Thread: Urinary Tract Health Cat Food?

Urinary Tract Health Cat Food?

I rescued Auggy from a vet clinic I worked at after his owner didn't want him anymore (couldn't afford the high cost of dealing with a cat with FLUTD). He came in with a suspected blockage, but his bladder was flushed easily and we found no blockage. He had blood in his urine and he "leaked" all over the place in his cage.

When I brought him home, it only took a couple of weeks for him to return to his "normal" self. I put him on a prescription diet (Medi-Cal Dissolution Formula). He was on it for a few months and then I switched him over to Natural Balance. He was doing AWESOME for an entire year --- until the apartment fire.

He was taken from our apartment to a friends place and then to this new apartment. He was extremely stressed out, inappropriate urination, dripping urine, licking his nether regions etc. He is great now since he has settled in, but I know what caused it - it was totally my fault.

One night, I realized the cats were out of food and all of the pet stores were closed. DH had to run out and buy some Cat Chow ( ). Then the fire happened and Auggy had to stay with a friend. Guess what she fed him? Cat Chow... It made his urine extremely acidic (I could smell it).

Now I am wondering what the best commercial premium cat food is (for urinary tract health)? I have read that Felidae contains cranberries for urinary tract health, but is that really my only option? Don't get me wrong, I love Felidae since it's high quality and inexpensive. Do you have any brands you want to suggest?

Sorry to ramble, but I have three male cats and really want to make sure that have good urinary tract health.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Why not go back to the natural balance??

Hmmm...I don't know if what I am saying is actually correct, and I am embarrassed by it, too.

Dakota, male, 6 years old, has had several issues with his tract. The vet finally "told" me to switch over to Hill's C/D. That, or keep coming in for fluids, injection and rx. I have 5 inside, and 3 outside "strays" (they have a home, I still feed them) on a prescription diet. Ouch.

Are you saying that a non- rx food is out there for UTI issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Are you saying that a non- rx food is out there for UTI issues?
    I just wanted to put him on a premium food that helps with urinary tract health. He is doing great now, I was just wondering if anyone here had a cat with these issues and what they're feeding. He never had an issue on Felidae, Natural Balance etc. but my boys did get a little chunky from the NB.

Eagle Holistic is for Urinary Tract Health. If my critters would eat it I would use it. So I feed Innova and Spunky hasn't had anymore stones. Spunky's problem was the bone meal in the cheap food.

You can find Eagle brand in the less well known pet stores and feed stores. I use Animal Supply House (local or national?) and Saluda River Pet Supply(local) when needed.

Anne
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Since my Storm was blocked 2 times and then needed PU surgery, I can't afford to fool around with the food that I feed him. So far the Royal Canin Urinary S/O has been working and this helps prevent both the struvite crystals and the calicium oxalate crystals. I'm now feeding this to all of my cats because I have 4 males and it shouldn't hurt them. Now with Starr's issues I'm going to try the Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea Allergy Formula to see if this will help his diarrhea problems.

Since the Natural Balance worked before, I'd just stick with it and just feed your cats less of it to help control their weight. Good luck.

Fister has had these problems too and my vet recommended Hills S/D for 4-6 months I think, and then to change to Hills C/D. I would suggest you try this, or Royal Canin Urinary S/O, as KAK suggested.

Hills S/D is meant to dissolve the crystals (struvite I think), and C/D is for preventing him to get them.

Make sure you feed him things with low amounts of Calcium, Ash and Phosphorus. My vet also said: Don't even give him ONE shrimp!

Also, be aware that stress can tricker UTI's.

Hope you find something he likes and helps prevent him from getting it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I was looking at the Natural Balance website again and they now have a reduced calorie formula for cats. Here's the link: Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Formula.

Thanks everyone! I switched my boys to a Biologically Appropriate Real Kibble (BARK). It is called Orijen and it has wonderful ingredients. It has a

Orijen Cat

Fresh Regional Ingredients

Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

Tonic Herbs & Botanicals

Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

Organic Minerals

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

Probiotic Microorganisms

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

Premium Vitamins

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

Guaranteed Analysis

Protein 45.0% (min.)
    Fat 20.0% (max.)
    Carbohydrate 15.0% (min.)
    Moisture 10.0% (max.)
    Fiber 2.0% (max.)
    Omega-6 3.8% (min.)
    Omega-3 0.9% (min.)
    Taurine 0.25% (min.)
    Magnesium 0.09% (max.)
    Microorganisms 40 M cfu/kg

Botanical Inclusions

Marshmallow root 350 mg/kg
    Chicory root 350 mg/kg
    Stinging nettle 300 mg/kg
    Burdock root 300 mg/kg
    Fennel seed 200 mg/kg
    Marigold flowers 200 mg/kg
    Chamomile flowers 200 mg/kg
    Milk thistle 200 mg/kg
    Summer savory 100 mg/kg
    Chickweed 50 mg/kg

I also happened to find a commercial cat food that is specifically make for urinary tract health. I didn't buy it because it has a lot of corn/fillers. It is made my Techni-Cal (Canadian).

My vet told me that Purina One Urinary Tract Health/Care (can't remember the exact anme) was a good choice as well.

I am an all natural person for my pets, I make their food fresh and raw every night and I also use herbs for their urine problems as the one family of cats i have are just prone to it. I also use "Tinkle Tonic" by Animals Apawthecary which is a life saver, but the real lifesaver is "Utica Urens" homeopathic mother tincture. It works every time on my two cats and they are urinating within hours.

I refuse to pump antibiotics in them which strip their digestive tract of enzymes they need to digest their foods. Not only do the herbs and homeopathics do the job they are also safe when used as directed and are also nutritious. I've researched the subject for years of natural health and sad to say without stirring up controversy, but the worst thing for cats with urinary tract problems is dry food of any kind. Cats need fluid to keep their urine diluted which helps prevent concentration and formation of crystals in the urine. Sadly I've learned it through the loss of one pet at only 5 years of age. I've researched for 10 years and I won't go back to commercial dry processed foods ever again.

My cats get a diet of ground raw turkey or chicken along with chopped raw vegetables and a very quality food supplement as well as healthy oil and calcium supplements. Taurine is natural in uncooked meats so we dont' have to supplement taurine altho it doesn't hurt to add some. I love my cats like I know all of you do, and if you give some thought to what cats ate 60 years ago and today's diseases for pets were unheard of, you might begin to understand why they get sicker and sicker than they used to. They are not eating what is closest to what they eat naturally.

I hope you don't mind my saying this. But my cats are relatively healthy. The kitten we took in 7 years ago gave us five kittens and all of them have had urinary problems. None of my other cats has ever had it. Her kittens were prone to this problem and with the use of herbs and homeopathics and raw natural food they are doing great! They have ocassionaly occurances of the urinaty irritation because one they get it they continue to have them over the course of their lives.

Please just understand I care so much I research heavily to give my pets the best I can afford and I am poor not rich and this natural feeding is not expensive. Saves me tons of vet bills!

hugs to all and thank you so much for listening.

Lucy

Lucy,

I would LOVE the feed my cats a raw diet, problem is, the one with the urine issues won't tough anything other than his cat food. I put down boneless pieces of raw chicken, turkey and beef for my other two - they love it!