Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guinea pigs, pictures on page 2 1-18-07

Thanks guys for all the helpful information. I do understand that they need there cages cleaned often and that they need a really good diet. When we do get a guinea pig or two we will post pictures, it could still be a month or so. We are looking at resues first. We are very devoted to our animals, Lou Lou is proof of that, she is so high maintance and has cost us alot of money, but she is well worth it. My daughter will be really good with any animals but she will still be supervised with a guinea pig. I will check out all the sites that everyone suggested. I really appecitate all the help.

We are getting two pigs. One female and one male, the male will get fixed. They are litter mates. The people bought a female from the store and didn't know she was pregant, so these two are her babies. We are getting them in a couple days, we have to finish getting their cage ready and stock up guinea pig supplies. Anyone know a good book to get for reference about their diet? They will go to the vet right away to get a check up and make sure the male is ready to get fixed. Brittney(my daughter was awesome hanging onto them, we spent an hour with them tonight. They have been handled alot and they talk alot, so cute. I will post some pictures of them as soon as I can. Thanks for everyones help!

Here is a picture of the babies and my daughter. We haven't decided on their names yet. My daughter wants to maybe name the female Princess but don't have any ideas yet for the male. The female is the tri-colored one and the male is the mostly white one. I will get better pictures when we have them home with us and I will most pictures of their cage when we are done making it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0660.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1,003.3 KB 
ID:	33217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0659.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	33218  

Aww! Really cute! =D
    Your daughter looks so happy... congratulations to all of you!

We brought them home last night.

They are so cute and make the cutest noises. They love there cage, mostly their bed. They go nuts when they know we are putting veggies in the cage. The cats were sticking thier paws in the cage and swatting at them, they don't have front claws. So the water bottle had to come out to spay the. Winchester could care less, but Lou Lou whines alot when we talk to them, It will be a longer time, if at all that she meets them My daughter names the Princess and Skittles. Here are a few picture of them during play time and after resting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0670.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	33262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0685.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	823.2 KB 
ID:	33263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0681.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	33264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0693.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	33265  

Awwww....such cute little piggies!!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I'm glad your daughter likes them. They're adorable! Princess and Skittles, eh? Good names. Mine are Pepsi and Buddy[so original, I know] Pepsi had to get neutered, but it didn't seem to bug him a bit. My guinea pigs are 4 goingon 5 years old.Guinea pigs live 4-6 years, but can live to be older than 8 if well taken care of. I hope you and your family enjoy the piggies!
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

They are very cute! Please make sure when they get vet checked to check for pregnancy as females can get pregnant as early as 3 weeks old. It is very important to seperate the sexes at about 2 weeks old to halt littermates from breeding with each other or the mom!

Good luck and many happy years to your daughter with her new pets!
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    They are very cute! Please make sure when they get vet checked to check for pregnancy as females can get pregnant as early as 3 weeks old. It is very important to seperate the sexes at about 2 weeks old to halt littermates from breeding with each other or the mom!

Good luck and many happy years to your daughter with her new pets!
    They go to the vet on Saturday. I thought it was 21 days that you had to seperate them?? The male will get fixed. Maybe I will call and change their appointment for tonight instead if they have openings. Thanks for the information.

Things sure have changed some since I owned guinea pigs. I had 3 over a 10 yr period.

Piggy & Cinnamon lived for 3-3 1/2 yrs
    Sam lived to be 7 yrs with arthritis and cataracts

Back then no one would neuter them, they said the anesthetic risk was too high for piggies.

I kept mine in the biggest rodent cage they had at the time. However now-a-days they have so much nicer ones. There was also a very limited amount of toys for them, so I had to get creative on my own.

My pigs were never gotten as a set, Piggy was the first and seemed to do fine by himself with alot of human contact. and after he died I got Sam, then inherited Cinnamon shortly after. I couldn't put Sam & Cinnamon together because they'd fight, however I did have their cages side by side, and Sam mourned for Cinnamon for a month after he died.

I kinda miss my piggies, however with the cats, and the fact I'm actually allergic to piggies, I can't have them. One thing I don't miss is the itchy eyes and taking Benadryl twice a day. lol But I did love my piggies while I had them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Your piggies are adorable! Congrats! Your daughter is a cutie and she looks very happy!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla