Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Raw Diet Cause...... UPDATE..PG 2 POST # 26

Can Raw Diet Cause...... UPDATE..PG 2 POST # 26

Okay, so I started the pups on Raw food. I give them a mixture of a lot of things. Scruff started coughing yesterday and sneezing/coughing last night. He woke up and was coughing/sneezing pretty bad. Could it be the change of food? Is it normal? Or could he be allergic to something? Or is it just a cold? Any ideas fellow PTers?

Thanks-
    Last edited by Reachoutrescue; 01-31-2007 at 08:35 PM.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Quote Originally Posted by Reachoutrescue
    Okay, so I started the pups on Raw food. I give them a mixture of a lot of things. Scruff started coughing yesterday and sneezing/coughing last night. He woke up and was coughing/sneezing pretty bad. Could it be the change of food? Is it normal? Or could he be allergic to something? Or is it just a cold? Any ideas fellow PTers?

Thanks-
    Yes it could be a food allergy. Depending on what was fed the dog might have aspirated a particle of food up into the nose causing the sneezing. Or something in the raw mixture might have made the esophagus raw. Switch the dog back and avoid the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    Switch the dog back and avoid the problems.
    Dog food has so much garbage in it and my vet recommended Raw. I am going to call him. Scruff's nose is a little warm...not wet and cold like normal. I just wanted some opinions from PTers. Thanks.

www.rornfp.org

LOL don't just switch him back. That's silly to say. Raw is perfectly fine for him. The key is to add one item at a time gradually, thereby being able to note anything that suddnely seems to cause a problem and thus removing that from the diet. It's not difficult and it could be completely unrelated. Start with one item, feed for a few days, it also helps get the system used to raw. Then you can add another. The dog will be perfectly fine while adding new items slowly to avoid upset tummies or allergy problems. It could also be purely coincidental. Don't ask the board, talk to your vet.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Dog food has so much garbage in it and my vet recommended Raw. I am going to call him. Scruff's nose is a little warm...not wet and cold like normal. I just wanted some opinions from PTers. Thanks.
    That sounds totally independant of this. This is the time of year kennel cough runs more rampant .. ( not sure why- I forgot.).. If the sneezing continues- run by the vet. Also if the dog was recently at the vet, the dog could have picked this up.
    Aspiration is highly rare with any food- actually can occur more so with powder dust that is like at the bottom of a dog food bag- but even then- its a streatch.
    Allergies are usually NOT nasal- they are skin- or itching- not nasal.. Lets see what happens..

Thank you guys. I feel better now. I am giving Scruff a Vitamin C tablet once a day (starting yesterday) and I will keep an eye on him. He has a vet apt on Friday. I will see how he is by then, and if he is not better, I will run it past the Dr. Thanks again..I feel better now.

www.rornfp.org

Take a look at the number of posts on health now for kennel cough. I heard it was because although cold- the dogs start interacting with other dogs is the reason for the increase with kennel cough this time of year.. Let us know what he says.

Dog food has so much garbage in it .
    Yep, mine enjoy eating that garbage everyday, day after day after day. Being after 3PM, and close to their feeding, they are already starting to pester me for more garbage.

LOL don't just switch him back. That's silly to say.
    It's always very silly to go back to the ground state before problems occured. More variables, more unknowns, more fun.

This is the time of year kennel cough runs more rampant ...Aspiration is highly rare with any food
    Probably any condition that allows crowding be it several in a pen or kennel will do the trick due to the contagious nature of the disease. But until one sees copious amounts of mucus coming out of the nose (usually of an unpleasant color), Kennel Cough is a secondary possibility. In each dog I've had with KC, it started out as a clear discharge and changed over to extremely mucoid and copious in amount within 12-24 hrs. Concurrently they usually get a little fever at the same time.

Indeed aspiration is rare, but after reading some of the threads in the past of what people feed their dogs, it can't be discounted. If a mixture of a lot of things means meat and veggies then a foreign object causing a reflex reaction is probably remote. But add in feathers, fur, or bones, and it remains a possibility.

