Thread: Treats Instead Of Food? HELP!

Treats Instead Of Food? HELP!

Angel loves her treats. Chicken flavored, tuna flavored, any flavored! Well, Angel has been going over board with the treats and would rather eat the treats instead of her kitty food. I don't blame her. I would rather eat cookies intsead of hot dogs and mashed patatoes But she wouldn't eat unless she gets treats. My grandpa keeps giving her treats during dinner. My grandma yells at him and says "Don't give her treats yet! She didn't eat dinner!"
    Can I have any suggestions how to get Angel to eat real food instead of treats? Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Help Please!!!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Treats Instead Of Food? HELP!

Yes I have a couple of babies that try to do that.. I feed everyone a plate of wet food in the morning & if they eat that = then meowmom puts down treat bowls.. My girls also get dry food all day long.. Good Luck

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

My father in law is much like your grandfather and will give treats all the time if I wasn't always on his a$$. Treats have to stop completely for a few days until Angel goes back on her normal food then and only then should she be allowed to have any treats. And only a few treats. And only after she has eaten. If she does not eat then she doesn't need treats and should not get any. She is not getting the nutrients she needs from treats. Remind your grandfather that Angel cannot live on treats cause she will end up getting sick cause there is just not enough of what she needs in them. I hope this helps a little and maybe talk to your grandma and have her talk to your grandfather instead of you if you prefer it that way. Good Luck and keep us posted.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight
    Treats have to stop completely for a few days until Angel goes back on her normal food then and only then should she be allowed to have any treats. And only a few treats. And only after she has eaten. If she does not eat then she doesn't need treats and should not get any.
    And the best way to have this happen is to send grandpa on a trip for a few days. IF he is anything like my Dad.

I have one cat who would live on treats if she could. I now give her 'treats' that are actually Nutro dry cat food. She thinks they're great!

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff
    I have one cat who would live on treats if she could. I now give her 'treats' that are actually Nutro dry cat food. She thinks they're great!

I do that too. I give mine exigent by royal canin. I buy a small bag and they love them. Think it's treats and it is really cat food.

I never even thought of suggesting that.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight
    I do that too. I give mine exigent by royal canin. I buy a small bag and they love them. Think it's treats and it is really cat food.

I never even thought of suggesting that.
    My present kitty is not fond of "treats" at all (won't eat them usually) but when my past kitties got too fond of treats, I stopped feeding them as treats, and would bury a couple in their dry food bowl, so that they would smell the treat, and eat the food instead.

Another thing I have done in the past is that I always feed dry food, and would feed canned food as a special "treat" on occasion (My current kitty does not get canned food because of her digestive problems)

Quote Originally Posted by warmbear
    My present kitty is not fond of "treats" at all
    Snow is like that too! She'll sniff them and walk away
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by KittyGurl
    Snow is like that too! She'll sniff them and walk away
    Contessa may sniff them, and then "bat" at them a bit, but ever-so-rarely eats them. She would much rather have me play with her using the "birdie on a fishing pole" toy, and leap a few feet in the air a bit, than have a treat.

Ijust wanna let uknow, My kitty Zoey, she is about hmm, 10 months old, and when she was about 6 1/2 we got her fixed... well since then we found these new cat treats called Temptations, and alll the cats would go crazy for them, well we would buy alot of them cuz they really liked them..well Zoey got to the point she HAD to have them. so she would tear open every bag we had and eat them all. and now 4 months later she is reallly fat.. so a few weeks ago I noticed she wont eat anything but them, so I hid them away for along time and now she eats the regular cat food, and I give her maybe 1-2 treats a day.. I dont want her obese.. oh yeah My bf's mom has this Cat bree. she adoptedher from Overseas when she was smaller.. she is a few years old now.. well for somereason she has to have the liquid food first only cuz she likes the gravy in it, then awhile after that she will eat the hard food. we give her 2 things of the gravy food a day then through out the day only after shes had the gravy, she will eat the hard cat food.. shes spoiled little cat lol.. Good luck