Thread: best dewormer?

best dewormer?

what is the best dewormer?

Depends on the type of worms and what your vet recommends.

Normally, Drontal from the vet, or if it's a puppy, a few doses of Strongid from the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by jagsjorge
    what is the best dewormer?
    Panacur seems to be the favorite of my Vets for once a year worming. It's effective against roundworm, tapeworm, hookworm, whipworms, and will even take out any latent protozoa or coccidia infections. It can be ordered without a precription online.

After having both of mine tested for worms and having the Panacur prescribed, I now defer the fecal float tests, and tell the Vet to just give me the Panacur for a once a year deworming. Mine are on the Sentinel year round due to the possibility of warm temps in the South. That in itself will keep most worm populations down.

The only problem I've encountered with the Panacur is that the first time I gave it to my 69 lb male, he got an upset tummy on the first dose. Giving him 75 mg of Zantac 20 minutes before eating (Panacur powder is sprinkled on the food once a day for 3 days) eliminated the apparent acid irritation from the Panacur. Also added a little water to their dry food to mix the flavor of the dog food with the Panacur salt. They gobble it up as always.

thanks

thanks for the replys

I never deworm unless necessary since dewormers are a poison. So far after 2 yrs old none of my dogs ever pick up any kind of worms. I bring in a sample twice a year and they always show clear of anything.