Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dashound is having problems...

My dashound is having problems...

I have a dashound whos about 3 1/2 months old now, and I'm not sure if this is just a phase he is going through or if its really something I need to get to the bottom of about. I know he's still young, but this is getting really out of hand.

You know the saying "Dog's don't potty on their own beds."? Well, My dog Zero, does. He has also went potty on our bed. I've lost count to how many sheets this dog has ruined. We've resorted into not letting him sleep at all with us. He sleeps next to the bed he of course crys, and moans. For the past 2 weeks now though, he's went potty on it. We take him out everynight before he goes to bed, and he goes just like normal. Later in the night we've woken up to the horrible smell, and I have to strip everything. Now, it's getting to the point where he goes on things he shouldn't be. Objects, shoes, pillows, my huge stuffed animal I have sitting up. We've punished him harshly, he still does it. We've punish him lightly, he still does it. We've not punished him at all a few times, and it still happens. I'm running out of ideas and sheets, to try and fix this. Is this some kind of getting back at us? Or is he really needing help? Anyone ever have the same or close to the problem I'm having? Any ideas?

Unless you catch him in the act, scolding does nothing but make more insecurity. He is young- and could go out more maybe. However- I would first rule out a physical problem like a urinary tract infection etc. More common in females- still it could be that.. Have you take him to the vet?

I have took him, he does not have an infection.

Was he housebroken before? Maybe it's time to get him a crate. A nice, small one, with enough space to stand, sleep, and turn around. When you cannot supervise him, he goes in the crate. He most likely will not pee in his crate. Make sure he gets all his meals in there, and sleeps there overnight. When you are watching him, if you see him start to act like he needs to go, bring him outside, and when he does his business, praise him! If he does have accident, quietly pick it up, and use a cleaner with special enzymes-Nature's Miracle, sold at Petsmart, is perfect.

Punishing a dog for peeing will only make him hide when he pees, and you'll find it later. He thinks hes getting in trouble for peeing, not where he's peeing. This shouldn't be an issue as you will have him in his crate when he can't be supervised.

And 3 1/2 months is still young...a Dachshund's bladder is pretty small at that age. Depending on what time you go to bed and wake up, consider setting a clock to get up once more overnight, or let him out at 12AM and then get up at 6AM to let him out again. And you should also play/walk him before bed...so he's pretty tuckered out and then he'll just sleep through the night, hopefully.

I agree...

I agree with the above posts, punishing will only make it worse. Your pup has had too much freedom for his age. He should still be in a crate. Try starting from the beginning and follow the same time limits and procedures as for a new pup. don't despair, he'll learn, he is still just a baby. Maybe you could try taking him out during the night until he matures and learns to hold.

He is not house trained, we are in the process of training him. I do priase him for using the potty outside. He does have a crate, a good size one. He even pottys in there. I've tried all of those suggestions. We take him out in the middle of the night. I always, everyday, play with before we/he goes to bed. I just don't understand why he does it. I don't scold him horrible for it. I've had dogs before and I know how it works. But never have I ever had a dog nor heard someone have a dog like this. He is so scared out of his bloody mind after doing it. It's like he's to lazy to get up from where he is, and just goes right there and then goes back to sleep, or stays up all night until we wake up to find it.

Hmm, this brings to mind something that John Fisher says in his book about dog behaviour.

It might bring something to light for you:

"The dog therefore definitely sees itself as an integral part of the family unit - not an addition to it, which is how we would normally see the structure. As a part of, and not in addition to, the dog is very much involved with the day-to-day family interactions. You only have to watch you own dogs behaviour when there is an argument to realise how concerned they become. In cases of ongoing domestic dispute, dogs have been known to act in some very bizarre ways - defecating on the bed, the table, or the clean washing. If a child started to behave in this way, we would naturally see that it was a psychological problem and a cry of some sort for help. When dogs behave in a similar fashion, we immediately view it as a training problem."

In other words, your dog may have another reason for soiling such bizarre areas as sleeping places. Is there anything that could be causing the dog any kind of stress?

It's something you maybe need to look into.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

What do you feed the dog? Canned food has a high water content. After about 3 PM, only feed dry kibble if you aren't already.

What about the water dish? Is it always available? Maybe take that up at about 8 PM, or 2 hours before you go to bed. Remember to make water available again immediately in the morning when you get up.

Then take the dog out one last time before you go to bed.

These suggestions may help. Good luck.

IMO, your dog is in a world of double standards. You expect him not to mess in your bed, but he's just 3 1/2 months old and not yet housetrained. That's like expecting a toddler to perform Trigonometry. You can't possibly skip ahead without creating a solid foundation. The previous posters have all got it right on the spot. Your pup isn't yet housetrained; ergo, he can't sleep on the bed without messing. The key is not to purchase a crate and keep it there as a living room accessory but to actually utilize it every day.

From now on, your pup is not allowed to sleep on the bed. He sleeps in the crate. He eats in the crate. He will learn to love his crate. At night, he will sleep in the crate, and he will learn to stop messing through his own mistakes. Dogs don't like sleeping in wet spots just as much as we don't. Remember he's just a.. what.. 14 week old puppy? I think it's time to take a small step back. In the end, it will be a huge step forward

You all are very helpful, I really do appericate all the advice. Thank you so much. More advice is still welcomed of course!

Yes, crate training is a great idea.

If he potties in the wrong place, don't even bother scolding him for it. Do you really think he's going to understand "Bad dog! Your not supposed to potty on the bed!". Uh huh lol, dog's don't understand english and it's not gonna do one darn bit of good. Even if he picks up on the tone of your voice, your only teaching him not to do it when your present. This can also cause problems trying to train him outside because you will have trained that he's not supposed to go potty in front of you. He won't link the scolding to the location, just the act. He'll just do it when your in the next room instead. Just clean it up like he did nothing wrong.

He is only a puppy, he needs to be restricted and not given the opportunity to go potty where he shouldn't. This is where a crate will come in handy.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

Be sure the crate isn't too big. If he can potty in one end and sleep in the other, it's too big. The crate needs to be just big enough to stand and turn around in.

Dachunds are a little more resistant than some to house training but they can learn it if you are consistent and patient.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Unless you catch him in the act, scolding does nothing but make more insecurity. He is young- and could go out more maybe. However- I would first rule out a physical problem like a urinary tract infection etc. More common in females- still it could be that.. Have you take him to the vet?

what do you mean by scolding????
    A pet is for life not for christmas

If you BUY you give an animal a home, if you ADOPT/REHOME you give an animal a life

Quote Originally Posted by sprokett
    what do you mean by scolding????
    Saying " no" etc. Doing it after the fact does nothing but confuse the dog why you are angry- they have no clue that spot on the floor came from them.. for all they know- you are mad because the floor got wet..
    I knew a friends dog once that was terrified of bathrooms- we could not figure this out- I mean the dog would fight you than go in the bathroom. One day she stepped out of the shower- and the dog was at the door- the dog stepped in a puddle from the shower on the floor . She said the look of terror on the dogs face of the wet floor- finally the light came on. The dog associated the floor with being wet to the dog getting in trouble.. no kidding!