Thread: Green Beans helping constipation problems???

Green Beans helping constipation problems???

I had problems with my Chihuahua having constipation problems. I posted questions on it, and some one came back with the advice to use green beans. I asked ( do you think I could feed him those and just keep feeding it to him. Or is it like the pumpkin, I can only feed it for a little while. Other wise I have been told it will start to constipate him. Don’t ask me why I haven’t’ a clue. You wouldn’t think something that helps with constipation, would start to cause the problem after a while. But I don’t know the dog chemistry either, so anything can happen.) Unfortunately for some reason I didn’t get a response and I would like to know if any one else knows of the good effect of Green Beans? Please let me know, thanks ahead of time. God bless.

Francine

Green beans are pretty good, but so are small carrots.. Mine love those over cookies! Also add some yogurt. That ads in digestion. Maybe a teaspoon? or a half of one for a chihuahua.. Twice a day at meals.

I recieved the green beans advice from the Vet asst. where I take Maggie.
    The most valuable thing she told me was to mix some water with the kibble
    I feed her. It has really helped a lot.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the info, I will try it. What type of Green Beans do you use, canned or fresh raw beans? Also with the yogurt, should you feed that to them when it seems they are getting constipated? Or just every day, with their food? I have fed them carrots but I have been told on a Chihuahua site to make certain I don’t feed them too many of them. Maybe it is because it causes diarrhea.
    Borzoimom, I remember talking to you about the product called Hair of the dog. I did get that and tried it on my dogs. I stopped because Pippen started to get constipated, and I wanted to make certain it wasn’t the reason for the problem he was having. Do you know if it might have anything in it that might cause this problem? Or is it meant to help some what with their poo also? I know it was helping him out a great deal in getting his hair back after the burn he got. But now that he had this problem with the constipation. I have seen him start loosing his hair in that area again. It also could be because I started to use cocoanut oil on him too, and he started to lick it off. So maybe with all that activity in that area, it has caused him to loose some more hair. I don’t know. I got from another person on a Chihuahua site that info. To use cocoanut oil, it is said to help regrowth of the hair.
    Lizbud, I have a finicky eater, and I have tried moistening the kibbles like you mentioned. And some times she will eat it, and other times she won’t even touch it. So the kibbles will go to waste because I have to toss them out after that. Did the vet say to do that all the time, or just half the time you feed? Thanks again for all your help. God bless

Hair of the dog would not contain anything that would lead to constipation- if anything- the opposite as omega vitamins aid in digestion.
    Soaking the kibble would help. I also do not know what brand of food you feed.
    My guys like string beans over green, but carrots is still the prefered. What you could do is steam the green beans or string beans- use the water as the water for the kibble.. The problem with cooking any veggies is that you do lose half the b complex vitamins in the veggie.
    Which brand do you feed?

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    Lizbud, I have a finicky eater, and I have tried moistening the kibbles like you mentioned. And some times she will eat it, and other times she won’t even touch it. So the kibbles will go to waste because I have to toss them out after that. Did the vet say to do that all the time, or just half the time you feed? Thanks again for all your help. God bless

Well, you don't need a lot of water. Just about 2 or 3 oz. Yes, It's a
    every day thing.It has helped my Maggie and it doesn't bother Smokey
    at all.

p.s. I never tried the greenbeans, but it was going to be my 2nd option.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Borzoimom, I feed them California Naturals lamb and rice formula. I did a lot of reading and found them to come pretty close to the criteria that I wanted in a dog food. They were doing really well on it too; no upset tummy’s and they were eating it real well. It even took care of Pippens dry skin problem. But now Belle has gotten finicky about eating it. And they both are getting bound up. I don’t think it is the food they are eating though. We did introduce a new puppy to the group. And she is a big breed dog, so they have had kind of a shock to the system here. I am trying to ease them into it as best I can. But they don’t really care for this change. I didn’t have any problems with them and their food, until after I brought Lilly home. That is why I was thinking it had to do more with stress then anything else. Belle has always been a finicky eater. She will eat a little of her food, and then leave the rest. But if you are fixing anything at the table. She is right there for any treats she can get. So I don’t think she is not eating because she is sick. I just wish I could get them over this potty problem. They are going potty, but I have to keep feeding them the pumpkin, in order for them to keep regular. And I don’t think that is healthy. You mentioned carrots, how many should I feed two small dogs? What about Lilly, should I feed her the carrots too? And if so how much? My Chi’s love the carrots I have given them in the past. Also what about the yogurt, how much should I feed them of that, and how often? I have heard yogurt helps put back the good bacteria in your intestines. Which helps with the food digestion. But I don’t know how much I should be feeding them, nor how often.
    Lizbud, I will try a little less water. But she still is a bit too finicky. So I can’t say that is going to aid her in her eating.
    I have also been told on other sites that dogs don’t like changes in their diet. And they can eat the same thing for every and it doesn’t bother them. But if you change the diet, it can cause problems with their digestion. I have never had my dog on just kibbles. We have always given them things like apples and carrots and other things like that, as treats. So is this true what they are saying, or full of bunk? Thanks again to both of your for your helpful insights. God Bless

Opps kind of messed up there, should have put in that Belle is eating less like what she is generally eating like. She has always been a picky eater. But with the California Naturals, she was eating that pretty good. Though it takes her a lot longer to finish it then it does my other dog. So I call her a finicky eater. But after we brought the big puppy in the house, she has gone to eating a little, to not eating at all some times. I feed all the dogs separately, so Belle eats in her kennel. So she wont feel like she has to wolf down her food. But I can leave her in there for an hour, and she will still not have really eaten anything. But if I give any of them treats, she is right in there with the rest of them eating away. So that is what I meant about being a finicky eater.

I've always put veggies in my dog's food - carrots, green beans and potatoes. Then I bought a dog food with the brand name "Merrick." It was great food for her. They have alot of flavors and they loved it. They never had a problem. But if they were on an antibiotic and got constipated, I always gave them some canned pumpkin. Very, very little at a time because it could throw them the other way completely. Once they are not constipated any more, stop the pumpkin.

Dogs can back off of food once satisfied. Mine are bottomless pits, but they can. I am not that familiar with that food, but will look into it. I have a feeling she is backing off because she feels constipated. You can cut back on how much you feed. Remember they go through changes in how much they need.. Sometimes adding a little meat ( without bone if you add kibble) like raw chicken breast ( no bone) or even chicken livers might help.
    As far as constipation- take out a little of the food and use warm water to soak. My dogs also like broccoli- or asparagus tips.. ( raw of course- or steamed but I use the left over water to soak the food when I steam the veggies) .

Good luck with your problem with your Chi. Sorry I have no advice for you. One of mine is a picky eater too but she has no constipation problems, luckily.

I would love to see pics

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!