Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Siberian Husky owners

Calling all Siberian Husky owners

Ok, after some thought and talking to a good friend and dog breeder, we decided to forego a Chesapeake Retriever and get a Siberian Husky. We were looking for a large breed, and huskies sure are large !

So, I will undoubtly have a zillion questions once our little bundle of joy arrives here. Technically, she hasn't even been conceived yet, the breeder is waiting for the prospective mom , Envy, to go into heat Then , once the pups are born we go to see them and choose ours.

In the meantime I am doing some heavy research on the breed and puppy training in general. But, as good as that is, its always better to 'hear it from the horses mouth' . So, I know there must be a few Siberian mommies/daddies out there who can offer me tidbits of advice? I'll probably fill a filing cabinet in the next few months with puppy info and tips lol.

Thanks in advance!!
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

umm have you done any research at all on huskies?
    Huskies are not really that big of a dog, they are a medium sized dog.. Full-grown males measure 21-23.5 inches at the withers and females are slightly smaller. Weight ranges from 35 to 50 pounds for females and about 10 pounds more for males.. However I consider a large dog to be one like a Great dane, or mastiff.. Your opinion might be different. Are the parent of your future puppy registered, and shown? I think you should think of all those questions before even putting money down ont he puppy.. There is alot to know about he Siberian husky.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I think she was being sarcastic about the large dog part.

From what I gather...although I am not a husky owner...they jump, climb, and dig under fences, regular houdinis. Once they get out it can be a very long time before you get them back. They have oodles of energy and show it. They shed a TON, and a lot of them "speak" to you, all the time, in a high pitched whiney voice. If you ever heard a husky talk, you know what I mean. They have a HIGH prey drive. If they are not kept from being bored, they WILL find something else to do! They really need lots of socialization. They have health problems from A to Z...thyroid, epilepsy, etc. Make sure you breeder health tests, I cannot stress this enough, especially with this breed.

Husky people, I find, are kind of special in being able to deal with their breed . And husky people love the breed for those points. Other people who don't research the breed and just get a cute puppy always are in a world of trouble. I always prefer to tell people the negative points of a breed first. Huskies are great dogs, and other PTers will fill you in on the good stuff.

the best info on the breed I found was on sibe rescue group's websites. do a search for "siberian husky rescue" and you will find a ton of great info about "the good" AND "the bad" of the breed. good luck!
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

Well, while not HUGE dogs, to ME Huskies are large. My mom owns a 6 lb Yorkie, so a 80 lb Husky is big.

I have been researching the breed a lot, and have read all of the things mentioned in one place or another.The shedding, prey drive, digging etc. I am looking forward to no (or little) dog smell, the independance, energy and love of outdoors that they seem to have.

The parents are both registered, and are involved in competitive sledding.

I am currently searching for a well run obediece class in my area, which I think will help a lot with the puppy training.
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

Quote Originally Posted by juxie
    Well, while not HUGE dogs, to ME Huskies are large. My mom owns a 6 lb Yorkie, so a 80 lb Husky is big.

An 80 pound husky is a poorly bred or grossly overweight husky. Within the breed standard the biggest a male should be is 60 pounds. It's also far too large to be a working dog, especially in any kind of competitive way. A breeder turning out dogs that far out of the breed standard is not a good breeder.

What kind of fence do you have? How much time can you commit to exercising the dog on a daily basis? The more miserable the weather, the more a husky will want to be out in it. How will let him truly run without disappearing? The vast majority of huskies can never ever be let off leash. They don't come back, no matter how much obedience training they've had. Come is the first command a husky forgets when he sees a chance to run.

How you will keep your mom's yorkie safe from your husky? Anything that small is a snack to the vast majority of huskies. It does not matter if they were raised together. Prey drive is instinct and it can't be trained out. Do you have other small animals? How will you protect them? I have a husky who can open the latches on gerbil and rat cages which does not end well for the small creatures. My huskies have killed a cat that they knew for over five years and given the opportunity they'd do it again without hesitation.

Obedience class will help with socialization, but don't expect a Sibe to excel in any way, shape or form at obedience. It's not their strength, they truly don't care what their owners ask them to do. Desire to please is NOT a husky trait. Desire to do whatever they want regardless of the consequences, that's a husky trait!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

A good site for information is everythinghusky.com. Lots of good articles, lots of husky people. I think Glacier hit the highlights re: breed traits. If you can deal with their stubborness, aloofness, prey drive, wanderlust, and independant nature, they make fun-loving companions. Oh - the other thing is their pack instinct - they really hate being alone. Do you have other dogs? If not, you might want to consider getting two. Another husky goes a long way towards keeping this breed happy.

I was thinking a chainlink fence was the best way to go? The higher the better, of course. My friend (he breeds Labs) said a 6 foot one would be right, and to prevent digging out he recommended a 3-4 foot strip of chicken wire fencing affixed to the bottom of the chain link fence and covered over by a layer of mud/grass. That way any digging wouldn't get very far.

