Thread: When do kittens' eyes change colour?

When do kittens' eyes change colour?

My friend asked me this lately, and I realised I didn't know. Only my Inka arrived young enough to show me her blue eyes. But I've forgotten how it took before they changed to their definite colour... . Can somebody please tell me??

Inka with blue eyes and then much later.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I havent noticed my Cats eyes changing color but I think that they do deepen in color as they mature.
    I think it would be at a yera old that their eye color becomes finalized.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Here's why with human babies....

When a baby is first born, the eye still has not fully developed a dark pigment known as melanin that helps “color” eyes and skin. Blue or gray eyes (which many Caucasian babies have at birth) in a newborn mean that melanin is virtually absent within the eye’s colored portion (iris).

When your baby is about six months old, you’ll have a better idea of eye color as pigmentation begins to form and brown or darker eyes might appear. The baby’s eye color should be determined by about age one, although some individuals may experience eye color changes through adulthood.

People of Asian, African-American, Hispanic, or native American descent often have babies who are brown-eyed at birth because of darker pigmentation (melanin).

Im not positive... but it seems I remember having kittens in the past and by 8-10wks you start seeing them change, just a little. I think by 3-4 months they change over. Of course they continue to change a little after that, but you know in general what color they have. Inka has beautiful eyes!! I love that pretty color.
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Here's why with human babies....

When a baby is first born, the eye still has not fully developed a dark pigment known as melanin that helps “color” eyes and skin. Blue or gray eyes (which many Caucasian babies have at birth) in a newborn mean that melanin is virtually absent within the eye’s colored portion (iris).

When your baby is about six months old, you’ll have a better idea of eye color as pigmentation begins to form and brown or darker eyes might appear. The baby’s eye color should be determined by about age one, although some individuals may experience eye color changes through adulthood.

People of Asian, African-American, Hispanic, or native American descent often have babies who are brown-eyed at birth because of darker pigmentation (melanin).
    My husband has the most pretty baby blue eyes, up until he was 3. Then they changed, they are a dark green now. My eyes have slowly changed over YEARS, I started noticing it in my teens, and now my eyes are green at 25yrs old... strange. Same with my kids, two of them eyes have changed slowly and now at 6yrs old they have light green eyes. I guess this is somewhat common with green eyes.
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

OH NO i dont want my babies eyes to change I love his blue eyes? do you think they will change to a darker color as he gets older? I have dark brown eyes and his dad has darker blue eyes? but when he was born he has always had baby blue eyes and he is now 3. Sorry its not about kittens, it just made me think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0173.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	637.2 KB 
ID:	33187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0211.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	33188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0316.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	33189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1013.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	33190  

Angelbow, don't worry, your adorable son will keep his gorgeous baby blues.
    My son has the same colored eyes as your son since he was young and he is 24 now and still turns the girls head with his baby blues.

Lute, kittens eyes usually start to change color around 7 weeks old.
    Peapods eyes were blue just like Inka's and now his are like a golden yellow with green around the pupil, just like Willy's.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rg_girlca
    Angelbow, don't worry, your adorable son will keep his gorgeous baby blues.
    My son has the same colored eyes as your son since he was young and he is 24 now and still turns the girls head with his baby blues.

Lute, kittens eyes usually start to change color around 7 weeks old.
    Peapods eyes were blue just like Inka's and now his are like a golden yellow with green around the pupil, just like Willy's.
    well thats awsome to hear!!! I was afraid his eyes would not stay so bright anymore..... yeah whenever we have or had kittens they changed between 7 and 10 weeks in age. sometimes it takes longer but not always. cats eyes are soo amazing looking, we had a cat that had bright teal eyes they were the coolest eyes ever!!!