Thread: My dog has bald patches

My dog has bald patches

I have a maltese that is going to be two in march. She has a bald patch that is getting bigger. She seems to be healthy otherwise. She is doing normal activites and is eatting and all of that. I took her to the vet and they gave her a spray but it does not seem to be working. The bald patch is getting bigger. Does anyone know what is causing this and what to do?

I don't know what it is but I think it's best to go back to the vet and see if they can shed some light. Good luck with the problem.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_goin510
    I have a maltese that is going to be two in march. She has a bald patch that is getting bigger. She seems to be healthy otherwise. She is doing normal activites and is eatting and all of that. I took her to the vet and they gave her a spray but it does not seem to be working. The bald patch is getting bigger. Does anyone know what is causing this and what to do?
    If the skin is dry and scaly (and/or thickened) then one possibility would be the exotic Sebaceous adenitis, a recessive genetic disorder in the Maltese where the sebaceous glands lubricating the skin die out. Try giving some fish oil, maybe try to find 500 ml fish oil gel caps if they exist and give one 2X daily. Also ask the Vet the appropriate dose of Vitamin-E to give. The dry succinate salt form is best for maximum absorption.

I would definately take your dog back to the vet. It could be there is another medication that will work better, or maybe the dog now has some kind of skin infection from scratching.

Either way a trip back to the vet is in order.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Did they do a skin scrapping to make sure its not mites?

yea she was scraped and they didnt find any mites