Thread: Parvo&Flu

Parvo&Flu

Ok so I have extra time on my hands, and after reading so many posts with our members and their local shelters dealing with Parvovirus and Kennel cough, and also the Dog flu. I thought I would (yes with permission) post information.

Parvo is 80% fatal if not treated, it is also 80% curable with PROMPT vet treatment. That is easier said than done, parvo comes on very very quickly, and many new owners, or experienced owners who haven't had it aren't always certain what it is and may lose a valuable day or 2 before getting treatment. It is also not uncommon for a dog to have NO SIGNS at all. It is a virus, and that being said, you should be vigilant about where you take your dogs, and to promptly clean up after them in all areas public or private.
    It is able to live on in the ground up to 6 months, and nearly that long in your average home. Bleach is a wonderful disinfectant for it, however....not all of us can use it, I have for many years as just a matter of course used Kenic Parvo-lan128 to wash everything animal related in my home including my bird cages and cat areas, I also add some to my steam cleaner when I do my shampoos of the carpets. the link to that is www.jefferspet.com just search parvo lan and it will pop up.

An excellent website that I give when one of our fosters (trust me the new parents get LOTS of webaddys and printed material and telephone numbers!) is this one http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

The new Flu is a handful right now, but as with all viruses immunities will be built. Hopefully by this time next year there will be a vaccine for it, till then be extra vigilant about who your dog meets and plays with, that they are in good health and you trust the owners that they are UTD on vaccinations (a whole nother can of worms) but here are 2 very informative links one by Natl Geo and the other an ABC link.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...7_dog_flu.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1152491&page=1

As with any Illness in your pet, you know your pet best, more so than your Vet, or your neighbor, or any of us here on PT. If you think there is something wrong ......there is. Better an ounce of prevention than a pound of cure.

I hope this helps sort out all the questions I see on the other threads.

Just my Thoughts

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

GOOD THREAD KYM!! That is why when people post loose stools, we say call the vet.. Time is of the essence with both of them.
    There is more information that warns that the dog flu can weaken the immune system- and although a dog tests positive for parvo, it could also have the flu. Its vital for the vets to give a full spectrum antibiotic just in case of which triggered which..
    The dog flu doesnt lay in the environment- unless its a kennel like parvo does- but at this point- they are not sure how it is spread.. I NEVER EVER use common grounds to let my dogs relieve themselves- even at shows- . We stop before the show and walk the dogs- but I grew up with the parvo epidemic in the 80's and paranoid..

The disease that scares me the most

is the Canine herpes. Its killing litters all over the world. The mother gets it, it goes dorment in the womb, then when the mothers immune system wears off in the pups- they die without warning in 48 hours.. . The only common signal in this is "kennel life" meaning kenneled in a multi dog environment in their life- but its frightening!

I want to add that if your dog seems just "out of sorts", that is a PERFECTLY good reason to take your dog to the vet ASAP....DON'T "just wait and see what happens". Catching a disease early means it will be easier to treat, and cheaper in the long run!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

A few links to some Canine Herpes sites

http://www.gemsite.co.uk/sites/merial/diagnosis.html

http://www.videxgsd.com/canine_herpes.html

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenl...dvet/vhr2.html

Hope that helps, as Michelle stated it is a lifelong disease and Bitches or Dogs that are known carriers should never be bred.

And as with all things, especially Parvo, which can lead to secondary bacterial infections, as viruses do not respond to anti biotic treatment it is vital that a quick and accurate diagnosis is made.

Thank you Kym- and that is the problem in that they do not have a test to find out if prior to breeding the bitch has this or not..

After checking various sites and looking up through the AVMA, and phoning my own vet. Recent research points to the fact that Vaginal scrapings along with discharge testing , can identify the virus present in pups. Of course the issue is not so much if you do the testing , but if those with infected animals still breed unethically.

It is still very much an honor sustem, unfortunately many breeders aren't quite as honest as we would like to believe.

The adult dog: in the dog, CHV can cause painful lesions on the genitals. In the bitch, there may not be any external signs, but the bitch seems infertile or gives birth to undersize and weak litters. Careful examination may sometimes reveal small blister-like lesions on the vaginal wall. In both males and females, CHV is also known to be one of the causes of kennel cough.

Serology is of limited value due to the high prevalence of the virus within the general population. A single negative or positive result is of little value. However, paired serum samples at 2-3 weeks interval showing a rise in antibody titre (seroconversion) will indicate active infection. The best time to take the samples (from the mother) is around the time of whelping.

PCR tests are available for identifying the virus from discharges or from affected pups. PCR will be negative when the virus is latent.

I think testing 2-3 weeks apart along with a titre for antibodies is a safe and wise course, and of course if results are positive then to neuter the animal.

I hope that helps, as nothing is to be feared more than the unknown, and with a solid approach to good animal husbandry the unknowns evaporate.

Maybe I should add Herpes into the title of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    I want to add that if your dog seems just "out of sorts", that is a PERFECTLY good reason to take your dog to the vet ASAP....DON'T "just wait and see what happens". Catching a disease early means it will be easier to treat, and cheaper in the long run!
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    After checking various sites and looking up through the AVMA, and phoning my own vet. Recent research points to the fact that Vaginal scrapings along with discharge testing , can identify the virus present in pups. Of course the issue is not so much if you do the testing , but if those with infected animals still breed unethically.

It is still very much an honor sustem, unfortunately many breeders aren't quite as honest as we would like to believe.

The adult dog: in the dog, CHV can cause painful lesions on the genitals. In the bitch, there may not be any external signs, but the bitch seems infertile or gives birth to undersize and weak litters. Careful examination may sometimes reveal small blister-like lesions on the vaginal wall. In both males and females, CHV is also known to be one of the causes of kennel cough.

Serology is of limited value due to the high prevalence of the virus within the general population. A single negative or positive result is of little value. However, paired serum samples at 2-3 weeks interval showing a rise in antibody titre (seroconversion) will indicate active infection. The best time to take the samples (from the mother) is around the time of whelping.

PCR tests are available for identifying the virus from discharges or from affected pups. PCR will be negative when the virus is latent.

I think testing 2-3 weeks apart along with a titre for antibodies is a safe and wise course, and of course if results are positive then to neuter the animal.

I hope that helps, as nothing is to be feared more than the unknown, and with a solid approach to good animal husbandry the unknowns evaporate.

Maybe I should add Herpes into the title of the thread
    I wonder if they can test the bitch that would later be bred. Maybe with the bruscelous ( spelling- I am eating lunch...) And I wonder if it can be spread from the male..

Yes to both, an adult dog can be tested and Herpes can be spread by either gender.

I would assume that a breeder concerned about brucellosis would not mind having her dogs tested for herpes also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Yes to both, an adult dog can be tested and Herpes can be spread by either gender.

I would assume that a breeder concerned about brucellosis would not mind having her dogs tested for herpes also.
    Oh yea- we are already planning on testing Galina for brucellosis (thank you for spelling- I am done eating lunch now.. lol) even though she has never been bred before. However- with the stud being the top in the breed, I do not want any questions.
    I only heard about the canine herpes about 6 months ago.. Either its not in the cycles I travel, or no need for me to ask in the last years with no dog to breed..