Thread: Educate a child - for $126 per year!

Educate a child - for $126 per year!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my thread regarding the terrible conditions here in Lagos - will be updating it in a moment!

Would you believe that here in Nigeria, a local child can be educated for under $130 per YEAR.

I received an email from the SAWC (South African Women's Club) here in Lagos. They are non-profit, and in addition to organising coffee mornings, social activities for SA families here, and newcommers guides they are have a chosen charity which they raise funds for.

This charity is a PRIMARY SCHOOL for local (Nigerian) Kiddies. The conditions are NOT the best, and the kids may not all have desks, pretty uniforms etc, but they have ONE thing going for them - they come from VERY poor, and sometimes VERY large families, but are blessed with a parent who recognises that the way to break the cycle of poverty is EDUCATION.

Many of the teachers at the school are volunteers, but many of the children attending are unable to pay ANY kind of fees, so are reliant on sponsors.

I have a document with details of how the funds are administered, a list of children who need sponsorship etc. Each sponsor receives:
    - a photo of the child they are sponsoring
    - a copy of the child's previous report card
    - a copy of each term's report card going forward, and confirmation of attendance.

(You may choose a child from the list, or have one allocated at random. You may also choose NOT to receive the photo and updates, if you feel this may be too emotional).

The program is strictly regulated - EVERY CENT goes directly to the school for your sponsored child fees - there are NO admin fees etc deducted.

I just wanted to put this out here. I know there are a LOT of charities that need help, and most of you already support charities in your home town. (As well as lending a helping hand to PT family )

BUT if any of you feel that this is something you can afford to get involved in, it will make a HUGE difference in a child's life.

If anyone is interested please PM me your email address and I will forward the email from the sponsorship co-ordinator.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I see you have been out there searching for a way to help these people. GOOD for YOU! This is better that handing the begger on the street a hand out since it will get where it will have longer lasting effects.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Sounds like a very good idea. Children who have parents who do recognize
    the importance of education, are way ahead of the game already. I hope
    many can help support this mission for education.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That is wonderful - it is something I have been interested in doing before but never really got around to looking into it. I'm also glad to hear that every penny goes towards the kids. I'm sending you a PM! Thanks for posting this

Richard, I think your comments belong somewhere else other than in this thread.

ACM, I will send you another pm. I forgot to include my email address in the one I just sent. I think this thread is a wonderful idea.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Rachel, I agree with you.

Richard, not here, please. That kind of rant belongs in the dog house.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt