Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Staffs are they all vicious???

Staffs are they all vicious???

I have only had my dog for a short time so dog behaviour hasnt been on top of my list. But since I got my alsation cross, I take him for lots of walks, he isnt very good with other dogs he only wants to play but he isnt a very good judge of dogs who want to play and those who dont, so I always keep him on his lead when other dogs are about. But I have noticed that whenever we come across a 'staff' (staffordshire terrier) they all seem super aggressive and on sunday while out with my children we saw one ravage a swan. It was terrifying the owner and a passer by had to beat the dog into submission before it would let go of the poor swan. I know people say its not the dog but the owner, but surely some dogs have a preposition for viciousness.??
    [Gwen & Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by gwen
    I have only had my dog for a short time so dog behaviour hasnt been on top of my list. But since I got my alsation cross, I take him for lots of walks, he isnt very good with other dogs he only wants to play but he isnt a very good judge of dogs who want to play and those who dont, so I always keep him on his lead when other dogs are about. But I have noticed that whenever we come across a 'staff' (staffordshire terrier) they all seem super aggressive and on sunday while out with my children we saw one ravage a swan. It was terrifying the owner and a passer by had to beat the dog into submission before it would let go of the poor swan. I know people say its not the dog but the owner, but surely some dogs have a preposition for viciousness.??

Being as I am short on patience on this subject.
    1) there are several threads devoted to Staffies and Pits in general, about their disposition, behaviour, and the long standing circle argument of nurture vs nature.

2) If you own a dog , then behaviour should have been one of the first things you researched. To be a responsible owner to your animal, and to be a responsible part of the community with your dog.

3) The fact that a passerby "beat" a dog into submission is in itself gut wrenching. What is worse is that the dogs' owner had no control over a very powerful animal.That is insane.

4) All dogs have the predisposition to bite. A preposition is a grammatical term. Any dog will bite. Most choose not to. Some breeds have been bred to bite for the work we required of them, not just Staffies, or Pits for that matter. This should be taken into account when choosing a breed.

5) No where in your thread is it mentioned what happened to the abusive bystander, the ignorant owner or the injured swan.

My thoughts, the bystander should have been arrested for abuse. The owner should be banned from owning anything that doesn't come with batteries from the dept. store. The SPCA should have been contacted to take custody of the dog and the Swan

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

It was terrifying the owner and a passer by had to beat the dog into submission before it would let go of the poor swan.
    This is the very reason any of these dogs are aggressive.

I notice you say the poor swan but what about the porr dog? It is not the dogs fault if he is aggressive....you have no idea what this dog has gone through. If he is attacking another animals it is because he was 9 chances out of 10 taught to do so.

And why a passerby laid his hands on someone elses dog is beyond me. I mean if it was my dog that someone else even swatted I would rip him a new one. The owner is an absolute moron. You don't beat an animal period. They should have both been arrested and they animals swan and dog should have gone when they could be looked after.

I really hate to even think about what kind of home life this poor dog has considering his owner was beating him (even if by your ideal it was for a reasonable thing...I don't agree) in public. God what is wrong with people that they are such idiots and why is it that people keep stereotyping these amazing animals.

This is from a site that gives a discription of the staffie and this is a staffie's temperment description.
    The American Staffordshire Terrier is a happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving towards people. Good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more then to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog who is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curve any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I'm sorry but if MY dog was attacking and killing something, I sure as heck would be beating the heck out of it trying to make it let go. When my neighbor's dog attacked (and killed) my cat, my mom was beating it sensless in the head with a 2X4 -- didn't even phase the dog, mind you, but I assure you the owners didn't care either way -- my mom was in her right to beat that dog to make it let go of my cat, who later died from the injuries the dog caused anyways. What would you do if your dog had hold of a child? Stand there and do nothing? What would you have done in the same situation?

As for the original question, staffies are terriers -- terriers were bred to kill small animals -- this means that they have a higher prey drive than alot of breeds. Owners need to do their research and understand that these dogs should not be let offleash because something may set it into drive. Dogs are set into drive by different things -- for terriers, it is often the movement of a different animal. Staffies, just like other terriers, can have dominance issues, making them more prone to dog aggression --but this is all in the hands of the owner and breeder. If the owner trains the dog properly, and the dog came from a breeder with very well-tempered dogs and lines, these problems should not arise. Staffies unfortunatly have a bad reputation -- they are powerful dogs that can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and it is very sad that the wrong hands are often where these dogs end up. In the right hands, these are wonderful, freindly family dogs who love children and get along well with everyone.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    I'm sorry but if MY dog was attacking and killing something, I sure as heck would be beating the heck out of it trying to make it let go. When my neighbor's dog attacked (and killed) my cat, my mom was beating it sensless in the head with a 2X4 -- didn't even phase the dog, mind you, but I assure you the owners didn't care either way -- my mom was in her right to beat that dog to make it let go of my cat, who later died from the injuries the dog caused anyways. What would you do if your dog had hold of a child? Stand there and do nothing? What would you have done in the same situation?

As for the original question, staffies are terriers -- terriers were bred to kill small animals -- this means that they have a higher prey drive than alot of breeds. Owners need to do their research and understand that these dogs should not be let offleash because something may set it into drive. Dogs are set into drive by different things -- for terriers, it is often the movement of a different animal. Staffies, just like other terriers, can have dominance issues, making them more prone to dog aggression --but this is all in the hands of the owner and breeder. If the owner trains the dog properly, and the dog came from a breeder with very well-tempered dogs and lines, these problems should not arise. Staffies unfortunatly have a bad reputation -- they are powerful dogs that can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and it is very sad that the wrong hands are often where these dogs end up. In the right hands, these are wonderful, freindly family dogs who love children and get along well with everyone.

