Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petstores selling puppies!!!!

Petstores selling puppies!!!!

Today my mother and I went out to shop for my newest addition a Bearded dragon (Just getting her tank ready before I bring her home).. We went to a local Petstore (that doesn't sell puppies/kittens), there I saw a girl holding what looked to be a Shihtzu Chihuahua mix puppy (barely 5 weeks old I bet).. We left and went to another (larger) petstore across the highway, of course I went straight to the back of the store to see what kind of puppies/kittens they had for sale..

Low and behold there they were.. Three small shihtzu/Chihuahua pups for sale ($800.00) to boot (Looked exactly like that girls puppy across the street)... I couldn't beileve it..IGNORANCE!!! Why would somone pay $800.00 for a mut that was much to young to have even left its mother???

In the same pen was also 2 TerripooX puppies for $699.00 each.. Then in the pen next to them were two bordercollie/aussies for $500.00 GRRRRR

It's one thing to see these puppies in a petstore, stuck behind glass, with PINE bedding, let alone knowing people actually support this crap..

(Sorry just had to vent)
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

The sad part is that many of these puppies are sick as well!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    The sad part is that many of these puppies are sick as well!
    oh yes I can just see it now (Same girl I was talking about in the post above) Will probably end up spending more in vet bills just treating that "puppymill" puppy for various infections/parvo/kennel cough etc etc, then she would of IF she bought her puppy at a shelter or through a reputable breeder..... Such a waist for that poor puppy...

So, do these pet stores buy these puppies from mills, or how does that work?
    All pet stores should ban the selling of puppies and kittens and just hold adoptions. But how can we stop the madness!?!?!?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My husband and I went into a pet store here where we are about 3 or 4 months ago, and they had puppies in there that you could tell some of them were so sick, this one husky had yellow junk coming out of his nose, couple of the other ones had diarrea, i was so ticked off, I asked to speak to the manager and i reamed her up one side and down another, I think i embarrassed my husband a little..lol but that was just uncalled for, those poor babies, bad enough they are stuck behind that glass but to be sick like that and them not doing anything about it. The manager just kept trying to tell me to calm down and that they were being treated by a vet, I told her she was probably lying and that i was going to have the local police dept check her business out, I called them about it, I never could find out what happened though, and we have not been back.

Most people do not have a CLUE about the puppy mill behind the scenes events which get the pups into the pet stores.

When Sugar flew in, there were 4 other dogs on the same flight. All puppies, all from puppy mill states, all Christmas presents. I had been speaking with some of the folks while we were all waiting for the flight to land and unload. (I made sure the kids weren't near by). One young man got so upset he said I had spoiled the dog for him and his girlfriend. Well, that wasn't what I was trying to do. I told him "you got the dog now, take good care of it, love it, and make sure others know."

I think it needs to be publicized more; not too likely to happen, commerce makes the world go around, at least in this country.

Some of the pet stores in our area only have adoptions. Sometimes they are kept at the pet store (all from shelters), or they have shelter/foster people bring some in on weekends.

Although I do have to wonder about some of the shelter/foster people sometimes. There have been a few times (fortunately not very many) that they have brought in sick animals or animals in very very poor condition. I've asked about them and one foster momma was saying how she was keeping 3 cats in her bathroom because she ran out of room in the rest of the house, and all the animals she took in were special needs. Another brought in several cats which all looked horrible with mangled matted fur, snotty noses, and third eyelids showing. Neither person had any vaccination/vet papers with them, however insisted the animals were all current on their 'shots' but couldn't tell me by name which 'shots'.

I don't know that in either case bringing the animals to a stressful environment (with dogs barking, lots of strangers and travel) was the best thing for the cats in their conditions. I applaud the efforts of people trying to rescue/foster animals, however it sort of makes you wonder if some of them aren't animal hoarders.

