Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My cat just started doing this...

My cat just started doing this...

My cat all of a sudden started meowing...almost like a howl or cry and then he's super affectionate for a few minutes. He just started doing this a few days ago. My other cat is quite chatty but my other cat has never been like this. He does it at the weirdest times too. He was sitting on the back of the couch between my husband and I and he just let out this howl and then was trying to rub his head on anything he could. Very weird...any guesses as to what could be causing this? He is known to meow for treats and when I get home but its a happy high pitched meow...this is completely different now.

your cat is in heat. She needs to be spayed. Each time your cat goes into heat it increases her chances of getting certain cancers. Please make an appointment at the vets and have her spayed immediately. If this is her first heat it is usually pretty mild but the next one won't be. You could experience this every couple of month for a week at a time. Do yourself and mostly do your cat a big favour have her spayed.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

My cat is actually a male and he's fixed.

sorry I missed that she was a he. If he is neutered I would suggest you take him to the vet as it does sound rather odd behavior especailly out of the blue. There could be that something is not quite right. It is worth a shot. I am not sure what else it could be besides a medical issue. It could be behavioral too. Have you changed anything in the house recently? Have you gotten a new pet, a new baby, spending less time at home, bought new furniture etc. he could be voicing his opinion on the changes if there have been any but the way you discribe it I don't think so. I think a good once over by the vet is in order. better to be safe than sorry.

It could be anything or nothing. As long as your cat is acting fine otherwise, eating, drinking, potty-ing, playing normally and no scratching/itching or acting like in pain, I wouldn't worry too much. However if your cat is doing/not doing any of those things out of the ordinary then I'd make an appointment at your vet.

All of mine are spayed/neutered. Bear likes to yowl a LOUD MA-ROOOWW at the ceiling when he's bored and wants attention, his brother Pooky likes to wander through the house and cry softly maaarrroOOw when he's looking for where the people went, and if the old girl Dusty has a nightmare she wakes up suddenly and goes Murauph, muraphhh, maaarouuuph, until someone pets her and tells her it was all a nightmare. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I hope its nothing...I just found it a little unnerving when he did it for the first time. He did it in the middle of the night last night and woke me up...and now my other cat comes running to him whenever he does it. I don't know...I guess I'll just wait a few days to see if he keeps doing it. He is known to act a little strange sometimes...its like he freaks out and starts chasing nothing. LOL ....OMG...he just did his weird meow again

thats cute about the nightmare thing...LOL

Mr. Amber Cat always did something like this, every Spring. And his idea of Spring was anytime between Jan 1 and May 15. It would start for no apparent reason, and eventually go away, and I would suddenly realize he'd been quiet for two whole days!

Also, if it is a full moon, that brings out the weird in some cats (I'm not sure what phase the moon is in tonight.)

So, as someone else said, if all else is well, he is just being a cat.

just a few min ago he just drooled all over my other cat's side...I think we'll be making a trip to the vets on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeD
    just a few min ago he just drooled all over my other cat's side...I think we'll be making a trip to the vets on Monday.
    drooling...I don't know but I think I agree with you there. I know I would be taking my if they were doing something like that. It just doesn't seem right. Please keep us updated ok. I hope everything will be ok.

very weird...he seems to be acting ok though...still eating and using the litter box...I hate it when he's sick! My other cat has never had anything wrong with him...its always this one! I'll post again on Monday night after we see the vet! Please pray for my kitty...I'd be lost without him! Here is a picture of him...his name is Sonny!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a beautiful orangie boy he is. Lots of good thoughts and prayers coming for Sonny. I will be watching for the update.

(((HUGS))) to you too I know how much we worry about them when they are just not right.

Welcome to PT. Your Sonny looks very similar to my Sunny and my Sunny has always been a howler too. He usually does this at night because he wants to get the attention of his siblings so they'll play with him. It was a full moon on Friday night and I've noticed that my cats start getting much more active the week before a full moon. They have cat parties during the night and drag out their toys. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with your Sonny. Good luck.

I'm glad you are taking him in to the vet.... better safe than sorry. It might be a bored call, but with the drooling and the head rubbing I would be worried about a tooth problem (they don't always stop eating) or an ear infection.... both are very treatable. Hope he and you feel better soon.

Good luck with your Sonny.

I have a kitty who drools, he has since he was a baby. And I have a kitty who meows like a howl almost...

The drooler just came and told me it's bedtime - he pats me on the arm. I'll be praying for your little one.

Crystal