Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Extreme Separation Anxiety

Help! Extreme Separation Anxiety

Things aren't all great with Dasher. In the beginning, he was a perfect dog. It all started when mom was gone for a while. One day when I was gone for a few hours, he had gotten into some bags and chewed a few things. So, that night, I thought I'd leave him in the bathroom. I came home to carpet and padding ripped up. So, I brought in the metal kennel and had been putting him in that. He was bending the bottom metal wires. Yesterday, I don't know how he did it, he broke a few wires and got out of the kennel. It's ruined now. I left him in my bedroom this morning, came home to carpet and padding ripped up, plus a board beside the door ripped off and chewed.
    *Every time I put on my shoes, he thinks he should go with me*

I can't pursue a dog obedience class until he gets well from his heartworm treatment. I want to try Rescue Remedy and I'm going to get a muzzle. I can't let him continue to destroy the house. I need help. I don't consider taking him back unless I've tried everything. I need help.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Well muzzles can catch the paws if left on with out supervision, but the racing muzzle allows them to drink etc. What is your reaction when you come home to this mess? Please be specific.. You come home, walk into the room .. and.. ( take it from there..) ...

I yelled at him and told him what a bad dog he was. He has no clue. Sits there and wags his tail. I also told him to get away from me. I'm not going to be giving lots of treats like I have been, either. I just don't know what to do.

He seems to have a nervous habit of licking his front legs a lot, too. I'm wondering if a little dog medication would help him.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    I yelled at him and told him what a bad dog he was. He has no clue. Sits there and wags his tail. I also told him to get away from me. I'm not going to be giving lots of treats like I have been, either. I just don't know what to do.

He seems to have a nervous habit of licking his front legs a lot, too. I'm wondering if a little dog medication would help him.
    THAT IS WHY this is getting worse. See yelling at him to you makes sense- to the dog- the dog is afraid of your arrival of getting in trouble and becomes more anxious. What you need to do, hard as it is, make the dog as safe as possible, but keep your reunions low key, calm etc. Just let the dog out, walk calm, wait a few minutes take the dog out- then clean the mess.
    You coming in like gang busters is worrying the dog that is smart enough to know "HOLY CRAP I AM GOING TO GET YELLED AT WHEN THEY COME BACK- OH NO - OH NO.. OH NO.." .. Unless you catch the dog in the act, saying anything is useless, and only makes the dog more nervous.
    Its the same training you do with submissive urination.. Calm let out and reunion.... walking past the dog ignoring the situation in the dogs pressence ( work on your body language not just your words- low relaxed shoulders- slow walk with easy foot steps not stomping... And little by little the dog will relaxed when left knowing they are not going to be in trouble when you get home... And calm down and stop this..

and licking the inside of the leg is a stress reliever. Femka does that once in a while, but use to do it all the time when we first got her. Being in a relaxed environment changes that. Femka only does it if she had a stressful day- like going to the vet..

Val, would it be possible to take him to a doggie daycare? Or somewhere else so he won't be left alone for long periods? Can you contact a behavior trainer in your area for a little one-on-one time in your home rather than waiting till you can take him to classes? I really hope you can find a solution, I know how much you like Dasher, and he seemed like such a good fit.

Yelling at him definitely doesn't work. My greyhound had S.A when I first got her but crating her helped IMMENSELY and she never tried to get out of it or destroy it. I came home from work one nite and she had ripped the trim off the bathroom door and pulled the controllers off the heater. I couldn't yell at her b/c I was too shocked. I was speechless.
    But Yelling at him just gives him negative attention and besides that they have no sense of time and what he did was hours earlier and yelling at him - he has no clue why.
    I would try to get the Comfort Zone plug in's - that might help.
    I'd be very careful with a muzzle b/c if he gets his paw or nail or something stuck in it you might come home to a bigger mess and a more panicked dog.
    I'd say if all else fails - try contacting Nancy to talk to him.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

This is a good site with methods of treating Dasher's problem.

http://www.ygrr.org/doginfo/behavior-anxiety.html

Might also consult with his Vet about anxiety medication for him while
    he is learning that being alone is not the end of his world.It should help.
    Best of luck helping him & helping yourself.

Both you and Dasher have been though a lot of turmoil in your lives and
    deserve to live a less stressful life.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's a good link on seperation anxiety:
    http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...n_anxiety.html

I don't think it's possible for him to go to doggie daycare until his treatment is well over, if he gets overexcited he can actually go into cardiac arrest.

