Thread: Is he sick or just jealous?

Is he sick or just jealous?

Today I witnessed Rocky squatting and peeing on a cat bed in the middle of my bed. He didn't seem to be straining and I didn't see any blood in it.

Last month someone peed in three different cat beds (one was hit twice) over the course of about two weeks and then it stopped. I never knew who it was but I suspected the kittens. Now after seeing Rocky do it today I guess it was him last month.

Rocky has been having some major jealousy issue with Moxie and Decker. He doesn't like them and he hates for them to play with his toys or sleep in areas he considers his. He has turned from being the sweetest cat ever to being a real butt lately. I've been trying to give him extra attention but he doesn't seem to want it sometimes.

Also, right before I saw him peeing today something happened with him and the kittens. One of them got stuck in my Bath and Body Works bag with the little twisted rope handles and knocked it off the dresser and/or was stuck in it and ran till they got free. Rocky and the kittens were the only ones in the bedroom and while I was picking it up is when Rocky peed. I wonder if it was a scared kind of thing?

From Decker with Love

Sadly It Sounds Like Jealousy, And Thats Going To Be Harder To Control As There Are No Pills For A Cat Who Has His Little Nose Out Of Joint.
    We Hope That Rocky Can Learn To Accept Those Cute Wonders.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Lets assume, for just a moment, that it is jelousy. The medication Jim and Sterling are taking (Amitripylin) might work. And you might not be able to wean him off of it (Although I have tried, they are better behaved ON the medication). Supposedly, as the vet says, it calms their stress to the point where "They dont care HOW many brothers and sisters they have". (those are her words....LOL)

So, if he gets a clean bill of health, you may still be able to control his "problem".

If you decide to medicate him, why not give Clomicalm a try? It doesn't make them drowsy or uncoordinated at all. I haven't had any incidents since starting Specs on it. Because it does sound like a jealousy issue, which is the case w/Specs, he's jealous of Boo, Clomicalm could do the trick.

Blessings,
    Mary

I'll be taking Moxie in to have her stitches removed tomorrow. I will ask the vet what she thinks. I'm know we will need to rule out illness but I have a gut feeling it is behavior. I will ask about medicating him.

Jen - you don't see any bad side effects from the meds? Is it safe for long term use?

Medusa - what is clomicalm? I've never heard it of before but I'm interested.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    Jen - you don't see any bad side effects from the meds? Is it safe for long term use?

Medusa - what is clomicalm? I've never heard it of before but I'm interested.
    You could see drowsiness if the dosage is too strong. Neither Jim nor Sterling exhibited any problems. I will admit that Sterling's personailty changed a bit, though. He use to be tremendously pesty (licking my hair, at night, for example) but he isn't so needy now.
    I do not know about side effect over the long term. I actually never asked because sometimes "ignorance is bliss". After trying other techniques to stop the spraying and after trying to wean him off the meds (and having them fail) I decided that I needed to take the risks (because the alternative would be the constant spraying.....which gets "old" real fast ).

I too would like to hear more about clomicalm. Might be worth a try here too.

Clomicalm is an anti-anxiety med that is usually used in dogs for separation anxiety but it's being used successfully w/cats for behavioral problems. I tried amitryptilene and at first it worked but it was short lived and Specs became very skittish and cried a lot. So my vet gave me some Clomicalm and I give him 1/4 tablet before bed. I've had no incidents since then and I have seen no side effects whatsoever. Ask your vet about it and maybe it'll be right for your cats. It sure has saved my furniture and my sanity.

Blessings,
    Mary

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this with Rocky. I hope you are able to get the situation under control.

I'll be curious to hear what the vet has to say.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I'll be curious to hear what the vet has to say.
    Me TOO! They won't give me anything to help calm Amy is stressful situations because it may effect how she gets around and make it worse... But there are times when she really needs something.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Lori, I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with Rocky. It sounds like a behavioral problem to me and hopefully you'll be able to find something that will work. Here's a website that answers some questions about clomicalm:clomicalm. Good luck.

Here's something else you might want to try:comfort time. This site seems extra slow to load for some reason.

Here's another thing you may want to try called composure from enturelypets.com composure. It also comes in a larger bottle. Good luck.