Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many pets?

Too many pets?

So as not to hijack the new puppy thread I'll put this one here. When does it reach a point when one should realize that they have two many pets? For many there is a thin line between hoarding and being a responsible pet owner.

From my own experience 5 was my limit in order to leave room for the occasional rescue, foster or dogsitting. Beyond that point I didn't feel that I could provide enough quality time for each individual dog.

We live in the heart of the city with just a normal sized backyard. Here's an example of what my daily routine used to be like and why any more dogs would have been too many.

Most of my mornings from daylight until about noon were spent at the park in socialization, training, exercise, field preparation and playtime. Each dog got at least 30 minutes of individual training plus playtime.

The evenings were usually spent in a less active manner, including more obedience training and play times. The rest of the day when I wasn't working the dogs were in and out as they wished while I was doing usual housework and dog/owner stuff! As secretary of the local breed club for almost 20 years there was a lot of contact and paperwork that had to be taken care of too.

Weekends were usually spent in the field or in competition events. As well as being much loved pets; the dogs were also my job, even though instead of earning money, it cost me money!

You've heard of people who love their jobs so much they'd be willing to pay just to have the job? That's me!

I forgot to mention feeding times. In the mornings (time depending on the time of year)while the dogs were outside going potty, their food was prepared. When they came in they would eat while I had my coffee. Then we'd all go outside and they'd keep me company and play while I cleaned the yard.

They were fed again in the evenings usually before we ate our dinner. After dinner they went out and played again while I cleaned the yard before beginning the evening activities. (As we all know, In a multi dog household, the yard must be cleaned a minimum of 4 times a day.)

Even with only 5 dogs I always felt guilty that they weren't getting enough attention. None of them ever complained though!
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I am sorry- but there is always room for one more.. lol..

I am not sure what my limit would be??? I have alot of critters, just different kinds.

The dogs i would have to say 2 is my limit, i dont think i would ever go above that.
    Cats, I like having 1 but could see having a couple more
    My turtles, 2 is a perfect number
    Fish, i like the 8 i have, but could definitely get a few more
    Chickens, can never have too many of them! am definitely adding more this spring
    Ducks, i like the 6 i have, but could add a few more.

Most Hoarders have a problem, they go above and beyond, even sacrificing their home, health and well being, because they think they are doing good, but in reality, doing more harm.
    A responsible pet owner, knows when they have enough, and can no longer afford any more. They will not saccrifice their animals health, by trying to save Just one more. JMO
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

5-6 is my limit of all pets together inclueing fish.I have 2 cats and 4 betta fish as of now.I would love to have a rabbit or bird again someday.But 5-6 is all I can have without getting in over my head.
    Last edited by Zippy; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

We have four dogs - this is my limit.

Granted, if a dog showed up on my doorstep and we could not find it's home, I would make it a part of our's. However, I am not going to go out looking for another.

I'm not sure if you're referring to anyone here when you mention hoarder, but I don't think I've seen anyone here that would fall under that catagory.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

We have 3 dogs, plus I dogsit for my neighbor during the day. I would love a houseful, but I think to do my dogs justice I'd have to say 3 is all I have the energy for.

For myself I believe I can only handle 3. But in my situation now, I don't see a problem with bringing in more dogs as we have plenty of people in the family/house who can help.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I can handle up to 12 dogs at a time (did this a couple times dog sitting), but don't think I could live with that many or care for that many on a daily basis. I think 4 of my own would be my absolute limit, but I prefer two of my own at a time and after two dogs, I probably wouldn't go out looking for another - but I don't mind three.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I'm not sure if you're referring to anyone here when you mention hoarder, but I don't think I've seen anyone here that would fall under that catagory.
    Why on earth would you suggest that? It's not too likely that a hoarder would be posting in a pet related forum and deliberatly exposing themselves to topics relating to responsible pet ownership.

We all have our own lifestyles which may or may not leave time and financial resources to have as many animals as we'd like to have. It seemed like it could be an interesting and even fun topic. After all, knowing and understanding how many animals one can comfortably care for at one time is the key to being a responsible pet owner.

For dogs, I know four is our limit. =] I'd much rather keep the number at 2-3, though.

Overall limit, I know we could handle more, but I really don't want to go past having 3 cats at a time. And we have plenty time, room, and money for our birds, fish, & rodents. Basically, I know when we've reached our limit, and we're not at it yet. Nor are we going to go out seeking many new family members, either.

We have 5 pets- 3 dogs and 2 cats, which feels like the limit for our space/resources. We live in a smallish house, but we do have a nice big fenced in yard. If we had a bigger house I would consider getting a 3rd cat but I think 3 dogs is plenty for me.

I will never have more than 2 at a time. Mickey really is a only-dog home dog. He likes to be the center of attention and feels very left out with other dogs here.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I think the answer will vary from person to person with some of the factors including:
    - financial resources, keeping in mind that as the animal ages, the expenses "could" go up.
    - emotional resources
    - size of property
    - time available (working one job, working and going to school, working from home)
    - local laws.

My city limits you to 3 dogs. Beyond that, you have to get a kennel license and have certain kennel facilities. Some surrounding cities don't have that limit. We have no limit for cats, in this city. Two cities over, they did put in a limit for cats.

My personal limit, I think I am just about there. I intended to stop at 6 cats and then tried fostering. Discovered that is not a talent / skill I am capable of handling. If the animal steps into my home, I am going to love it and keep it, ha ha ha. So I kept Ebony - and love her to pieces! - but I know I can't take on more.

I got a bit of a wake up call 2 weeks ago, shortly after Sugar arrived. Sugar was taking antihistamines twice per day; having eye drops three times per day in both eyes and eye gel twice per day in one eye; Vita developed a URI and needed ears drops twice per day and antibiotics twice per day; Ruffles developed hyperactive thyroid and needed extra feedings and a pill each morning, and monitoring to see if the dose was working. (I had all 3 to the vet in 48 hours, whew!) AND, in case you aren't familiar, I am taking care of my 80 year old Dad who thinks he is still 40; he takes 11 pills per day and 4 insulin shots per day, and a B12 shot once per week. I felt like I had a pharmacy going, half the kitchen table was covered! And I worried about giving someone the wrong meds. All that, I was feeling fine; no cold, flu, no sore muscles from overdoing it, etc. So I need to keep all this in mind when I look at another homeless one. Can I really do it justice?

Just my thoughts on this topic!
    Sandra

And like I said, I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that or not. You mentioned it a few times in the other thread, too. I didn't say you were.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

No I wasn't suggesting anything. I agree with what crittercrazy said in an earlier post:

Most Hoarders have a problem, they go above and beyond, even sacrificing their home, health and well being, because they think they are doing good, but in reality, doing more harm. A responsible pet owner, knows when they have enough, and can no longer afford any more. They will not saccrifice their animals health, by trying to save Just one more. JMO
    Also the majority of hoarders aren't even able to comprehend the depths of the harm they're doing. They are absolutely convinced that no one can possibly take care of the animals as well as they do; even as those same animals are dying around them.

Animal hoarding is now recognized as a form of mental illness.