As for mutts (aka designer breeds) we had a client come in a couple years ago proud to show off her new 'pedigree' puppy which came with 'papers and everything'. Like many clients she gave us the whole folder that she recieved upon purchase (all we need is the vaccination records). While we looked through the ton of papers trying to find info for vaccinations we found her 'papers' which were nothing more than a bill of sale/contract. She'd paid $400 at a pet store (50 miles away from her home) for her 'pedigreed' with 'papers' terrier MIX!

Honestly in situations like that (which happen far too often) if people were more informed about what a pedigree actually is they'd be less likely to be buying these mixes from pet stores, thus at least, reducing the demand from puppy mills.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

A lady in Marla's puppy class got a pup from the same place ---- she bought it as a lhasa apso -- doesn't even look like one. Has a scissors bite, long nose, wiry wheat-coloured hair...Was very shy and timid of everything. Any noise, any person, any dog. Had a terrible temperament. And wasn't healthy at that. The lady was very dissapointed, admitted that she knew she took a risk -- she knew pet store puppies came from puppy mills -- but the puppy was just too cute to resist. She's paying for it now.

So, do these pet stores buy these puppies from mills, or how does that work?
    It is my opinion that anyone who sells puppies to a pet store or broker is a puppy mill. I don't care how good your practices are, if you are selling your puppies to a pet shop, you are supplying -- suppliers are mills. I would NEVER give my puppies to a pet store EVER. And the staff there have offered to sell them for Marla on several occasions when Marla had a couple puppies leftover without homes. Marla said no every time and wound up giving the puppies to good homes -- better giving them away to good homes than selling them to a place who will place them in God only knows what conditions.
    I've been BOO'd!

I do NOT support pet stores that sell puppies or "kittens", period. I do not purchase supplies, animals, etc. from that store. The only pet stores in this area that actually sell puppies, is Creature Castle, which there are two of them nearby-I simply don't support them. They "take in" unwanted kittens, too, and sell them. They actually take any animal as long as they can turn around and profit. Read-sick animals too, birds, reptiles, and rodents. They have a "discount" room with lower priced animals that have been there forever...well, I walked in there and there was a dead hamster and two dead mice. Um, yes, discount-on a dead animal! I would rather buy fish from walmart than from there too. Anyways, sorry for the mini-rant, but I don't support it whatsoever.

I echo the above statements.

It's just... atrocious. I went into Critter Company, a pet store, (for the first time) with my SIL and niece Grace. I noticed and walked over to the puppies and started talking about how horrible it is that they're supporting puppy mills, repercussions, etc.

There was a specific doxie puppy. He was so lethargic and was so obviously sick. I had no intentions of buying him BUT I did feel bad for him. I asked one of the girls to let me hold him for a little bit. My SIL, who knows *NOTHING* about dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. asked, "What's wrong with him?". That poor little soul. He didn't ask to be brought into this world and now he is suffering while someone makes a profit off of him and his plight.

My guess is the "people parent" didnt even spend 10 minutes in homework. If they had, even cruised a few sites on the web, they would have seen how much a "pure bred" is- etc and hopefully even realize that they could have gotten the same mix from any shelter- not for 800 dollars- but like 65 dollars.. This will not be the last "snap" decission they make- to get and to place later etc..
    As far as 5 weeks old- considering that they are selling the pup that is actually a mixed breed etc- I really doubt they even care the pup is too young. ... This has me angry enough I know I sound like I am rambling- but I do not even know where to start on this subject.

I came THIS close to stealing a puppy from a pet store just a few months ago. It was the cutest little thing. But you could tell it was very sick. It was small enough for me to put in my purse and run. I felt so bad for it.

But I didn't steal it. I often wonder about that poor puppy. Did it live? Does it have a happy & safe home? Poor puppy.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Around here we had Petlands that sold puppies and kittens. They went out of buisness years ago. Good riddance!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

In our state, animals have to be a certain age to be sold.. Maybe this is something you could look into with the humane society. ...

i wouldnt be suprised AT ALL, if the puppy was just an impulse buy... so rediculas