Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purebreds & Why People Buy Them

Purebreds & Why People Buy Them

Just wondering what is the reasoning behind people
    going to breeders to buy purebred dogs as opposed
    to going to a shelter & saving a life. Or, going to a purebred rescue organization & saving a life there. I just don't understand what the thought process is in that situation & it's never been explained to me. Am I the only one that feels that way?

I am an owner of both a purebreed and a rescued mix-breed.

People who breed dogs do it for the love of a breed. If people did not breed dogs, all the beautiful purebreeds we know today would not exist.

I am very supportive in the area of animal charities and over the years my family has provided a home for 4 cats (plus a litter of kittens carried by one of the cats), and 5 dogs. We have also had two purebreed golden retrievers.

People who breed responsibly are ensuring a healthy bloodline for a specific breed. I feel that the problem of homeless animals is not that created by purebreeds, by that which is created by irresponsible pet owners. If people who did not want puppies and kittens, spayed and neutered their pets, there would not be this problem. If people, thought about the lifelong commitment of patience, love, and dedication it takes to raise a pet, there would not be this problem. If people, took responsibility for themselves and their pets, there would not be this problem. Animals are wonderful, amazing, loving creatures. Unfortunately, people do not always posess these qualities.

Reason?

Well, my first two cats were Shelter Cats and I loved them so. Then my third cat found me as I was walking through a cat show in Philadelphia. It was love at first sight. I went back to the cat show the following day to see if I could get the breeder to lower the price. They/she did and the rest is history. Mandy, my first Aby, was so sweet. She died two Feb.s ago from cancer of the tongue. I went to another cat show in Vermont just about that same time. I got the name of a new breeder about 4 hours away. We negotiated for two this time, and when I went to their house and saw how nicely they treated their kittens and cats, I was sure I had found the right place to buy my cats. I love Graemer and Miley so. The breeder prepared them for their new home, trained them to scratching posts and in general socialized them. They would not let anyone take the kittens until they were 16 weeks old. Much longer/older than many folks get kittens.

Why didn't I go to a shelter? I wanted a certain kind of cat and wasn't willing to wait until one appeared at a shelter. Maybe if I didn't have the money for one, I would have gone to a shelter. I wanted what I wanted and that was that. Sound spoiled, eh? I know. But hey, I am a responsible pet owner.

I know that there are tons of unwanted pets out there, but at the time, I wanted an Aby....ended up with two. If and when I get a new cat after these two have passed away, I may, at the time consider a shelter cat, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I don't have anything against good shelters and their animals or good breeders and their animals. I do have problems with irresponsible pet owners.

I just don't understand why someone would get a purebred dog over a dog in a shelter or rescue organization. I couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I would take a mutt any day over it. And I'm just not getting someone saying "I'm going to a breeder because I HAVE TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF DOG, when there's a precious life at a shelter that will DIE because of someone's ego ("Look at my Doberman, Weinmaraner, Portuguese Water Dog,etc."). It seems to me, that these dogs are status symbols, a lot like a new car. I don't get it, & I never will.

You are entitled to your opinion

Dear Power Lounger, you must be able to allow folks to make choices. There are many folks here who have purebred this and that. I accept your answer, but think you should leave a little room for those folks who have chosen a different method of getting a pet. I respect your choice and hope you respect others'.

P. S. I have a new car too.

Originally posted by Power Lounger
    I just don't understand why someone would get a purebred dog over a dog in a shelter or rescue organization. I couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I would take a mutt any day over it. And I'm just not getting someone saying "I'm going to a breeder because I HAVE TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF DOG, when there's a precious life at a shelter that will DIE because of someone's ego ("Look at my Doberman, Weinmaraner, Portuguese Water Dog,etc."). It seems to me, that these dogs are status symbols, a lot like a new car. I don't get it, & I never will.
    In no particular order :

First off, I would like to say that it is great that you adopt dogs that are homeless. I adopt them, too. More people should do it.

Second, don't judge me and "yell" at me for making the decision to buy a purebreed for a companion for my rescued dog.

Third, the fact that you don't care about the existence of purebreeds is your decision. I prefer to be in favor of the preservation of all types of animals from endanged birds, to Panda bears, to Dalmations. Every animal and every breed have a purpose on this earth. That is my decision.

Fourth, animals are not homeless because of me. My family has rescued 9 animals, including a pregnant cat that later had a litter of kittens. We have never brought an animal to a shelter. All of our animals have been fixed, and therefore, never have contributed to overpopulation. We are constantly donating time, goods, and money to shelters to keep them running.