As far as exercise- my neighbor has 2 dogs and we walk nearly every day. It would be nice to have a walking companion. We have a playground about 15 min walk away with a completely fenced in ballfield. It was a consideration of mine to take the dogs in there and let them run and play together.

I don't live with my mom- I'm 30 years old and have a home and family of my own. I was using her dog as a size comparison simply because it is the dog I am most familiar with. I obviously thought Huskies were heavier than they are- I have known Huskies throughout my life- not WELL, but they seemed bigger than 50-60 lbs to me. I apologize for being off on that.

I have aquariums, I assume not a lot of protection will be needed there- I have mice, but they live in aquariums in the spare bedroom upstairs that is kept locked. I do have cats, and this is my biggest worry. The dog will be downstairs only in my house- the hallway to the upstairs has a big pine door as a barrier on one end, and an archway that is ready to either have a door installed with a cat door , or a gate. It was my thought that the cats could escape to the upstairs if they felt threatened. There will be no time that the cats and dog would be alone together in the house- we plan on having a comfortable kennel set up for the dog when we are not at home, or she will be outside in the fenced area. The last thing I want is for one of my cats to get hurt- I have been told by all huskie breeders I have talked to that while they have a high prey drive, that they are fine with cats they are raised with from puppyhood.

I had actually considered two- but wouldn't it be harder to 'guard the cats' against two prey-driven dogs? Would having another canine companion make them less interested in bothering the cats? Is it impossible to have co-existance?

I'm glad you are being so frank with me about this- I would rather know all the negative points up front rather than find out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by juxie
    I was thinking a chainlink fence was the best way to go? The higher the better, of course. My friend (he breeds Labs) said a 6 foot one would be right, and to prevent digging out he recommended a 3-4 foot strip of chicken wire fencing affixed to the bottom of the chain link fence

There will be no time that the cats and dog would be alone together in the house- I have been told by all huskie breeders I have talked to that while they have a high prey drive, that they are fine with cats they are raised with from puppyhood.

I had actually considered two- but wouldn't it be harder to 'guard the cats' against two prey-driven dogs? Would having another canine companion make them less interested in bothering the cats? Is it impossible to have co-existance?
    Six feet is a good start. That will stop most huskies from jumping over. I have two who can clear six feet with ease though. Make sure nothing climbable is near the fence. I don't use chainlink, but lots of people do with no problems. My Muskwa, who is too smart for his own good, thinks chainlink is a ladder and climbs right up it! I use big game fencing instead. Most of my fence is 7 feet high with a foot buried under ground and a layer of wire about two feet out from the fence along the ground. Putting a section of chicken wire is very good idea!

I hate to say this and I'm really not trying to be rude, but all those breeders who told you huskies are fine if they are raised with cats LIED. Some huskies are fine, some are fine if supervised, some are never fine ever with anything smaller than they are.

Co-existance with cats and huskies is possible, but it's a lot of work. I have 23 dogs, all northern breeds including several purebred siberians, and eight cats. I have two dogs who can not even see a cat without their prey drive taking over. I have a few who are leashed or crated whenever they are inside. Some are allowed loose in the house, but I never leave any of them alone with the cats. Some of my dogs were raised with cats, some arrived here as adults having never seen a cat before. I can't find any pattern to their reactions to cats based on past exposure. All of my dogs would kill an outdoor cat in a second, without hesitation. An outdoor cat is no different to them than a squirrell or a mouse.

If you search in cat memorial, you will find my Dominique's story. She lived with dogs her entire life, all of my dogs had known her and in the house they were all fine together. Dominique got outside one day when no one was home. We have never figured out how she got out. The dogs killed her. They had no idea that they had killed the same cat they knew as a pack member in the house. She was just prey. They had no idea that they had done anything wrong or that they had broken my heart. Her death and it's aftermath were one of the most difficult times in my life. I woudn't wish it on anyone.

Does your cat go outside? IF it does, now would be a good time to train her to be an indoor kitty. It's easier to teach a husky that the house is the cat's territory and the yard is the dog's. Teaching a husky not to chase an outdoor cat is almost impossible.

Raising two puppies at the same time, of any breed, has a whole different set of issues. I would recommend a canine buddy eventually, but not two puppies at the same time.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I don't know much about Huskies, but it would seem to me that a chainlink fence wouldn't do much more than serve as a "ladder" for your dog. Second of all, Huskies should have a little more strenuous exercise than a daily walk. Third, there is only one breeder in Nova Scotia that advertises with Dogs in Canada. 19/20 *reputable* breeders will advertise with Dogs in Canada. The Kennel is Pushinka Reg'd. I highly recommend you contact her. A truly reputable breeder will test and/or screen for all hereditary diseases in the breed. For example, in Wheaten Terriers (since I don't know much about Husky health problems), breeders will TEST the hips, meaning having them X-Rayed and OFA or PENNHip Certified. However, since there is no sure fire test for Protein Wasting Disease, another problem in Wheatens, they would look back into the pedigrees and see if any dogs had the disease or had puppies that had the disease. Make sure that whatever breeder you choose does this for ALL their breeding dogs. Other things to look for are Spay/Neuter contracts, most good breeders will require you to sign one for a pet quality pup. Anyway, now to the breeder contact info.

