Thread: after neutering when are you suppose take off plastic e-collar?

after neutering when are you suppose take off plastic e-collar?

after what period time are you allowed to take off plastic e-collar after neutering?

Vet should have given you some indication. It is whenever you can take it off, and the dog doesn't focus his attention THERE, where he shouldn't be nosing, until it heals. No set rule, depends on the dog and the soreness the dog is feeling.

Dazzle (cat) was "supposed" to keep it on for . . . 3 days. He learned to take it off in 20 seconds! Dad and I took turns sitting up with him the first night. By noon the next day, he was busy focusing on other things and we took it off for good. And both took long naps!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jagsjorge
    after what period time are you allowed to take off plastic e-collar after neutering?
    Some dogs will actively chew and rip out stitches. Others may lick excessively at it. Still others may only occaisonally lick at an incision.

If you have a dog that chews, then it will have to be a conehead until the incision is completely healed. If it licks excessively then there is a chance of infection. IMO as long as the dog is on antibiotics the chances are low, but Vets seems to get more excited about it than the dog. If an occaisional licker, then no problems.

If the dog is use to the collar, might as well leave it on. Or you can try taking it off while you are around. I never had any problems with the spaying or neutering of my puppies. Maybe an older dog would(?).