Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Did I hear correctly (during the piece about the Norwegian puffin dog) that dogs don't have clavicles? But the puffin dog does. I still can't quite wrap my head around that! Dogs don't have clavicles. But they have a rib cage, of course.
    Most breeds don't have clavicles, but the Norwegian Lundehund does, and it also has extra toes, which enable it to spread it's front legs further apart for better gripping and climbing on the rocks to hunt puffins. Puffins, those funny little birds, are now protected in Norway, so they don't get used for hunting any more, but they still retain those abilities!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm watching it now because I had to dvr it due to work. My vote is on the cairn for the big win, even though terriers haven't been done yet. I was very disappointed by the german shepherd though. It had a terrible gait and at one point when they showed its mouth open it didn't look like its bite aligned right. How a breed that's bred to trip over its own feet to be of show standard becomes a grand champion is beyond me. I did like that briard though.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Most breeds don't have clavicles, but the Norwegian Lundehund does, and it also has extra toes, which enable it to spread it's front legs further apart for better gripping and climbing on the rocks to hunt puffins. Puffins, those funny little birds, are now protected in Norway, so they don't get used for hunting any more, but they still retain those abilities!
    The Lundehund seemed to have his front feet turned out a little bit, too. What a cutie!

And Captain and Monicanhonda -- I thought of you when I saw the dalmatian!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    Of course you don't need reminding.....but clearly lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people do considering how many animals are turned into shelters, killed in shelters, allowed to breed, etc. every single day. I think the commercials were well done, they should be there, and people do need to be reminded whether they want to be or not.

I agree 100% Amy. A event that features animals that we all love, the very best of the best ,who have all advantages humans can give them,
    should also shine a little light on those animals less fortunate who lack even the basics of a good life.

I personally don't enjoy seeing pictures of starving children at Christmas time, or Thanksgiving either, but it's good to be reminded of those
    less fortunate. They shouldn't be forgotten because it hurts us to see them.

Don't want to argue or ruin this thread, just wanted to say what I thought about redirecting the focus of the show by
    changing sponsers. The end.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Name:  hot_dog-9582.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  62.0 KB

Nuff said....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I'm watching it now because I had to dvr it due to work. My vote is on the cairn for the big win, even though terriers haven't been done yet. I was very disappointed by the german shepherd though. It had a terrible gait and at one point when they showed its mouth open it didn't look like its bite aligned right. How a breed that's bred to trip over its own feet to be of show standard becomes a grand champion is beyond me. I did like that briard though.
    It's funny, because I actually noticed the Shepherds gait seemed a bit weird to me.

I enjoyed the dog show, watched it last night. LOVED that Dalmatian and its cute spots around each eye. The herding group has always been my favorite, they had some beautiful dogs!!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

My guess for winner for Best in Show was wrong! I won't say which dog won, because I don't want to play the spoiler, but I didn't make the right pick. But it was a lot of fun to watch and try to guess which one the judge might choose.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Blog Entries
    I had very good intentions to stay awake till the very end. They were into the 2nd half of the terrier class & there was the advertisements so I thought I will just close my eyes for a little bit. I work up at 10:30 after the news & didn't find out till this morning on the Today show who the winner was.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I was wrong too. It wasn't the year of the cairn. Malachy is tough to beat. He's got so many best in shows. I feel bad when dogs with so many best in shows keep showing. Obviously he's a perfect example of the breed, but you can't keep a breeding line going with just one dog. After so many wins you should back down and let others win. Lots of breeders keep showing and showing once their dog has hundreds of wins though. Its the competition to be the top breeder rather than just to assure your dogs fit the standard.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I was wrong too. It wasn't the year of the cairn. Malachy is tough to beat. He's got so many best in shows. I feel bad when dogs with so many best in shows keep showing. Obviously he's a perfect example of the breed, but you can't keep a breeding line going with just one dog. After so many wins you should back down and let others win. Lots of breeders keep showing and showing once their dog has hundreds of wins though. Its the competition to be the top breeder rather than just to assure your dogs fit the standard.
    I hate to put this on a monetary basis, but my family used to be involved in (for a short time) breeding Irish Setters; the more wins, the more the dog can demand for a fee for breeding as well as pups. These were our family dogs, and much loved, but it was also a business. Besides that, the shows are a lot of fun, and it's a whole social scene. You should have SEEN my mother prep for Westminster! ...and I mean HER, not just the dogs!

I was for the Setter; obviously.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    I hate to put this on a monetary basis, but my family used to be involved in (for a short time) breeding Irish Setters; the more wins, the more the dog can demand for a fee for breeding as well as pups. These were our family dogs, and much loved, but it was also a business. Besides that, the shows are a lot of fun, and it's a whole social scene. You should have SEEN my mother prep for Westminster! ...and I mean HER, not just the dogs!

I was for the Setter; obviously.
    And that Setter had 15 babies back in April!! She got back in shape very fast

This is from the Chicago Tribune online photo gallery about Westminster. I think the expression on the dog's face is so sweet!

It must be hard to judge Best in Show. I was kinda disappointed yet another toy breed won, they just seem to win so many! And It's hard to even think of that Peke as a real dog, while he may be "perfect" by show standards, he moves pretty slowly, and it's hard to tell what his body looks like under all that long hair! You know me, I would have given ribbons to all of them! They're all good dogs, loved by their people.

I made sure to watch all the dog-related and sponsor's commercials, and waited for them to mention shelter and adoptions, but they did not. I will be writing to them, and Westminster - after all the theme song for their commercial could have been about mixed breeds and shelter dogs as well, and just mentioning a couple sentences could have made a big difference!
    I've Been Frosted