned in the U.S. ?
    [Gwen & Puppy