Pushinka Perm Reg'd, Dorothea Zilke 1100415
    Breeders of Canada's Top Siberian Huskies. Breeders since 1978.
    604-856-7373 or 856-4321

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.pushinka.com/

Also, if you have cats, I wouldn't chance it unless you KNEW the dog would ALWAYS be supervised with them.

I agree with everyone else. While every breed shouldn't be owned by everyone, Siberian huskies are definatly one of the most difficult. I used to have one and I know several people that own/owned them.

They are one of those dogs you can't do regular "dog stuff" with. Like you can't go camping and just let it offleash, or let it out your front door and expect it to stay in the yard...As soon as it's out, it's gone, and you're lucky if you have a Sibe that actually comes when it's called (or does anything that you tell it to do). Prepare for people to say you are starving your dog -- huskies will often ignore their food for days or weeks, saving it until they really need it or until competition comes along, and even WITH food, racing lines (like the one you are getting) tend to be very slim in apperance. Even without the food they will still be very energetic, needing running exercise (and a safe place to do so!).

The breed was bred to pull sleds, which is why it has such high energy and athletic ability (they have been known to jump 10 foot fences) -- it often had to find it's own food (giving it a high prey drive and ability to fast for weeks at a time). They would easily die if they became wet (which is why most of them are terrified of water -- I've bathed dozens of them and it is NO picnic!). Show lines are usually easier to deal with -- alot of that edge has been bred out of them and replaced by looks and pet temperaments. Either way, very smart dogs. Don't let their disobedience fool you. They hate to be alone and often howl or act very destructivley when left alone. Don't expect your house to be left intact! They make terrible guard dogs. I don't know a single husky that would bark or growl or show any signs of aggression, but rather walk up to a stranger, tail wagging, or just lay there and watch the stranger steal your belongings (and probably hope the stranger left the front door open so they can escape!). And SHEDDING -- that's something else you must consider! They shed ALOT when they blow their coat. They will also roll in anything and everything that smells like fish, cat (or any other animal) poop, garbage, etc (making the bathing part even more annoying ).

I also agree about cats -- even when raised with them. I knew one husky that only loved it's own cat -- to the point where it would attack anything that went near it. Other cats she would kill in an instant. My friend's Sibe is only good with cats that are confident around dogs, but cats that act scared are food, and she was raised with cats since puppyhood.

I would think long and hard. Even if your dog turns out to be the most non-husky type Sibe in the world, be prepared! You may have a dog that digs, jumps fences, howls, runs away, can't be offleash, drags you down the street, kills cats and small animals, can't be alone, etc. They are a great breed, they just need a special home. If it weren't true, there wouldn't be so many Sibe and Sibe mixes being turned into shelters.
    I've been BOO'd!

Could I maybe make another suggestion? And PTers, please correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe a malamute would be a better choice? I've only known a few, but from the ones I've known, they are just as stubborn but more laid back than huskies. Maybe even a Samoyed or a Norweigan Elkhound, if you don't mind the coat?

I don't know you, at all, and judge your own self-but if you aren't really really experienced with a lot of dogs and their problems, I wouldn't get a husky. Can I ask why you switched from a Chessie to a husky? That's a huge switch in breed.

LOL! my, my! Reading this makes siberians sound like the Dogs of Hell! Yup, they do come with their own challenges, but on the plus side, they're quiet & clean. Dirt falls off their fur because of an oil in it They have little odor (except when they catch skunks), and aside from when they blow coat, their coat is easy to care for. They are fun-loving, a little mischevious, and are good people dogs, they like to be with you. You just have to do your homework & prepare yourself and their enviornment properly. As mentioned, go to a good breeder who certifies hips & eyes. Juvenile cataracts, retinal detachment, and hip dysplasia can be inherited and show up in this breed. I didn't know anything about them when we got our first, but we learned quickly, and I just love these sibes. It does sound like you have several things to carefully consider.

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    Could I maybe make another suggestion? And PTers, please correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe a malamute would be a better choice? .
    Malamutes are just as prey driven as a siberian, if not more so. It's one of my malamutes that can't even see a cat(or a squirrel or a bunny or a porcupine) without being taken over by prey drive. Malamutes tend to be a bit more laid back, but they are still stubborn, independant, prone to wandering, escape artists,
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    they're quiet & clean.
    LOL, I'll give you clean without any arguement, but quiet! I think my neighbors would beg to differ, even back when we only had two! We had animal control called once while trying to give Muskwa a bath and once more when he was just howling for the heck of it. Our neighbors(we lived down south then) were convinced no dog made those sounds unless it was being beaten! Fortunately, the AC officer who responded knew a bit more about huskies than our neighbor!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    LOL! my, my! Reading this makes siberians sound like the Dogs of Hell! .
    For the right person, they are remarkable, funny, lovable, loving, intelligent companions. Wonderful dogs. For another person, they may well be the dogs of hell!
    --John Irving