Thread: Hi from Lagos

Hi from Lagos

Haven't had internet access for over a week (going through withdrawal!!)

Thought I'd drop in and tell you a little about our adventures in lagos so far....

Lagos isn't too bad at all. Our apartment is quite nice - it's around 200 square meters, and the lounge / dining room has a balcony with sliding doors which runs the length of the room, so it is lovely and bright during the day. No photos of the flat yet, as I am still busy tryingto get everything sorted – I am trying not to stress too much about it, and will hopefully get everything sorted properly this weekend when Warren and Cam are at home to help me. As long as I don't compare it to the house in Bahrain, it's more than adequate. The compound itself is not too bad – everything is very clean, and there is a bar and BBQ area with seating which can be used for entertaining, plus little thatched umbrellas / shelters with loungers around the pool. I have seen some disturbingly large brightly coloured lizards, but so far they seem more scared of me than I am of them – as long as they keep running in the opposite direction to me, I'll be fine!!

The traffic is just a sight to behold. It is absolute chaos, but despite this, seems to flow very well, as everyone is driving just as badly as the next guy! There are hawkers and beggers everywhere – even on the line markings between the lanes on the highway! It's not unusual to see mini-buses without doors, and pick-ups loaded to about 3 or 4 times their height with precariously balanced loads. Warren says they often just topple over – and looking at them is it easy to see why! The funniest thing is the "Okadas" – these are motorbikes (like the pizza delivery bikes we have there), but the locals use them as taxis, as they can squeeze through the traffic, and also often use the pavement as an extra lane! No-one wears helmets, and it's not unusual to see up to 3 people on one – all with luggage ranging from laptop bags and handbags to live chickens!!! Smartly dressed women in high heels, and men in business suits with briefcases sitting on the back, and looking SO relaxed whilst the driver goes in and out of traffic like a kamikaze pilot!

Will post some photos when I have a chance to get online again. Just wanted to drop by and let you all know that we arrived safely, and that Cali has settled in very well - back into her routine - nothing seems to bother her!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

So glad to hear that you have all got there in one piece. We will be looking forward to the next report!

Good to hear from you!

Glad you have arrived, Julie, and we'll look forward to pictures and more stories of your adventures in Lagos!

Wow! Sounds like a totally different place, huh? I really hope you all like it there and settle in nicely.

**hugs**

Julie, so glad to hear that you are adjusting and setteling in well. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Happy to hear from you again, Julie!! I hope you get internet asap, because I cannot wait to see new pics of little Cali
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh, so good to hear from you! And it's good to hear things are going well, too.

Oooh, lizard photos? And of course Cali, world traveler pictures!
    I've Been Frosted