Thread: I believe we have URI... Questions

I believe we have URI... Questions

I have never had any experience with it. Snow is still finishing up antibiotics (the pink kind?) She is snorting and sneezing. She has not been outside in forever (maybe around thanksgiving?) I honestly think she got it at the vets office. She was there all day on the day of her c-section, and it was almost a week on the dot I noticed her sneezing a little from when she was there.

Any good info on it? Its usually viral right? How do you tell the difference between it running its course and a seconary infection? Im keeping a VERY close watch on the babies. (they show no sign of it yet at all) They will be 2 weeks on Wed. Im hoping to get kitty back to the vet tomorrow or wed hopefully and I will see what we are going to do. I dont know if the babies can have antibioitcs and if so, would they be put on them as a preventative or not? Kitty is feeling crummy and not wanting to go under the couch as much and care for her babes. So I put them up to her on the couch and she was ok with that for now. That shows she feels bad, normally she dont like you touching all that much and certainly not move them. But she cleaned them and took care of them like a good mom.

Also I wanted to ask if my route of giving her meds is ok... I can barely get them in by mouth, its hard and nearly dangerous. She is so sweet, unless you do things she dont like. Anyway, I put it on her fur and she licks it off, is that ok? Its the best way for both of us it seems. I would think since she is already on meds that the snotty nose is just part of the virus running? No coughing, stil eating and drinking well, she has a very tiny amount of discharge from only one eye. A little more sleepy but otherwise well I guess. I feel bad for her and wish I could make her better.
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

I have nver found an easy way to pill a cat. I just hold them close, open the mouth, and push it down the throat. Then hold the mouth closed and gently stroke the neck to induce a swallow. Later, I find the pill in the cat's fur, on the table, on the sofa. The trick is not to get bit while you are working on the mouth.

Several folks on here have used pill pockets. You can get them at PetCo, PetSmart (I don't know which is close for you). You can see what they are here:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...=10#resultBody

Vita is prone to URI, and never gets over it without the meds. It is Clavamox, and it has an odor to it, so the pet knows right away there is something yucky coming. (I had to give it to Sugar after her cataract surgery 2 weeks ago, as well.) For the dog, I put pills in peanut butter. Doesn't work for Clavamox, does fine with all the other stuff.

Don't know about a nursing mom, can't respond to that part of your question.

I Find It Easier To Get Liquid Meds And Put It On Thier Paws.
    Then They Sometimes Will Lick It Off Although Scrappy 2 Is A Mistress Of Flicking It All Over.
    The Best Of Luck With Your Little Snow.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I have to give Amoxicillan to my two reascue kitties 3 times a day, because of a URI. the Amoxicillan is in liquid form, and I give it to them, just like the vet showed me. Yo fill a med. syringe to the proper dosage, grab the kitty by the scruff, tilt head back, and insert syringe and ush the plunger down. They immediately swallow. No muss no fuss. They both take it quite well!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    I have to give Amoxicillan to my two reascue kitties 3 times a day, because of a URI. the Amoxicillan is in liquid form, and I give it to them, just like the vet showed me. Yo fill a med. syringe to the proper dosage, grab the kitty by the scruff, tilt head back, and insert syringe and ush the plunger down. They immediately swallow. No muss no fuss. They both take it quite well!
    This is exactly what I TRY to do... it just dont go so well. This kitty has caused some pretty severe scars to my poor husband in the past. He had her by the scruff of the neck, and the legs... nope. She is a fighter. But she has the liquid meds (im not sure the kind, its pink and fruity smelling) I usually slather it on her back and she licks it off. I hope thats an ok way. Otherwise she wouldnt get that much in our war to get it down her. Maybe the vet will give me more or something different and I will see what he thinks about the babes. I dont know if possibly the antibiotic she is on already is passing to them through milk or not?
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky