Thread: Trouble

Unhappy Trouble

We have a puppy name Max and he can get on my dad's last nerve!
    Today Max chew threw the new carpet that we just got.
    My dad is tire of Max's behavor and now is try to give him away!
    My mom is trying help to defend Max, but its not working!
    Max done many other things and my dad dose not teach him, he BEATS poor
    Max!!!!!!!!!!
    Someone please help me on wat i should do!
    Horse Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could keep Max locked up in the back yard or in a room. You should try and train him more. If he does something bad, just say "NO" sternly, but don't yell at him this may make him more nervous. He may try to chew something up again.
    Good Luck!!!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Cool Max

Well we should not put him in a room cause then he will chew up more things!
    Horse Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer
    Well we should not put him in a room cause then he will chew up more things!

Maybe you could keep him a a big dog cage when he starts to become bad. Like I said before:
    Try and train him to not do those bad things anymore.

Good Luck!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Dreamer,

I'm not sure how old you are, but I've had many kids take their dogs through my obedience classes. They've done very well with them, too. Maybe if you talked to your dad about taking responsibility for training the dog, your dad would agree to let you take Max to an obedience class before getting rid of him. A trainer could help you with all of Max's problems, and a trainer could also help your dad learn better ways of working with Max. It's worth a try. Act as grown up as possible when you talk to your dad about obedience class. He may see that it would be good for you to take responsibilty of the dogs training, and give it a shot.

If you go to obedience school with Max, you'll have to be serious about training Max every day. If you do exactly what your trainer tells you, you should see Max's behavior begin to improve. Just make sure to train every day, and follow your trainer's advice exactly. And, have fun, too!
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

I think the obedience school would be the answer too. But frankly, I'm very concerned about the fact that your dad "beats" the dog. I would not allow a dog to be in a home where he is is beaten because he chews or has accidents. If people cannot learn to be tolerant of a dog and his misbehaving at times, they should not have the dog. Period. Dogs do not learn from being hit, they only develope behavioral problems. Hitting does not teach them to be good dogs. I don't like the idea of any dog being beaten for punishment and I honestly think you may want to consider finding another home for this dog if you don't get him some training ASAP.

On another note, please remember that putting a dog in a crate for punishment is not good. Crates are supposed to be their home, their "safety zone" and a place of comfort for when you are not home. It should not be used for punishment. It gives the dog the wrong idea of what it's for and if he's in it one time for being bad, he won't want to go in it when you're leaving the house. He will feel he's done something wrong and he hasn't.

[QUOTE=Dreamer]Max done many other things and my dad dose not teach him, he BEATS poor
    Max!!!!!!!!!!
    QUOTE]

Take your dad to dog training classes
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

most chewing is done because of boredome, lack of exercise. Puppies need at least an hour and 1/2 of exercise a day. If your dad beats the dog, that's the problem, and not Max.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Speaking of chewing...!! My well behaved dog Buddy chewed up an old pair of my pants, and a shoe lace overnight! I was stunned. He has NEVER done anything like this in 7 years. He is about 9 now and has always been so well behaved. I thought maybe he was a little nervous because the wind was howling and he might have thought it was some kind of intruder. I could hardly get mad at him since he has always been so good.

I am fearful now that maybe he is getting some kind of doggy Alzheimers disease. Hopefully not but I guess these things happen. Maybe this was just a one time thing. If it happens again I will have to ask the veterinarian. Anyone else have dogs with a major change in behavior as they near senior citizen status?

For now he will have to sleep in the hall at night, and I will make sure no clothing or anything else important is within the range of his teeth.

I know somebody who's growing pup learned to chew on purpose just to get attention because she realised that whenever she went to chew the table, they would react. Like children, dogs don't care whether the attention they get is good or bad.

You have to be careful to not advertantly teach her to chew in order to get your attention.

I agree that training classes would be great for you and your pup. You'll both benefit immensely from it and I hope your dad does agree to it but make sure you find a good place because some trainers are so clueless and cruel, they shouldn't be trainers. Ask your vet if they have any recommendations.

Another thing that people don't realise is that growing pups go through a second teething process at about 6 months or a bit later where the adult teeth are settling into the jawline and this can cause chewing as well. It generally settles down as the dog gets older.
    The lad I know who's pup I mentioned above is now much better.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

My Sherry started chewing the rug at 13. One thought was that she was bored (which she was). They start getting destructive when they're bored, plus she had severe separation anxiety. Chewing can also be anxiety. But when she started doing it right in front of me (obviously not anxious - I was home), among other symptoms, we figured she had CCD (Canine Cognitive Disfunction). This is the equivalent to Alzheimers or Dementia. Our conclusion of CCD was due to her age, among other symptoms, and the behaviorist agreed. But anxiety and boredom are many times the reason. Maybe if you buy a kong and put some treats or peanut butter in it (for the boredom). If you think it's anxiety, let me know. That's a whole other ballgame. I could write a book on it.

By the way - my previous reply was for Best Buddy!