Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats opening doors

Cats opening doors

I actually brought this up in a different thread, but thought I would address it here as well.

Who else has a kitty that can open doors?

I've been keeping my new kitty Phinehas in the bathroom while I'm away at work and while I sleep since he has arrived. The plan is to eventually give him run of the place, but right now I feel like he's more secure in the bathroom. It's a nice sized bathroom, so he has plenty of space.

A few days ago, I got back after work and found him out. I figured I forgot to close the door properly before I left, so didn't think too much more about it. Nothing was out of place, so I'm beginning to think I can leave him out when I go. Anyway, after I got home and found him out, I put him back in the bathroom so I could do my after work 20 minute yoga routine. This kitty is a velcro kitty, which makes it hard to do anything, so that's why I put him in the bathroom.

Well, 5 minutes into my routine, the door opened and out came Phinehas! There's just no keeping him inside any rooms now. He simply just opens the doors! I knew orientals were clever, but this one is defnitely a fast learner!

All my kitties can open doors, but Angel has the most unusual way. Angel would jump up on two feet and push open the door with her front paws. Where she learn that, I don't know? Snow and Mickey just claw the door open.

If you want him to stay uin the bathroom, try to get a lock or put something in front of the door. Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

my kitty will open the cupboard door to where her treats are
    Zoey <3 march 29, 2006

Simba!! Once, he opened the cabinet that is under the kitchen sink, went in to lay on the pile of rags and the door closed behind him. I had NOOOOOOOO idea where he had gotten to when I couldn't find him.

Phinehas is one smart boy!! Is he turning the knob? My goodness! My Trevor just thumps and thumps and thumps until a human will let him on the other side of the door. That's his way of opening doors.

Harry and Allen both open doors themselves. Allen pries the doors open with his paw, but Harry actually reaches up to turn the handle. I can't remember the last time I was able to go potty in peace as Harry ALWAYS comes in after me to say hello. Pouncer and Flutter prefer the claw or scream on the other side of the door til someone opens it method

My 2 try very hard but are not successful. They stand up and claw the doors but that doesn't open them.

My previous kitty used to open the cabinet with his food in it and get into, eat through the bag, and spill it all over the floor.

Two of my guys can open cabinet doors. They flop down on their backs, and take their pawas and pry them open. One can even open the cabinet above the oven. He stands to the side and gets his paw turned around and open it comes. I am just waiting for them to figure out how to flush to toilet.

Sounds like we have a lot of nawty kitties on board here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Phinehas is one smart boy!! Is he turning the knob? My goodness! My Trevor just thumps and thumps and thumps until a human will let him on the other side of the door. That's his way of opening doors.
    Yes, he turns the knob. I swear this cat is learning things so quickly. Moreso than any other cat I've ever had. Sergei will rattle door knobs, but he's never been able to open a closed door like Phinehas has.

When I put Phinehas in the bathroom so I could do my yoga routine in peace, and he opened the door and came right back out, he just sat down by the couch and watched me, knowing that climbing in my lap while in lotus position wasn't acceptable. He's really starting to learn when it is appropriate to sit in my lap and when it's not. I'm really intrigued by him. I wonder what I might be able to teach him!

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady
    I wonder what I might be able to teach him!

How for drive?

And we make so much out of opposable thumbs.....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady
    I wonder what I might be able to teach him!

I bet you would have no problem teaching Phinehas how to use the toilet. hehehehe think of all the litter you will save.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    And we make so much out of opposable thumbs.....

ROFL Pooky is unique even for a Polydactyl (multiple toes), and has a long double jointed 'thumb' on each front paw, he can actually pick up objects like a human!

However I have yet to see Pooky open a doorknob. Dusty & Cami can both open the cupboard doors which required me to move the cat food and put child proof latches on all the lower cupboards!

All but the 3 kittens can open an almost shut door, whether it opens in or out, and Jack can open a completely shut sliding wood door!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

You sure have a smart cat. Storm has been known to open doors but he doesn't do it too often. I've seen him reach up and turn the door knob. Sunny will push against a door to see if it'll open and sometimes he gets lucky if it's not closed securely. The others can't open up doors unless it's already partially opened. Sky and Starr can't even figure out how to open a door that's partially open. They never learned how to use there paws for this.

I bet that you can teach Phinehas almost anything.

Both Puddy and Boo can open cupboard doors. Puddy goes after the pizzelles and Boo likes to remove and scatter my Tupperware, with a little help from his cohort Coco Puff. I came home from work one day and at first sight, it appeared my house had been broken into. Then I thought better of it and realized what had happened. My Tupperware was scattered all over the kitchen, down the hall to the foyer to my front door. They apparently had fun.

Blessings,
    Mary

Sams will play with cupboard doors, exp. bathroom cupboards. This is especially endearing at 3 AM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)