Fifth, my golden retriever is a dependable companion for me and my mutt. He is not a status symbol. My mutt was beaten, starved, and abadoned before the age of four months. Her immune system was very poor, due to her lack of care. She has had almost every type of worm, mange, and had severe anxiety and behavioral problems. I loved her so much that when I got a second dog, I ensured her health, by bringing only a completely healthy dog into her house. I did not set out to get a purebreed, but this dog happened to be one. I fell in love with the dog because of his personality. I did not judge him by his bloodlines. My golden retriever was lucky enough never to have experienced the horrendous things that my rescued dog had. My purebreed has taught my mutt how to be a dog, to trust people, to bark, to play, to swim. I never regret one day of having both my purebreed and my mixed breed. They are not status symbols, they are my friends.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love all dogs! I do not care about the breed! I do support animal charities and I do adopt animals in need!!!!!

My question to you is :
    You stated that "you never get it, and you never will". Why did you ask the question, if you are unwilling to accept the answers?

Well, of course, people have choices. I'm still not understanding the reasoning behind those choices. I mean, hey I would love to have a Maine Coon or a Singapura, but there's no way I could do that when I know that shelters are BURSTING with cats. I couldn't look myself in the mirror. And I find it hard to believe that the shelter cats have less personality or less cute than a purebred. As a matter of fact, sometimes the shelters have purebreds there, why wouldn't one go there first & see what's there. The reasoning behind getting a purebred over a shelter/rescue has not been explained so that I can now say--"Ohhhh, THAT'S why, NOW I understand".

Power Lounger,
    I do understand your point and agree with you in many ways. However, I think Pupper-Lover said it very well. It's hard to understand why someone would pay so much money, often 2 or 3 x what a shelter animal costs to get a purebred puppy. One walk through the shelter will break your heart and maybe change the minds of some of these people. There is very often purebred dogs at these shelters too. For example, in a shelter near here, there is a Cane Corso Mastiff that the owners turned in. These dogs can cost well over a $1000 apiece and are hard to find, at least in this area. When I adopted Duncan, there was a purebred bassett hound in the cage next to him, another rare and expensive breed.
    The problem, I feel, however, doesn't lie with most responsible breeders. It lies with the "ordinary" pet owner who either spends the money on the purebred or gets one from their neighbor's dog that had puppies for the 5th time and then they proceed to keep this dog in the backyard, maybe tied to a doghouse, maybe loose in the 4 foot-high fenced yard. And they don't spay or neuter this dog, their "beloved family pet" that they keep chained to the garage like a wild animal!! . And then it jumps the fence or another dog jumps the fence...Or it escapes from their collar and chain and if it comes home at all, it comes home pregnant or after having impregnanted all the dogs within 10 miles.

There is absolutely NO REASON for any person that is NOT a licensed, professional breeder, to have a dog that is not neutered or spayed. No reason whatsoever.

There are many purebred dog breeds that I would love love love to own, like a Great Pyrnees or a Bernese Mountain Dog. Or a beautiful regal German Shepherd....I could go on and on...And maybe someday I will come across one of these dogs that needs a home and will be fortunate enough to be able to take them....But until then I will continue my one-woman crusade to spay and neuter, spay and neuter, spay and neuter....

First thing, wasn't yelling, just wondering. I congratulate you for all the help you've extended to helpless animals. But there are far too many people who will ONLY get purebreds & will not consider any other. I see them all the time. They've gone to this breeder & that breeder for just the right one. And I ask them, why not the shelter??? It is not even a consideration. Purebred is the way to go. And I nod my head & squint my eyes just a bit. So, in this forum, I pose the question, why? And know that there was a dog (or cat) in desperate need when you did so. Again, not yelling.

I just want to say that I can tell you first hand the WONDERFUL, HEALTHY, LOVING, and many times pure bred dogs that are in shelters. Since the one I work at is no-kill, we are selective intake so can only take the healthy and friendly animals. We have a return policy if you adopt an animal with a sickness that we missed that you just cannot handle. Yes, at kill shelters you will see a lot of sick animals and a lot of aggressive animals but it is very possible to find nice shelters and rescue groups with healthy animals. (The kill shelters also have nice and healthy animals, you just have to pick through them more). I hope I don't offend anyone but I just don't like the misconception that adopting a shelter animal means adopting a sick animal.

