Thread: Paw Injury

Paw Injury--AGAIN!!

My roommate took Duncan yesterday to her camp to go swimming and play. I had to work both my jobs so I was thrilled that she was able to take him as I couldn't stand the thought of him being alone all day and night stuck inside the house while it was sunny and warm outside....
    The river where her camp is is infested with zebra mussels. If you're not familiar with these creatures, they are little clam-like animals with razor sharp edges. There can be hundreds of them covering one cinder-block sized rock. Her father built a ramp for the dogs to get in and out of the water without having to step on the zebra mussels as both Jack and Duncan had cuts on the pads of their feet last summer. I came home from work last night and Kate had brought Duncan home and gone back to camp with Jack. Duncan was acting a little strange last night, breathing heavy but not panting and he seemed uncomfortable? I sat up with him until he fell asleep and seemed to be sleeping soundly. This am I got up to take him out and he was limping.... I looked at his back paw and there is a cut between the two largest pads. It doesn't look deep or even like that serious of a cut, more like a scrape but it seems to be bothering him more than a cut of that size should....Could it be the location of the cut that is so difficult? Or maybe it cut the webbing between his toes? I couldn't get a really good look at... I put some triple antibiotic on it. I didn't see any blood in the house or when he walked. He was licking it so much.
    Duncan is a trooper. I have seen him with larger nicks and scrapes and cuts and I have never seen him limp....And he was just overall acting strange.....
    I'm sure he's fine. I'm just a huge worrywart!! Especially when he was out of my sight for a whole day...And then I watch Emergency Vets and see all those dogs who have to have major surgery on their pads.....YIKES!!
    He's at home today with both tvs on and the fans blowing on him....I hope when I get home he'll be cheery and back to normal!!
    Last edited by jennifert; 06-24-2002 at 01:00 PM.

Poor Duncan! I know what you mean about those clams! Ouch!

I hope it heals fast and I'm sure you know to keep an eye on it to reduce the threat of infection.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Poor Duncan!! It may be the location of the cut that is making him limp. It's in a very delicate location. You know how much a paper cut can hurt even though they aren't usually bad. It probably feels like a paper cut between your toes. Give sweet Duncan a hug from me.

Oh Duncan.... My girl Star has cut her paw pad on broken sea clam shells...ouch! I agree. It's probably the location that's making it especially ouchy. Keeping it clean, treating it with some antibiotic oint. and trying to keep it dry should do the trick. If Duncan is like my girl, getting him to stay off it for a while is....NOT!! Please give him a big get well soon hug from Star, Cody and me!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Rocky and Sheba here wishing
    Duncan's paw to feel better soon.
    slurpy kisses from Sheba.

----<---<--<{(@

The paw is probably fine and will heal. I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and keep up the use of peroxide and ointment to ensure cleanliness. I speak from the recent experience of our black lab's (Bogey) osteomyelitis (bone infection). He was on antibiotics for 5 weeks and multiple x-rays to monitor progress. There was a possibility that the 'outer toe' would need amputation - but I hung in there despite the cost. We will probably never know what caused the infection, but suspect that he received an in and out puncture wound which we could never see. Anytime he limps, I am worried. I think we are doing great now - just need to figure out how to keep a 5 year old lab more calm - he LOVES to play! Sending our best wishes, Cheryl, Bogey and Fairway!
    CP

Welcome Cheryl and gang! Thanks for the input - Jennifert won't be back on the message board till Monday I think.

Poor Duncan, I hope he is feeling just peachy by Monday! Lots of oooo's & xxxx's! Anna, Angus & Roxey

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Well, it seems that I have a habit of speaking too soon!!!! This Sunday, I took Duncan and Jack for their morning walk at the park. When I arrived home, I noticed that someone was bleeding and of course that someone was Duncan!!
    He had sliced his front pad right down the middle. At first glance it didn't look too bad. The bleeding stopped almost right after I put pressure on it. He was walking fine on it. I soaked it in epsom salts and put some antibiotic ointment on it. However, when I came home from work he was limping. I took him to the vet this am. I had to leave him there all day because this terrible place I work at would not give me a few hours off to take him to the vet.
    I started crying as soon as we pulled up because I felt terrible about leaving him. I thought to myself: "These people must think I'm nuts! I'm not leaving him forever, just for the day. And it's air conditioned in there and it's not at home. And I would be at work all day anyway...." But it didn't matter....When she took him in back and he tried to come back to me on those slippery linoleum floors, I lost it....
    BUT, then I thought, in the car, "Oh, I can't wait to get to work and get on Pet Talk. They'll understand..."

He's just so sweet and loving and I just adore him more than anything in the world. I think I need to start dating or get a hobby!! LOL!! I'm addicted to my dog!! HELP!!!!!

Anyway, the vet called, no stitches are necessary. She said to keep it clean, start him on antibiotics and he should be fine in about a week...No more long walks for now though....
    Looks like he and I will be cuddling and napping alot!!

Poor Duncan!

I hope he feels better real quick! Give him lots of love and kisses to speed up his recovery.

Doggie Teva's

You ought to rig some sort of sandle for Ducan. Can't you get him some Teva's for babies and velcro them on to his four paws? Sounds silly, but they do sell protective footwear, I just don't know HOW protective it really is. My memory recalls the footwear for cold weather, not razor sharp stones.

Keep us posted.

Get a grip on yourself girl, the doggie will be fine at the Vets. A/C is a real treat for some of us!

I know how difficult it can be when you think your pet is hurting. I am the person who spent $288 over a weekend for a visit to the emergency vet for Graemer, only to figure out he was probably stung by a hornet. You just can't be TOO careful with our furry friends!

Well, I'm glad it was nothing really bad, just snuggle and give him lots of hugs and kisses from us!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Poor Duncan! Those paws are really getten beat up! Glad he is going to be okay - and he may even have enjoyed the change of pace this afternoon.