Thread: Rocky went to the vets!

Rocky went to the vets!

Rocky went to the vets this morning to get his shots, and a general checkup. Unfortunately I was not able to get him weighed(the Scale wasnt working), so I still have no idea how much he weighs, but the vet suggested about 150lbs. Rocky did fantastic! He took his shots like a champ, and was very well behaved. He does have an early onset of arthritis, but as long as it is controled he should be just fine. Vet suggested i immediately get him started on Glucosamine, and to limit his stair use. I also have to Find a very good bed, since we have wood floors, and concrete, i have to find a realy good cushioned bed.
    Anyone, know here i can get a realy good doggy bed, that will be good for Rocky?? it also has to be Big enough obviously. The ones i find, are realy thin, and of not much use to me.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I am sure you will hear this alot,(I am sure I am not the only one that does this) but as I am pretty crafty on the sewing machine (hehe), we buy on sale the mattress egg crate covers. You can get the twin size about 11.00 at Kmart or full usually about 15.00 on sale. I cut them to the sizes I want. double or triple the thickness depending on what they are for ( crate bottoms, or living room throw bed etc.) then use an old sheet (I buy lots of unmatched ones at the thrift store WAY cheap) run up a cover on the machine and voila! One custom bed with or with out arthritis bumpies! You can buy several different types of the egg crate foam.

Hope that helped.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Believe it or not- my dogs favorite bed is ( drum rolll please) A CHILDS CRIB MATTRESS- .. no kidding.. I use crib sheets on them and they wash easily. They can also be wrapped in a comforter ( I use a queen size) that wraps around it twice.
    As far as arthritis- ask your vet about Glycoflex. Not having bone surgery yet, he would be on the Glycoflex 2. Another good one is the mixure of the 3 building enzyems ( attaching link..). Remember to double dose the first two days. This gets it into the system. They are expensive, but no where near the cost of replacing hips or elbow surgeries.
    I thought he was about 165- lol.. Hard to say since I cant put my hands on him- but I am going by his head and shoulders- close enough I guess... lol.. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2001+113677 .

Thanks you guys!! great tips!! I am gonna look and see about the egg crate stuuf, ad try to make my own! fabulous!! I would have never thought of that! I have tons of Unmatched sheets!! seems the dryer monster has stolen, the matches!!

Thanks for the arthritis med link Michelle!! awsome stuff. Since i only have Large dogs, i am quite used to this aspect! It sucks, but goes with the territory!

I would have suggested at least 165 too, but the vet was just guessing so who knows!! all i know is he is big!! so far the biggest dog, i have owned!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

He is a big love, and I love his markings! I would have fallen in love immediately as well.
    How is he doing now with hubby?
    Also- a warning- except for the massive kongs- these toys can get stuck with the wider skull and jaw. A friend of mines her saint got one stuck- and this was a huge(!!) kong.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    He is a big love, and I love his markings! I would have fallen in love immediately as well.
    How is he doing now with hubby?
    Also- a warning- except for the massive kongs- these toys can get stuck with the wider skull and jaw. A friend of mines her saint got one stuck- and this was a huge(!!) kong.
    He absolutely loves hubby now!!! He he he he he!! they are best of buds!!

Rocky does not like toys!! I have tried, but he just has no interest!! so no worries there!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Sounds good honey..
    Maybe a crib mattress with a egg crate pad on top????

If you REALLY want to know his weight, and if the vet isn't far from home, just call in a few days /weeks to see that the scale is working and take him in. I do this all the time with my cats. I go in the morning, when they don't have appointments as they are taking in the surgeries for the day and working on those. So the exam rooms are just sitting there empty. When my cat Sparkle had to lose 6 pounds (!), I used to joke she was in for her Weight Watchers Weigh In! Just a thought.

Well I made his bed for him!! I am so talented!!

click here-http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=119964
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

150 pounds! Whoa!

That's one big fella.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

We had a saint that lived next to us- she wanted a cat- he wanted a dog- well they got a saint- at 200 pounds, it was hysterical to hear this " here kitty kitty.." with a 200 pound saint.. ROFLMBO! ( ouch..)

200 pounds! I just can't imagine! Fenway weigh's 20 pounds (21 in the winter time). When I take him hiking and he gets pooped, I just scoop him up & carry him. Guess I couldn't do that with a 150-200 pound dog.

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Oh...having a 150-200 lb dog, is awsome, you have not lived until you have had a 150-200lb dog jump into your lap!!!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    We had a saint that lived next to us- she wanted a cat- he wanted a dog- well they got a saint- at 200 pounds, it was hysterical to hear this " here kitty kitty.." with a 200 pound saint.. ROFLMBO! ( ouch..)
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! that was funny!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!