View Poll Results: greyhound racing

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 35.42%
  • No

31 64.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you agree with greyhound racing???

do you agree with greyhound racing???

What do you think about it???
    I don't agree with it.
    I thought these would go good with the horse racing topic.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

As I said in the horse-racing thread, racing animals was never intended for animal lovers but for people wishing to make profit and gamble. I can't say that I know much about greyhound racing so I don't have a lot to say on the matter, but I guess I'm not interested in it in any way.

Zimbabwe 07/13

my opinion is the same for horse racing..

only IF the dog is treated well and not beaten if they lose I agree with it.

if they are racing in the scorching sun, I don't agree with it.

if they are beaten if they lose, I don't agree with it at ALL.

and then again people gamble over races even for greyhound races, it's sad.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Do I agree with:

-Providing dogs with minimum health care just to hold them til the next race?
    -Shooting, drowning, or beating to death a dog too old to be raced?
    -Beating a losing dog?
    -Keeping the dogs in cold kennels all year round with little human interaction?

No

Do I agree with:

-Allowing the dog to do what it was bred for?
    -Providing good shelter and plenty of love for racing dogs, maybe in a foster home?
    -Racing as a hobby, not for a living?
    -Rehoming retired racers?
    -Making sure the dog is always healthy and happy?
    -Positive effects of breeding for top performance on health and temperament?

Definitely

I had to answer "yes" because Greyhound racing isn't inherently cruel. It is evil humans that have turned it into a sport laden with cruelty. To me, Greyhound racing is no worse than dog breeding. Compare a racetrack and a puppy mill. Similar types of cruelty, no? Now think of responsible dog breeding. Responsible dog breeding involves:

Dogs being housed in warm, clean kennels, or breeders house.
    Dogs regularly exercised and given human contact.
    Dogs given as good, if not better, health care than average pets.
    Dogs are generally rehomed and fixed at the end of their "useful age".

If greyhound racing was carried out with the same consideration to the dogs health, happiness, and the well-being of the breed as a responsible breeding program, would you not agree with it?

Just my $0.02

Andy

I don't know that much about it, hardly anything at all. I am glad for the people who decided that retired racers would make terrific pets and started the adoption programs, though.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

In general, No. I do hope this thread remains civil as it has so far.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I've been in the neutral zone for a while now, but I answered yes for various reasons.

While it is true that modern greyhound racing deserves more improvements, racing today is vastly different from racing just a few decades ago. In a matter of years, greyhound adoption has increased leaps and bounds. In a matter of years, the amount of greyhounds getting euthanized is but a fraction of what it used to be. Yes, there are still dogs being euthanized and we need to improve on that aspect, but the statistics are favorable. Off the top of my head (I'm using very generalized numbers), about 25,000 greyhounds are registered with the NGA each year. About 20,000 of those dogs are adopted. About 3,500-4,000 dogs stay at kennels for breeding purposes or maybe just because the trainers really like them (it often happens). This results in about 1,000-1,500 dogs uncalled for, most likely euthanized. This is terrible, yes, but race tracks and adoption groups are working very diligently every day to increase adoption to 100%. I don't quite remember which track specifically boasts a 100% adoption rate but I want to say Southland...I'm pretty sure it was one of the tracks with "land" in the name so it could be Wonderland and/or Dairyland as well. I *believe* Multnomah had a 100% adoption rate when it was still in existence (don't quote me on that, though).

There was one quote that really stuck out in my head and I forget who said it, so forgive me if you're reading this:
    Racing is only as good as the retirement plan it has in place for the creatures that do the work.
    I will definitely not say that greyhound racing is anywhere near my standards, but it has come a long way and it is constantly improving. Just like anything else in life, it is not perfect. It has its shortcomings but racing definitely has many benefits. With the continued relationships between adoption groups and racetracks, I have no doubt in my mind that greyhound racing in *America* will serve as a model to all aspects of dog ownership. I only hope that it is a matter of sooner rather than later.

I agree fully with theterrierman.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I do not like greyhound racing for the already mentioned reasons.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

No, don't agree with it at all.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    I've been in the neutral zone for a while now, but I answered yes for various reasons.

