Thread: New SCARED foster kitty... with MAJOR issues

New SCARED foster kitty... with MAJOR issues

I have a new resident upstairs that I picked up last night. His name is Frankie, and he's FIV+. He is a gorgeous boy... Gray tabby and lots of white. His original owner tried to commit suicide, was left all alone after she was taken away, and then when the house sold, he was thrown out (I think that's the sequence of events...). A neighbor saw him and took him in about a month ago, and had him vetted, neutered and basically checked out health-wise. She couldn't have much contact with him due to here allergies and asthma, so he was in a cage in her basement for about the past 2-3 weeks. He's got the face of an angel. I've already fallen for this poor soul.

One thing that worries me is the fact that when he gets scared, and it seems that he scares easily, he pees all over himself He did that last night at the woman's house, and then this AM when I was holding him he not only peed on me, but pooped on me as well!! I didn't make a fuss, I just felt so sad for him. I was getting ready for work, and thankfully was in my jogging pants to go upstairs not my work clothes, but I was really surprised. I never had a cat pee on me before.

Then tonight, I was holding him and I was using these wipes that are supposed to clean and calm cats (not sure they work on the calming part), and I was cleaning his tail and the back end area, and he pooped again! I'm not quite sure what this means. Was he abused, like sexually , or is he just THAT scared ???

Any insight on this one??? I bought the calming liquid that PetSmart had, plus some treats that are supposed to calm him. I was with him for 1 1/2 to 2hrs tonight brushing, massaging and petting him, and he does calm down and relax, and he drools a lot, lol. I just feel so badly for him, and wish I could do something to alleviate his anxiety

Hopefully TIME will help to ease his anxieties. Poor baby. I really don't have any suggestions, but I wish him the best.

You could try the Feliway/Safe Space infuser. It's a plug-in diffuser that you attach a little bottle of a smell-alike for the Eau de Kittycat that cats' facial glands produces. It basically means "this is a safe place, all's well, you belong here." Humans mostly can't smell it (I have a hypersensitive sense of smell, and to me it only occasionally smells very lightly of coconut and cedar) and it's really easy to find. Just getting to spend time with you will probably help too.

Aw, poor boy! I hope he settles down as he gets use to you and his new surroundings!

Give him time to adjust and I am sure he will be fine. Remember his whole world has been turned upside down and you are the one that is going to make it right. Keep us posted.

Well, Frankie is doing better. Still skittish, but I can pet him while he eats and he purrs and purrs. Loves to be scratched under the chin. He's still basically hiding in a carrier or the play gym I have upstairs, but seems much more at ease basically. He is such a sweet boy... it may take a long time for him to relax, but he'll be ok I think. I haven't gotten peed or pooped on in about 4 or 5 days, so that's a great improvement!

Do you have a camera??? We need pictures!!! LOL

I know, lol. I just wanted to wait till he wasn't so freaked out. Otherwise, you'll get picks of him and his anxiety problems, lol.