Thread: dog diet drug :(

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

dog diet drug :(

This makes me sad. If an animal is overweight because of a thyroid problem, that's one thing. But, when you have a pet that is overweight because an owner over feeds and/or under exercises, it infuriates me. Now, here's an "out" for people who won't take better care of their pets. **That's just my opinion.** At least it's only available at this time through veterinarians. This may end up in the dog house, though...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/05/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. health officials have approved the first obesity drug aimed at treating Americans' increasingly plump pooches, the Food and Drug Administration said on Friday.

The drug, Pfizer Inc'.s Slentrol, helps decrease appetite and fat absorption to help the roughly 5 percent of U.S. dogs that are obese lose weight, the FDA said. Another 20 percent to 30 percent are overweight, it added.

Also known as dirlotapide, the drug can also cause various side effects, including vomiting, loose stools, diarrhea and lethargy.

"This is a welcome addition to animal therapies because dog obesity appears to be increasing," said Stephen Sundlof, head of FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Like their human counterparts, overweight dogs are also at risk for developing diabetes, heart trouble, joint problems and other complications, the FDA said.

At the same time, two-thirds of Americans are also overweight or obese, government statistics show. But Slentrol is not for human use and will carry warnings to discourage people from using it, the FDA said.

The drug will only be available through veterinarians, the FDA said, and will be given at various doses. Pfizer recommends use of Slentrol for three months, according to the agency.

Representatives for Pfizer could not be immediately reached for comment.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Wow that's sad. I agree. A thyroid or some type of condition is one thing but to just drug the dog because you can't be bothered to take the poor thing out for exercise is just sad.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Very sad. What has the world come to. (dogs aren't even fat-prone, just by not leaving their food out all day you can make them lose wieght. ) I bet this treatment wont last either. The dogs will get fat again. All because of their owners. How sad for the cats, too. I'd imagine there are more fat cats than dogs so it wont be long untill there's a cat treatment. If there isn't already.

I was going to make a thread, but...

I saw a box of treats that I thought might appeal to Jenny. I started reading the label to see what they were. The label said "to spoil your overwieght pet". I was just standing there staring at it for a moment. What is it, GOOD to have a fat dog?!?

I suppose the fashion "style" right now must be really thin people with really fat dogs. The fat dogs probably make the model look skinnyer.

OK, rant over.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    The label said "to spoil your overwieght pet". I was just standing there staring at it for a moment.
    Are you serious? What product was it? I have never heard of such a thing, that's ridiculous!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Sounds like a bad " out " to me too... jeez!

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    Are you serious? What product was it? I have never heard of such a thing, that's ridiculous!
    It was these chunks of roasted meat basted in something... One second, I'll try and find a similar product...

I can't find it on the internet. The store "Little Critters" doesn't even have a website.

All I can remember is;

They were in a huge tall plastic Jar,
    They weren't a brand name,
    They weren't shapes, they were a random, unique shape,

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    (dogs aren't even fat-prone, just by not leaving their food out all day you can make them lose wieght. )
    That's not neccessarily true. I have a dog who is overweight by about 10 pounds. We've run every test known to man, including a full thyroid panel read by several thyroid experts, full blood screens, x-rays, you name it, we've done it for Muskwa. He has several classic hypothyroid symptoms, but perfectly normal thyroid function--perfectly normal everything actually. He gets 2 cups a day of a prescription diet food, no treats, no bones, nothing else. Gets plenty of exercise. He hasn't lost an ounce in months. Last week we consulted a canine nutritionist who said that in some dogs there is no physical reason for the weight gain, their metabolism is just messed up. Could be aging, could be why he's always been a strange eater, could be just the way Muskwa is. He's the kind of dog that this type of drug might be a good thing for. I wouldn't use it--the side effects don't sound promising and I like to see a lot of research before I trust something on my critters.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    He's the kind of dog that this type of drug might be a good thing for. I wouldn't use it--the side effects don't sound promising and I like to see a lot of research before I trust something on my critters.
    See, now in a situation like that, if the veterinarian and owner both agree, I think it could be a good idea! I'm sorry to hear that you've not found anything to help him, though. But, yeah, the side effects sound worse than being a few pounds overweight. If a dog was severely obese, it might be worth the chance, but, ten pounds on a large dog doesn't sound severe (I could be wrong, but, ten extra pounds on Finn never seemed to be life threatening...which reminds me, Finn finally is back to a good weight!)

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    If a dog was severely obese, it might be worth the chance, but, ten pounds on a large dog doesn't sound severe (I could be wrong, but, ten extra pounds on Finn never seemed to be life threatening...which reminds me, Finn finally is back to a good weight!)
    My vet isn't terribly concerned. She told me if I had brought in a basset hound with the same symptoms she would have laughed at me, but an overweight husky is more unusual! She said to just keep up his diet, get him as much exercise as possible and we'll just monitor his weight. If he keeps gaining, then it might be a bigger concern.

I'd like to get the weight off because he's 9 years old now. As he ages, I don't want him to have any extra problems with his joints because of the weight.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I could see using that new med if it helped a dog lose weight faster.
    I think it would help a dog live a longer, happier life if used to get a dog
    down to an acceptable weight & then continue with proper feedings and
    stop the medicine.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    My vet isn't terribly concerned.

I'd like to get the weight off because he's 9 years old now. As he ages, I don't want him to have any extra problems with his joints because of the weight.

Very true. I know I watched my old little dog, Bruno, really closely when he got older. I wish you guys the best of luck, at least in helping him not gain more.

0-0 Just think how much good could have been done if the money it took to develop this had gone into researching a disease or a medical problem. *sigh*

I could forsee using something like this if....say....I were given my mom's neighbor's lab. The poor guy is DISGUSTING...I've never before seen a dog with fat rolls....and I would want to help him shed the weight quickly and safely. I would definitely have to talk it over with my vet though, this pill sounds a bit scary.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I would be insanely hesitant to use such a pill, eventhough my own dog is grossly overweight(yeh, I admit it... I can't stand it, but the whole family has to cooperate before we are able to get him back on track.).

Think about it. How many times have you heard of diet pills for humans that ended up not being safe? If its so common in pills for humans, I sure wouldn't take that chance with my own dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    Wow that's sad. I agree. A thyroid or some type of condition is one thing but to just drug the dog because you can't be bothered to take the poor thing out for exercise is just sad.
    I agree 100%. dogs aren't like people and their bodies react differently than ours.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..