Thread: My lab mix is eating my cats..

My lab mix is eating my cats..

POOP!! I've heard before as to why they sometimes do this but I can't remember for the life of me WHY??? Can anyone answer this one for me? I try to keep the "box" clean but my gosh, I can't be in two places at once! Sometimes he just picks it [poop] up and lays it somewhere else in the house!!

Any answers, anyone???

Simple answer - a covered cat litter box, with the opening too small for the dog's head to get into!

I have a couple of "simple" answers myself, one being the covered catbox and second, seperating the cats from the dog but do NOT want that. I do have a covered catbox and I suppose will have to get out and use but I typed the post in hopes of SOMEONE knowing as to WHY my Lilli is doing this type of thing. I'm hoping there isn't some kind of health issue here.

Thank you for the reply anyway!

Any clues, anyone?

Ummmmmm. Good stuff!

I have a friend who's dog does the same thing, but outside the house, in the garden.

Its just a nasty habit. I suggest a different arrangement for the litter box. Maybe something around it that won't allow the dog to access it.....maybe a cat door to the box in a closet? Or a smaller opening in the box.

Good luck. Its pretty common so don't feel as though you have the only dog eating....well, cat poop.

I heard that dogs do this for extra nutrients, but no one really knows why they do it Some other people believe that they do it just becuase they like the taste gross!

You could try to put something really gross that your dog hates on it. When it tries to go eat it, it will taste the gross stuff and not want to eat it. Like BBQ sauce or w/e works with dogs.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)