Thread: How to put weight on

How to put weight on

Maybe it's just her breed, but I can not seem to put anymore weight on Adele. She doesn't seem unhealthy by any means, but she is a bit skinny (you can see her last few vertebrae).

I've been feeding her extra now for about a month, and she doesn't look like she's put any on...she does not have parasites or any kind of health problems. What can I do to have her gain a little bit of weight? It seems like whatever extra I give her she burns off in exercise.

If you really think she needs to gain a bit, I'd use Satin Balls:
    10# hamburger meat
    1 jar wheat germ
    1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    10 eggs
    10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
    1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
    A pinch of salt
    1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)

That's a huge recipe. You could cut it down if you don't have room to freeze the extras. I freeze it in small ziploc baggies. Just take out of the freezer and hand it to the dog. I've never had a dog refuse to eat them. I used them alot when Paxil was battling cancer.

I don't think she sounds dangerously skinny though. I have several dogs that I can see vertabrae or ribs very easily, mainly the long houndy types(Anvik, Ozzy, Mac..). There is lots of evidence that slightly skinny dogs live longer, healthier lives than their overweight counterparts(just like humans!). As long as you aren't see any other concerning symptoms, like lack of energy, poor coat, ect, I wouldn't worry too much about a couple pounds.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I use Nutri-Cal or Nutri-Stat. You can buy tubes at some pet supply stores, but I buy mine at dog shows.
    I've been BOO'd!

Has the vet checked the thyroid?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    Has the vet checked the thyroid?
    Hyperthyroidism, which would cause weight loss, is very rare in dogs. Hypothyroidism would have the opposite problem--fat dog. I have several hypothryoid dogs and getting weight on them is not a problem! I have a hyperthyroid cat who is extremely skinny. Hyperthyroidism is common in older cats. Cats are rarely hypothyroid and dogs are rarely hyperthyroid, unless they have thyroid cancer, which would have other symptoms.
    http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hyperthyroidism.html
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I was wondering about the thyroid function as well.
    As far as the vertibrae- of course- you can feel most of them on my breed, but that is the breed as well.
    Nutrical works very well- without adding too much food into the stomach which can cause- gas, bloating, loose stools from too much etc. When we got femka, she was easily 10 pounds underweight- and that was a low estimate. It was her thyroid and with that a slight increase in food, nutracal, and medication- she gained 15 pounds and looks great. Now you can only feel the ribs, verses before you could see the ribs through her coat. Other than weight loss- signs for thyroid problems are- cold behavior ( looking for warmth, dry coat or a dusty look to the coat, and dry skin. Previously, if you put a towel or blanket on Femka she would sleep under it for hours- now if you do the same- she moves within 10 minutes..
    If you get the thyroid tested, have them send it to a full lab like Michigan State. They can also be " symtomatic " meaning they are showing the signs of this disorder, but the tests come back borderline or low ranges of normal..

Isn't Adele a Whippet mix? I wouldn't worry about her. I like my dogs very lean. If I can't see Giselle's ribs and backbones, I start increasing the exercise. There is nothing more upsetting to me than overweight dogs, and I like to make sure my dogs are far from it. My friend has a Corgi, too, and it can sometimes be difficult to gauge who is overweight and who is underweight when we get together with the dogs.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure it isn't her thyroid- she went to the vet last month for shots/check up and had a clean bill of health...she does not have any other symptoms either. I will try some of the tips everyone suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Isn't Adele a Whippet mix?
    She's a greyhound mix, so I know she's naturally thin. You are right about corgis, though! It's hard to keep the weight off...I keep them in shape, but I really have to watch Marta's portions. I went to a meeting of corgis and my two were the fittest...Vallis is naturally skinny for a corgi, but he's a total food hog, and he was begging for food, it looked like we starved him compared to many of the other corgis!

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure it isn't her thyroid- she went to the vet last month for shots/check up and had a clean bill of health...she does not have any other symptoms either. I will try some of the tips everyone suggested.

She's a greyhound mix, so I know she's naturally thin. You are right about corgis, though! It's hard to keep the weight off...I keep them in shape, but I really have to watch Marta's portions. I went to a meeting of corgis and my two were the fittest...Vallis is naturally skinny for a corgi, but he's a total food hog, and he was begging for food, it looked like we starved him compared to many of the other corgis!
    If she is a greyhound mix, you are going to see those bones- all sighthounds have a rise in their back that sits higher up. All 4 of mine you can feel those last few bones on the back- totally healthy- and PERFECTLY normal as a sighthound. Its harder to see on my breed with the coat, but easy to feel. Especially if the 'rise' in the back starts before the last rib. This is called a 'wheel back'.