Thread: Melony and Hope

Melony and Hope

Hi. My rats are Melony and Hope. They are two Hooded rats. Melony is gray and Hope is black. I keep them in a 20-gallon turtle aquarium. I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways to keep them entertained? They don't like the wheel, it scares them to death. I have put things in there but they just berry them. Does anyone have any ideas? Or any web sites I can go to to look at some toys? Also I was wondering if anyone knew how to cool down their cage. It gets so hot in there that they practically fry! I feel so bad! I let them swim in the bathtub but they aren't to keen on the idea of swimming. I also sometime keep them in a small (really small) cage that is wire and it seems to cool them down. Can any one help???

Thank you, Melony, Hope and Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I would take them out of there right away! I would get them a wire cage, something that doesn't hold the heat so much.

Try toilet tubes, toys etc. Invent somethings of your own too, something you know they would like.

They are only in their cage at night. Cause I feel so awful during the day. They mostly are in the bathtub or in there little cage with me. I plan on buying an air conditioner SOON for my room so its not so hot!

yes, get a bigger wire cage. or if you can't afford it, try putting them in a cool room with a fan. might work, i don't know cuz i'm not a rat owner. but i do have common sense. ~meg~

Yes I know. I am hopefully going to buy them a wire one. I am afraid that if I put them out in the living room (where the air conditioner is) one of our 5 cats or one of our 2 dogs will eat them. 2 of our cats Buddy and Hoss have killed 4 birds this year 2 birds last year, 4 moles this year, to many to count last year and a squirrel. I actually have a baby bird in my room that our cat Buddy brought us as a "gift". Luckily it has no puncture wounds and we are hoping to be able to set it free in 3 to 4 days. Also, they have gotten into the cage once and I'm sure they will do it again. So I think it would be better for them to be hot during the night and out with my during the day rather then them being out here and taking the risk of being cat or dog food. I love them to much to put them in danger and I love to spend the day with them. So until we can get them a cooler cage or someone thinks of something to do, I will keep on this routine but it would be nice to have a cooler cage for them. Please keep the suggestion coming.

Thank you, Ashley, Melony, and Hope
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 06-24-2002 at 02:54 AM.