Thread: Beagle Help

Beagle Help

ok, I need help with a few things. My sweetie Ivy is 7months old. and she has some pretty bad habbits Like for starter I can not get her potty trained! i have trained her to pee pads she good with number one and when it come to number two. and is send her outside four hours then she come in and pees right in the middle of the floor. and then the eating everything i telling her no but she just runs from me and hides under something (like a table or behind a chair) so i cant get her. then she trys to bit if she eating anything. oh and to top if off my hole family HATES her!!!!!
    Please I did help the training i am doing is not working at all and I there is not a Training Classes with in a 100 miles

You said you trained her with pee pads......I haven't used those myself, but I don't think they are the best idea. She may not understand that she is supposed to go outside. How do you react when you see her peeing in the house? Do you go outside with her to make sure she goes when you "send her outside for hours"? You need to be outside with her and when she goes she should be praised.

I have a puppy as well and she's always grabbing anything she's not supposed to have and running off with it. When I chase her it just makes her hide from me too, I've found that offering her something else to "trade" for the object (uusally a toy) instead of chasing he works better...she'll give me that object willingly. You need to make sure nothing is left within her reach, anything on the floor is a target for puppies!

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleLover
    ok, I need help with a few things. My sweetie Ivy is 7months old. and she has some pretty bad habbits Like for starter I can not get her potty trained! i have trained her to pee pads she good with number one and when it come to number two. and is send her outside four hours then she come in and pees right in the middle of the floor. and then the eating everything i telling her no but she just runs from me and hides under something (like a table or behind a chair) so i cant get her. then she trys to bit if she eating anything. oh and to top if off my hole family HATES her!!!!!
    Please I did help the training i am doing is not working at all and I there is not a Training Classes with in a 100 miles
    Get to the library and pick up a dog training book. Ivy seems like she is in charge, and you need to start training from scratch.

Potty train her like you would a new puppy. Just a little while after she eats, take her outside for a walk. Stay out until she does her business - and praise her like crazy when she does. Take her out often, as often as you can, and praise whenever she pees outside. If she even starts "the squat" in the house, clap your hands to interrupt that "thought" and immediately bring her outside, and again, stay outside until she pees, then praise like crazy. Get everyone in the family involved in this. If you have to, keep her on a leash and next to you all the time until she is potty trained.

Make the family realize that everyone needs to be part of Ivy's training. I am sure they seem to "hate" her because she is untrained. Let them realize they can all be part of making her the great little beagle she is meant to be.

Never ever leave food - anything food-related where she can get it. She is a beagle - their worlds are defined by their powerful noses. And they are hounds - all food is good food! (Whether or not it makes them sick doesn't seem to matter.)

Work on all sorts of obedience training with her once the potty training is done. A busy beagle is a happy beagle, and a tired beagle is a good beagle. The more activities you can enjoy with her, the happier you both will be.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    You said you trained her with pee pads......I haven't used those myself, but I don't think they are the best idea. She may not understand that she is supposed to go outside. How do you react when you see her peeing in the house? Do you go outside with her to make sure she goes when you "send her outside for hours"? You need to be outside with her and when she goes she should be praised.

I have a puppy as well and she's always grabbing anything she's not supposed to have and running off with it. When I chase her it just makes her hide from me too, I've found that offering her something else to "trade" for the object (uusally a toy) instead of chasing he works better...she'll give me that object willingly. You need to make sure nothing is left within her reach, anything on the floor is a target for puppies!

This is a question for Wolf - I baby-sat my niece's 4 month old Corgi (she is so cute!). I haven't had a puppy for about 15 years now. You are right - when they take something you don't them to have - trade something. It worked - but does the trading ever stop? I mean - as they get older, will you always have to trade something you want them to give up or do they grow out of that? I don't remember having that problem with my pups - then again, who remembers that long ago?