Thread: New Poodle, Help!

New Poodle, Help!

Hi everyone.

I have just taken on the wonderful (and awesome) task of adding an 8 month old standard poodle to my 4 cat household.

I know "Bo" is anxious and won't let me out of her sight. What's the best way to soothe her so that when i have to go out she doesn't bark too much.

The cats have done their disappearing act pretty well, though I can hear a meow or two here or there questioning my sanity.

Any help would be great! thanks

It is a pleasure to meet you Katelf. I am the slave of two poodles right now (one is a standard) although this breed has been capturing my heart for the past 30+ years. Congratulations on your new addition! I would love to hear lots more about Bo and maybe be treated to pictures.

Without knowing too much about Bo's past it is hard to reply to your answer. Was Bo a rescue? Does she have anything in her past that you know about? Do you crate her? Is she in good health?

The only dog that I have had who I would classify as *extremely clingy* is my Ripley and he is the only one of my crew that I didn't get as a puppy. There is a lot about his past that I don't know, but I definitely get the impression that he would not like to repeat it. He is never more than an inch from my side and, though does not suffer from separation anxiety, is definitely much happier when I am close by. There are lots of people here who will undoubtedly offer better advice than I can. In the meantime, welcome to the board and I hope we hear lots more about Bo and your kitties.

Hey!...welcome to that crazy world of 'poodles'
    I would'nt EVER be without my babies,and i wish you as much joy as me,Pam and all the other 'poodle-a-holics' get each and every day....
    As for your little worry about yours...Bo is still more thank likley settling in with her new family and her strongest connection sounds at the minute you! ...hence her clinginess...this could have come from how she was treated before coming to you and since you dont say much about her past,i am just guessing here.
    I know its an old cliche but time is the greatest healer...in the meantime when 'Jakey' was suffering and feeling more clingy than usual(he wouldnt let me up from the chair without coming to check i wasnt making a mad dash for it! ),we got a D.A.P from our vets...now simply this is a Dog Appeasing Pheromone,which plugs into a socket iin your room and the little device emitts,a calming smell similar to when pups are snuggled up with their mum...yes i would say it works...yes Jakey stopped trying to dig his way out of our house when we had to leave him!
    No these D.A.P,s are not big dollars,maybe it could work for you.
    Lastly enjoy your poog and i look forward to seeing some photo's.

thanks

Hi folks,
    Thank you for your replies. She is a sweet girl who along with a sister was given back to a breeder due to an increasing family, and lack of time to train. In some ways she is a rescue dog. I was flabbergasted by how quickly she glommed onto me when I first visited her. She is great in the car. She doesn't want to chase the cats, she's just interested (and they are freaked, lol). She has some "paper training" and I am going to attempt crate training. She is whiny whenever I leave her sight. I have great neighbours, thankfully.

She hasn't really had a name of her own.

But, like all poodles (or puddles as my Dad insists on calling them), she is SMART and listens closely.

Two of my four cats have made appearances. The maine coon (Sophie) is quite intrigued and leaves me hopeful.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for your words!

The others are correct, the situation is still new to her and she needs time to adjust. In the meantime what you can do to help ease her being left alone is to give her a special treat that she gets only for the times when she will be by herself. The treat could be anything that she really likes such as a kong toy stuffed with her favorite food. This can help her associate being alone as a good thing.
    ----------------------------
    http://waterart.50webs.com