Good luck with him. We used to have a beagle that had SEVERE seperation anxiety to the point she was hurting herself trying to go through walls and windows. I was really young and my parents didn't have a clue...it wasn't a good ending for her, but hopefully with the more advanced knowledge of today and with someone willing to take the steps, it should work out okay.

Giselle used to have mild SA. For the first few months, it was TORTURE. The key to handling SA is to gradually desensitize the dog to your departure.

During Giselle's first few months, I always had a stuffed Kong in the freezer. Mashed bananas, peanut butter, boiled chicken, canned food, etc. were excellent stuffings! Whenever I left the house (even if it was just to get mail), I'd place a frozen, stuffed Kong on her bed, turn on the TV/radio, close the blinds, and leave without a word. It is important to remember exactly *what* triggers the anxiety. For many dogs, that can include a view to the outside world. For Giselle, that was part of the anxiety. That's why we closed the blinds. The TV/radio serves as a "better", more calming distraction.

At first, I only left for 5 minutes. Then, after a week, I'd increase it to 10-15 minutes. After another week, we'd work up to 30 minutes. After that, I jumped up to 60 minutes. Once I knew she could handle an hour alone, I knew she could handle multiple hours alone. At this point, you can also phase out the good and bad distractions like the TV/radio and the frozen Kong.

And remember not to make a scene when you return. Enter as you left. Maintain a calm, non-chalant demeanor and Dasher will find no reason to get anxious over your departure and arrival. DAP and RR are nice accompaniments, but they won't get you far unless you use good ol' training

ETA: Be prepared for destroyed objects for the first few weeks. My tip is to keep the dog in an *entirely* puppy-proof room. Even then, you should expect a gnawed down threshold and table (been there done that ).

Thanks for all the help. I feel much better today. Yesterday was just a bad day. Mom fell again yesterday morning. She hurt the opposite shoulder she did last year. It's not quite as bad but she still has to be inactive for a month and then months of therapy. So, coming home to the mess after being at the doctor all morning was horrible. I see I've got to be totally different with Dasher than I was with Duke. I always used to say goodbye to him. I've been practicing putting on my shoes and sitting back down to watch tv. Dasher is catching on pretty quick. He calms down soon after I put them on. Also been carrying my keys from room to room. Going to Petco to get a kong, Rescue Remedy and Comfort Zone. I decided against the muzzle idea. I think that would just add to his anxiety. I'm going to be giving him his kong when I leave while I'm still on vacation. Then, when I go back to work, maybe it won't be so bad. Mom will be home. Thanks for all your help. Things look much better today. I had no idea what I was doing wrong until I read those articles and what you've said here.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Ok... I have a few question to ask you.

Do you have a treadmill at home? How often do you take your dog for walk in the morning? Your dog is frustrated and this is why he is destorying your house. You need to excerise him a lot to remove the frustration that holds him inside. Speration Aneixty is a frustrated energy because there is no healthy simulation. Imagine this, how would you like if you never can go outside your house. You have seen people coming in and go, but all you do is stay home and do nothing? But get a lot of love and food from people? There is no "fun" game to do at home. Wouldn't you go insane?

I have a rottwelier mix who had a severe seperation anexity and he was dumped at the humane society by his pervious family. A H.S. worker warned me that he will do anything to get out and be close to you. He broke two windows and managed to get out of his crate by chewing up the bar. He would whine alll night, but he is a large size dog. He is extremely strong enough to break or damage anything in his way. He got his face scarred because of that. The pervious owner did a wonderful job teach him to have a good manner like he doesn't get on the couch, or whatever, but they did not know how to handle his seperation anexity well.

I went to humane society once in a while to visit a friend who works there. I was not looking for a dog, but I decided to give him a chance. He changed a lot first two weeks in my home. This might sounds toooo simple, but true and you can try it out yourself.

I took Cody on a long walk for two hours on the first day. On the next day, I got up early in the morning to take him for his long walk before I put him in the crate. After I come home I took him another long walk in the afternoon. It helps with his anxeity and he does not care anymore if I left for a few hours.

Sometimes I don't have the time to get up early, I would put him on a treadmill for an hour or so. Now, no one can believe how much he changed in first two weeks just because I overexcerized him. A tired dog is always a good dog. Simple idea! He is always tired and very calm!

I can't do anything excessive like that until he gets well from the heartworm treatment. He loves to play fetch and stuff but it'll be a while before he can do that now.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

So wait until his heartworm is gone, you can excerise him. One day, You will thank me. I swear.

Yes! Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! This dog needs a job and needs to be worn out daily.