All my dogs came from the shelter and my cat came from a parking lot under a truck starving to death. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The way they look into my eyes is something that cannot be explained. You can see the gratitude and love shine through. They know they were taken out of bad situations. Even my dog who was abused for 6 years is the biggest bundle of love. Yes, she has her quirks but I make it my mission to help her overcome her fears and challanges. I don't think its in any way discouraging nor do I regret adopting her.

I can respect everyone's opinions, though I may not agree with them all. For me, rescue is the only way to go.

This post isn't directed to anyone in particular... its just my opinions so don't get mad anyone.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by Power Lounger
    First thing, wasn't yelling, just wondering. I congratulate you for all the help you've extended to helpless animals. But there are far too many people who will ONLY get purebreds & will not consider any other. I see them all the time. They've gone to this breeder & that breeder for just the right one. And I ask them, why not the shelter??? It is not even a consideration. Purebred is the way to go. And I nod my head & squint my eyes just a bit. So, in this forum, I pose the question, why? And know that there was a dog (or cat) in desperate need when you did so. Again, not yelling.
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I just don't think anyone here could answer that. Its awful, isn't it? I often ask myself those very same questions.

By the way, welcome to Pet Talk
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well, I would like to say a few words here.
    I have a Siberian Husky (that btw I got at a pet store), I did not buy her because of her breed or because she was a purebred. I bought her because I fell in love with her, and knew she was the dog for us (and some people don't like that we bought her from a pet store & cannot understand that). We did not intend to buy from a pet store, but it just happened that way. I do not think of them as a new car or any other type of status symbol. I love them. That's it, period. It wouldn't matter to me if they were muts or not. Guess it's not for everyone to understand why people do what they do. I personally would rather focus on the people who have animals and don't love or take care of them than worry about why people buy what kinds of breeds they want. Unfortunaly people have the right to do what they want to, be it right or wrong.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Just in case you wanted to know what went through my mind when I adopted my purebreed Golden Retriever:

1) I had one rescued dog. I wanted a second dog.

2) My dog was female (spayed), not yet full grown, skiddish (due to past abuse), and had a poor immune system (due to past neglect).

3) A companion for my dog would, therefore, need to be completely healthy (I would not compromise on the health of my first baby). It would also be better if the second dog did not have a dominant personality (because the first one is skiddish) and would not tower over her in size. The second dog needed to get along with other dogs. I thought a male dog would get along better with my female.

4) My first, second, and third visits are to my local shelter. The shelter was actually rather empty at the time. I did not find a dog that seemed right for my family. I love my rescued dog. I would love to save a sweet homeless creature, but I would not simply bring home any needy dog, if it was not what was best for my dog and my family.

5) I grew up with a golden retriever, so I visited a nearby family, that had advertised having golden puppies. One of the puppies, Jake, stood out to me. He was sweet, easy going, not the dominant type, had always lived in a house with other dogs, and was currently smaller than my rescued dog. He was also very healthy. I fell in love with Jake, because he was Jake. I knew he would be a perfect addition to my family and a wonderful companion for my dog. I did pay for him, but it was no where near the amount I have paid to get, Addie, my rescued dog, back to health. Addie means the world to me, I would never do anything to put her in harms way. It made sense for me to get Jake. I don't regret it.

6) Addie and Jake are best buddies, and are now both healthy and happy. They are priceless to me, no matter what their breed. I made a decision based on what was right for me and my family, not status.
    Last edited by pupper-lover; 06-26-2002 at 12:13 PM.

In my opinion, people tend to buy purebreds maybe because with purebreds they will more or less know what to expect from their behavior. Since we have lists and general information about purebreds, people will be able to choose the dog that will best suit their personality, lifestyles, etc..with more certainty. The more the dog suit their lifestyles, time, etc, the more they will be able to take care of them. I think at least they have the notion of pouring responsibility upon having the dog. The generality of the behavior among dogs can only be seen in purebreds since they are breed in standard ways, unlike the mutts who are already crossed among different breeds. This is only my opinion anyway,

NOTE: I have nothing against mutts since they are REALLY REALLY GREAT!!! and I have two of them. They are really full of surprises.

Nevertheless, whatever the dog is, purebred or mix, they are still dogs, therefore, they are still equal in someway since both need EQUAL love and attention from us. DOGS, both purebred and mix RULES!!!
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Thank you Aly! As the mother of four (three cats & a dog, ALL rescues), I know what you mean when you say they KNOW they've been saved, & it just breaks my heart that I can't help them all. If I ever hit the lottery, in my small world, things will change. Until such time, I do whatever I can.