Oh well, time to get out of yet another religious raw thread.

feathers??? fur??? lol.. You really do not understand raw I would guess. You do know that commercial diets can include- beaks, feathers, cancerious tumors, hide- etc and AFCO will call it protein. As stated- you can make 25 percent protein and 15 percent fat by soaking beef hide- with oil..
    Given that option- no thank you- I feed raw- I KNOW what goes in the bowl- piece by piece-.. No puzzles I have to worry about..
    Reachoutrescue- my vet also promotes raw diet as well.. And makes a joke " even if that means I only see you once a year for the heartworm test- at least they are healthy..

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    Yep, mine enjoy eating that garbage everyday, day after day after day. Being after 3PM, and close to their feeding, they are already starting to pester me for more garbage.

Yeah, my two just LOVE garbage too. Don't let them get to you, it's
    not worth it. To each his own, I guess.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow. I was not trying to start a debat. I was just to get some suggestions about my dog. I don't care what you guys feed your dogs, that was just my opinion. No need to make enimies here. Sorry if I angered anybody.

www.rornfp.org

You angered noone dont worry. We are here to help one another and to AGREE TO DISAGREE. I feed mine dry food and just got these treats that he loves......but if raw works for you and your pups GREAT it doesnt work for all and thats fine.....Anyway on another note I would like some thoughts on these new treats I havent given any to Mister yet my moms friend sell the dog food line and gave me a box for me to try...well you knew what i meant. Again any thoughts are welcome.......

http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/prod...categoryid=177

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chiwawa
    You angered noone dont worry. We are here to help one another and to AGREE TO DISAGREE.

Anyway on another note I would like some thoughts on these new treats I havent given any to Mister yet my moms friend sell the dog food line and gave me a box for me to try...well you knew what i meant. Again any thoughts are welcome.......
    Thanks... I just don't want anybody mad. I never gave my pups those treats, so I am not sure. They sound okay though. Hope he likes them.

www.rornfp.org

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chiwawa
    You angered noone dont worry. We are here to help one another and to AGREE TO DISAGREE. I feed mine dry food and just got these treats that he loves......but if raw works for you and your pups GREAT it doesnt work for all and thats fine.....Anyway on another note I would like some thoughts on these new treats I havent given any to Mister yet my moms friend sell the dog food line and gave me a box for me to try...well you knew what i meant. Again any thoughts are welcome.......
    I agree she was asking a question- and raw is one of those things- either you totally agree- or confused by it, or flat out do not agree. I have found it helps my dogs- and wouldnt change. Did even for a month for health reasons of my own- and quite frankly- they are healthier and happier on raw..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    feathers??? fur??? lol.. You really do not understand raw I would guess. You do know that commercial diets can include- beaks, feathers, cancerious tumors, hide- etc and AFCO will call it protein. As stated- you can make 25 percent protein and 15 percent fat by soaking beef hide- with oil..
    Given that option- no thank you- I feed raw- I KNOW what goes in the bowl- piece by piece-.. No puzzles I have to worry about..
    Reachoutrescue- my vet also promotes raw diet as well.. And makes a joke " even if that means I only see you once a year for the heartworm test- at least they are healthy..
    No fur? The laughs on you. Do a search for the frozen rabbit thread. ROTFLMAO!

Day after day I feed my dogs garbage consisting of necrotic tumors and bird beaks(?), and who knows how many dangerous unidentified chemicals per the Propet Large Puppy formula. But in spite of feeding my two dogs this toxic brew they have high energy, excellent coats, no allergies, no arthritis, no metabolic disorders, no diarrhea, no vomiting. Not only that but at feeding time the food doesn't stay in their dishes for long. How could it be that they would eagerly want to eat that crap day after day, and be perfectly healthy? Oh I forgot, in another thread I was told you can't tell by looking.

If only I would feed them raw pork, turkey, chicken back bones, and let's not forget about the frozen bunny in the freezer! Avoid consistency in the diet at all costs. Throw in a one day starvation period to help them purge or whatever the reason? Aaah now I have the solution. Next weekend no more scolding when we go to the pond for a swim. If they really want to go swim out and snack on the deer floating near the one pond edge, I'll encourage them to go for it! What could be a more natural feeding than that???