Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat excessively drinking water.. seems lethargic

Cat excessively drinking water.. seems lethargic

11 Year old female american shorthair, vaccinated while young (not sure against what)

For the last few days she's been acting lethargic, moving slowly, drinking excessively and eating strange foods (Salty stuff, mostly) and she has lost weight.
    My mother and I plan on taking her to the vet this weekend, we think its feline diabetes, but of course we cannot be sure until then. Is there anything I can do until then?

Please help

thank you

You really should get her into the vet now...it sounds like diabetes, but it could be that along with other issues..and I cant imagine she feels well at all...The sooner you get her looked at the sooner she can hopefully start getting treatment.

Cats don't show they are sick, for the most part, until they are very, very sick. I don't think there is a member of this board who would wait until the weekend to take in a cat with these symptoms. If it is diabetes, she could crash suddenly. If it's renal failure, the sooner she is put on treatment, the greater the likelihood that you will have years more with her. I believe she is eating salty things because the large intake of water, and peeing it out, has thrown out her electrolytes and she is trying to balance the losses.

You say she had some kind of vaccincation when young. Has she not had to see a vet since then?

Well said above.... Get the cat to the vet ASAP!!! The weekend may be way too late for the poor thing!

I agree that cats dont show illness until its pretty severe. They hide it so well, the weekend is just to far away if she is that ill.
    Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

Definitely get her to the vet right away to minimize permanent damage to her kidneys or whatever's not working in there!

Love, Columbine

I agree with the above posts, so please get her to a vet as soon as you can! At least call one and tell about the symptoms. It's true, cats don't show sign off illness until it's very bad.

Sending positive thoughts.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Don't wait, too long to the weekend. Get to the vet, get some tests, and then the treatment can start. Some treatments take 2 to 5 days to kick in, depending on what this is. It sounds like diabetes but it could also be over active thyroid. Or a few other things, or a couple mixed together. The cat is ill and not feeling well.

No, she hasn't been to the vet since then.. I do not know what she was vaccinated with. She's up and moving around, she seems more affectionate and active than usual this morning... she still looks skinny and is drinking alot. Will get her to the vet ASAP

Welcome aboard!!!
    Has not your cat been vaccinated since she was young? I have to agree with the above posts. Your cat could be seriously ill, with either diabetes ot kidney disease. Hopefully wyou will get her to the vet ASAP! Please keep us posted....
    Nine is Fine!!

They were brought to the vet when they were about.. 3 or 4 (Her and her sister) I don't know what for.

We're taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Oh good, do let us know what the vet says, and I hope your kitty will be okay!
    I've Been Frosted

We brought her to the vet earlier today, she said it is not diabetes. It could be renal failure, but we have to wait on the blood analysis to be sure. The vet found high amounts of bacteria in her urine, indicating a possible urinary tract infection- she gave (sold) us some antibiotics which the cat hates.. she also seems more active than she was 2 days ago.

Wow! Let's hope it is a UTI, those can be treated although it is a challenge sometimes.

Let us know the blood work results!

Hopefully that's all it is, a UTI. Make sure she takes the meds though... mix it in with canned food if you can if it's a pill and can be crushed if she's hard to pill.

Let us know what the blood tests say. Hopefully it's not kidney failure. Poor thing! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.