Thread: Amelia the guinea pig

Amelia the guinea pig

I don't know if anyone remembers my guinea pig Amelia. I haven't been on PT for about a year, so I don't blame you if you don't. But she has a huge cyst on her rear end. I took her to the vet yesterday, and they said it'll get bigger and eventually burst. Surgery to remove it is $300.

She's getting up there in age, so I wonder if it is worth it. I am feeling sad and confused right now. And also slightly guilty, because I know if it was my dog I would spend $3000 if I could without even thinking.

But I love my girl.

I'm sorry to just come on here after a year to post sad news... but I don't have many people to talk to about this.

Here are some pictures of my girl.

Amelia

Lily & Amelia

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I am so sorry that you are going through a hard time, I'm not sure what to tell you. If she is at the age where she may pass away by old age soon anyway, then I would say it might be best to put her down and then she won't go through any suffering, but if you see that Amelia still has a very large happy will to live, then I would do the surgery! Whatever your decision is we will respect you very much for helping your little Amelia. Please update us on what you decide and if Amelia is doing ok.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

How old is she?

I'd go ahead with the surgery, unless they say she's too old to risk the anesthesia - a cyst that large probably hurts like crazy, poor girl!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks. She hasn't been acting like she is in pain, so I didn't think to ask the vet if she is. She is almost 5.

Go with your heart.

I would perosnally go with the surgery, if it was safe for the animal. Good luck and I will keep this little cutie in my prayers.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I know how you feel.

I had a guinea pig , Pippin(in my sig) who died back in octber. I was debating wether i should take him to a vet or not, I only realised he was getting sick the day before he died. After I decided to take him to the vet in the a.m. I woke up and he was passed away in the corner of the cage.

It broke my heart but I knew it was time. He was about 3 and a half. which is pretty young, but he was sick when I got him is the only thing I can think. when he was born he was blind in one eye, which im thinking he was masking other health problems.

Im like you, if it was my dog I would spend as much as possible, but I dunno why I thought about my poor G.P so much debating wether to take him to the vet or not.

I just hope she feels better soon.
    Off The Rock's Devilish Diva; Sasha

Off The Rock's Meriadoc Brandybuck; Merry

Off The Rock's Peregrin Took; Pippin(RIP)

And the Off The Rock's Fish tank

Awww she's a cute piggy! Can't they just lance the cyst?

I'm sure since the days when I had pigs they've improved things alot, however back then doing anesthetic on a GP was very risky.

One thing I learned about them is that if they get sick you have about 24 hours to get it looked at, even a simple cold can turn to pnemonia in a short time.

5 is a pretty good age for a piggy. Only one of mine made it that old and he had arthritis and cataracts by that time.

Piggy (black american)- 3 yrs
    Cinnamon (bi-color american)- 3 yrs
    Sammy (silver agouti)- 7 yrs

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

thanks everyone for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    Awww she's a cute piggy! Can't they just lance the cyst?
    no, the vet said it was too big now to just drain it.

What a beautiful & sweet girl! I'm so sorry to hear she isn't feeling her best. =(
    I agree, though. Go with what feels best. Follow your heart!

Thanks all.

I am sorry to hear of guinea pigs who passed away. What great companions they are