While it is true that modern greyhound racing deserves more improvements, racing today is vastly different from racing just a few decades ago. In a matter of years, greyhound adoption has increased leaps and bounds. In a matter of years, the amount of greyhounds getting euthanized is but a fraction of what it used to be. Yes, there are still dogs being euthanized and we need to improve on that aspect, but the statistics are favorable. Off the top of my head (I'm using very generalized numbers), about 25,000 greyhounds are registered with the NGA each year. About 20,000 of those dogs are adopted. About 3,500-4,000 dogs stay at kennels for breeding purposes or maybe just because the trainers really like them (it often happens). This results in about 1,000-1,500 dogs uncalled for, most likely euthanized. This is terrible, yes, but race tracks and adoption groups are working very diligently every day to increase adoption to 100%. I don't quite remember which track specifically boasts a 100% adoption rate but I want to say Southland...I'm pretty sure it was one of the tracks with "land" in the name so it could be Wonderland and/or Dairyland as well. I *believe* Multnomah had a 100% adoption rate when it was still in existence (don't quote me on that, though).

There was one quote that really stuck out in my head and I forget who said it, so forgive me if you're reading this:

I will definitely not say that greyhound racing is anywhere near my standards, but it has come a long way and it is constantly improving. Just like anything else in life, it is not perfect. It has its shortcomings but racing definitely has many benefits. With the continued relationships between adoption groups and racetracks, I have no doubt in my mind that greyhound racing in *America* will serve as a model to all aspects of dog ownership. I only hope that it is a matter of sooner rather than later.
    I agree with this. If the dogs are taken care of, living in top standards, etc. I don't really mind it. I wouldn't really see myself going to one of these races, as I would not care to see them. I have heard horror stories, like dogs bodies were found dug under the track, but since it was based off PETA I don't think that is entirely true.

Some good thoughts here. I agree almost completely with terrierman.
    When it comes right down to:
    If greyhound racing was carried out with the same consideration to the dogs health, happiness, and the well-being of the breed as a responsible breeding program, would you not agree with it?
    ...this is where I show my extremism. I believe what you propose is a best case for THIS world. Unlikely, but much more likely than in my DREAM world, where no creature is a slave in any sense.
    (yes, I'm a vegan! )
    The problem with almost any plan, however wonderful, is the people who will then carry it out.
    Xan's Art

Follow the links from my site to the
    Create for a Cure Virtual Quilt
    A collaborative art project to raise money to fund research into cancer in greyhounds!

I do not agree with Greyhound racing. Many years ago my sister rescued a greyhound. When she first got her, Maggie had no hair on her rear end. This was from being locked up in a kennel all the time. She also did not like men. It took her a few months to totally be comfortable with my dad and brother. But as the months went on she became a sweetheart of a girl and everyone who met her loved her.
    (play hard at the bridge dear Maggie)
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I agree with it, and this helps to describe why http://www.gra-america.org/the_sport.../a_nature.html

Working as a volunteer in adoption and helping to do the bathings of new greyhounds coming in off the track or track adoption agencies for almost 2 years I have seen a lots of freshly arrived greyhound coming out of 3 different of the US they are is a lot better condition than most of the pet dogs being turned over to shelters, and definitely better mannered

Many years ago my sister rescued a greyhound. When she first got her, Maggie had no hair on her rear end. This was from being locked up in a kennel all the time. She also did not like men. It took her a few months to totally be comfortable with my dad and brother.
    Bald thighs also occurs in non reacing greyhound who are raised as pets and not crated and also in some line of whippets, Medical researcher have been trying to explain for years and still have no answer as to why it occurs, and has nothing to do with crate rub. Some will arrived fully haired off the track and a year or 2 later will have bald thighs, it appears to be genetic.

As for not liking men, it is probably because she was rarely exposed to men, the greater number of greyhound trainers are female, so often the only male a greyhound will have contact with is the state vet ( so not surprising they may feel a little wary of men if that is their only exposure.

When greyhound goes from track to a home, it would be like us taking a young child from it's family and home in North America and throwing it in with aboriginals in the jungles of Bornea, where absolutely nothing is familiar. If you were a child placed in that position how would you react? and how long do you think it would take you to adjust to a totally different lifestyle with totally new expectations of you? to me I view it as amazing that they can become comfortable and relaxed in only a couple months considering what a huge transition a pet life is for them