I have to agree.... I couldnt just stand there if a dog was killing another animal or child. the lady that lives down the street from me has a pitbull and last summer she walked it by my house and the people who live across from us had there dog tied out in there own yard and the pitbull got loose from the lady and ripped the other poor dogs ear off!!! the dog tied in its yard didnt even do anything wrong!!! thank god the owners beat the ladies dog until it got of there dog or they would have had a dead dog they pitbull never even got hurt by them hitting him but eventually let the poor lab mix dog go., this pitbull has attacked many people also from what I know and they still have it. its actually really scary and the lady has 2 of them, she shouldnt have any animals but the cops know about these dogs as well as the aspca and still let her have them.

I am really suprised at some responses, my point was that this dog was so savagely attacking this poor innocent swan who was doing nothing more than sitting by the bank of the river, it was so full of blood lust that the only way to save the swan was to beat it, what would you have done in that situation? The owner was distraught that his dog could do such a thing, he seemed like a nice bloke only seconds before he and the dog were playing fetch, and this is my question are these dogs so intrinsically vicious that no matter what, there true instinct will always come out? (The police were called as in England swans are the Queens property so I am sure that it was given medical attention.)
    [Gwen & Puppy

I am really suprised at some responses, my point was that this dog was so savagely attacking this poor innocent swan who was doing nothing more than sitting by the bank of the river, it was so full of blood lust that the only way to save the swan was to beat it, what would you have done in that situation? The owner was distraught that his dog could do such a thing, he seemed like a nice bloke only seconds before he and the dog were playing fetch, and this is my question are these dogs so intrinsically vicious that no matter what, there true instinct will always come out? (The police were called as in England swans are the Queens property so I am sure that it was given medical attention.)
    The point is, the guy obviously did not have proper control of his dog! Any dog can have a prey drive, that this dog obviously has. If it had been a dalmation, would you come to the same conclusion, that this dog was intrinsically vicious? It is a dog! sometimes they attack or chase prey! that is why we as owners need to have total control.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Staffs are such sweet dogs! We have an awesome amstaff mix at the shelter where I volunteer named Bocephus.

http://www.montanapets.org/bas/pictures/07-D0481.html

IMO that owner shouldn't have been beating that dog over the swan. It's called instinct and it's not the dog's fault it has a high prey drive. however, I am NOT saying I'd let my dog kill any animal whether it's a swan or a squirrel. there are better ways of handling the situation than beating YOUR dog to death if the dog attacks another animal. there is special pepper spray for dogs for that reason. better than beating the living hell out of the dog IMO. I would never beat my dogs over that, I would use the pepper spray that they make for dogs. I cannot believe a few of you would beat your dog if the dog attacked an animal.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

See my previous post.

The owner had no business having any animal not under control, off or on lead.

I have had a few of my dogs over the years react to other animals, A rottie that went after a chicken ...with the intent to shred it. It was dropped immediatley on command. Did the chicken live? as far as I know yes, it was minus a wing though and I paid the vet bills for it. I did not have to beat my dog, nor did it ever occur to me to do so.

A dane that decided the squirell was way more fun to shake than chase, again, it was released on command.

Maybe it is me but I feel if you intend to own a powerful animal, and in my book that is any animal, your responsibility is to teach, train, reinforce and be responsible for it. This owner clearly missed on a few of those.

It isn't the breeds per se, it is the ignorance of the breeds.

You state this animal was full of "blood lust", that is a trait that is held by trained animals taught to kill and to keep at that endeavour against all odds.
    Mayhap, this owner wasn't the nice bloke he appears?

In any event, the answers you seek are on several threads here. I will reiterate that all dogs can bite. Some are bred to, and sadly many are taught to for the wrong purposes.

Maybe its me but I dont understand why the dogs life is of more value than the swan. Isnt it possible that with all the best intentions and good training some creatures arent meant to be pets. I understand that if I had a lion as a pet and at some point it attacked someone, it could be said it is just its nature. So why couldnt that be true of these terrier type dogs if it is there nature then surely it is irresponsible to own such dogs. It was a swan this time but what if it was a child.
    [Gwen & Puppy

The dog was fine by the way after he spat out the swans feathers the owner put him on his lead and tied him to a post.
    [Gwen & Puppy

Maybe its me but I dont understand why the dogs life is of more value than the swan. Isnt it possible that with all the best intentions and good training some creatures arent meant to be pets. I understand that if I had a lion as a pet and at some point it attacked someone, it could be said it is just its nature. So why couldnt that be true of these terrier type dogs if it is there nature then surely it is irresponsible to own such dogs. It was a swan this time but what if it was a child.

I am sorry, do you not read?

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    tied him to a post.
    That might be part of the reason he's aggresive...
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Gosh!!! The man tied the dog to the post so he could tend to the swan that had been savaged by the dog. And I imagine so the dog couldnt attack any one else.
    [Gwen & Puppy

Yes the certain breed could have a higher prey drive, but if it is brought up properly and controlled then it can turn out to be a nice dog that would never be aggressive. It all depends on how well the owner brings up a dog. Any breed can be aggressive if an owner looks after it poorly or teaches it to kill, ecspecially breeds that already have a naturally higher prey drive, but with the right owner, any breed can be a sweet, non-aggressive dog.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo