Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos on teens - opinions pls

My friend's dad has some and he regrets where he got them and has always told us of the pain he suffered getting them in the first place and then having to live with them for the rest of his life until now when he went to get one removed and it turned out to be more painful than when he got them in the first place.

When my friend got married it was a really hot day and her father could not take his Jacket off and roll up his sleeves when the photo's were over because he was ashamed of his tattoos as they were in a very visible place.

His son went to get one and the guy had to stop half way through because he could no longer stick the pain and now he is left with a half a tattoo that means absolutely nothing so your son should go and discuss this with the artists and be aware of all of the dangers as well as the pros to having one, such as blood poisining, HIV, skin burning and so on.

But definitely do not say no as he will go anyway.
    jackmilliesmom

Thanks to Michelle (Kittycats_Delight) for my wonderful
    cheerful and special signature and avatar!!!!!!

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    If he is 18 and doesn't need your money to get a tattoo, I'd imagine you have no way of stopping him, as he can just go behind your backs and do it anyways. My sister was not allowed to get her belly button pierced according to my dad, however, she did it anyways and they had NO clue!

I'd say research with him, go with him, and make sure it's done in sanitary conditions. Try to make your husband realize this point, too.
    Exactly , he is a 18 and can sign for him self now. MY parents say once your 18 get whatever wherever bbut while in their house I get my tattoos where they say I can and I have to show them what I want first and if they think it's something I will regret I pick something else that I wanted and wait till I'm 18 to get the other thing.

Most places are clean with their needles etc.
    I would advise you to maybe talk to some people near you who have tattoos and see where they recomend.

I think it's fine that a teen gets a tattoo so long as they know what they are getting into and it's not just a spur of the moment thing. But you said your son has wanted one for year already so that isn't the case here. I don't regret any of mine and I KNOW I never will.I will always look back on them and remember things. If theres ever one I dont like I would look back and think wow I was so stupid for getting that.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

It's his body, he's got to live with it. It would be better if Dad went along with it too. Maybe he can approach his dad again with a copy of the artwork?Tattoos are so popular, and the ones like you said, celtic knots & tribal designs, look pretty good & are neutral enough not to freak people out.

I'm with you, though, put it where you can cover it up if the situation calls for it. No face/head/necks please. I've met kids who got passed over for good jobs because of visible tattoos & facial piercings.
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 01-03-2007 at 12:51 PM.

that is kind of sticky seeing how dad says no...

I personally would let him do it.. I agree that he should wait and find some artwork that meant something to him and wait till he is 100% sure that is what he wanted.

I think you are going about it the right way...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I would say let him. My dad had a tattoo and was adament about me NOT getting one. He told me that if I really wanted one, to think about it for a year. If I still want it after that year, then go get it.

I did just that. I got the tattoo I always wanted and I love it. But, I also got a spur of the moment tattoo that I HATE! It wasn't thought out and it's impossible to hide.

If he's been thinking about it, then he's ready. But he needs to make sure that the design he wants isn't just a fad or something spur of the moment. Also, he needs to get it done right since, as others have stated, is permanant.

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Tattoos are a bad idea. When a person grows and changes through the years will they think they had a good idea in their youth? Probably not!
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

My ex and I were pretty conservative parents so this was something
    that never came up in conversation with the children.If they ever wanted
    a tattoo I never heard about it. They are grown adults now & can do as
    they please, but somehow I think they still wouldn't do it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I vote Yes to make sure it's done right and not have him go behind your back.

When I read the title, the teen age that popped into my mind was 14-16. I'd be more hesitant then.

However, 18 years old... he's legal to smoke and join the armed forces so I would think a tattoo would be a drop in the bucket. Dad will get over it.

My dad forbade me to get my ears pierced a second time when I was 16. Mom took me to a place she trusted to get them done since she didn't want me jabbing needles into my ears or having a friend botch it up.

Dad got over it.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm older generation and I remember that although you can decide everything with 18 most of us would decide some things differently when we became older.
    Bad thing with a tattoo- it's irreversible.

So has he ever thought to get a piercing? My stepdaughter got several when she was 18 (and we hated them all, the arrows in the root of the nose between the eyes, the one in the belly and the one in the tongue) but now she's 26 and doesn't have them anymore.

Things like this are also done to be different from your old-fashioned parent generation and of course this was much easier for my generation when long hair for the boys and no bras for girls could cause enough shock to your parents

I agree with Brody's Mum and Kay.

I love tattoos. For some, they're meaningless. But to me there is so much to them. I value them as art, as spiritual things, as one of the things I'm just plain "into", etc.

Try surfing on the net and looking at some examples of artists in your area. If you can find an excellent apprentice, he may be able to get it done for free - or nothing.

I vote YES. Our whole family has tattoos except for my dad and it's sort of a tradition where the year you turn 18 you get a tat. I already know what I want mine to be. It's a vine that wraps around my ankle and foot. It'll have some celtic symbols tied into the leaves as well.

As long as he get one he is happy with I say go for it but make sure it's okay with his dad first.
    I'm A Proud Sister of TWO Pugs

I got my tattoo when I was 21 and my father STILL doesn't know about it (I am 33 now). But I do not regret getting it.
    The one thing to keep in mind is it needs to be something HE wants. When my friend and I went to get ours I asked her what she thought of the drawing of mine and the artist said...it's going to be on YOU forever, not her. I was like...good point.
    I also thought long and hard about what to get. I originally wanted to get Dopey from the seven dwarfs, but thought ok a 70 year old woman with a saggy Dopey on her ankle....NOPE. So I settled for a nice small flower.

Anyway....my vote is YES. And going with him is an excellent idea, if he will let you.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat
    Tattoos are a bad idea. When a person grows and changes through the years will they think they had a good idea in their youth? Probably not!
    How so? How can you claim that *EVERYONE* changes and morphs and never looks at the same idea twice?

I know and have seen MANY older folks with tattoos that *STILL* look fantabulous! In fact, I think I have only seen one older person with tattoos that looked bad. That was because she had tattooed over the same ones several times!

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat
    I have 3 I'm 16 and I know I will still like mine. Your theory is wrong, seems like you don't know much about the subject so you shouldn't assume that. I personally find that offensive.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I vote help him. He's 18 so bottom line he can get one with or without your permission. At least if he know's your behind it you can offer suggestions and perhaps help find a good place.

Just a suggestion, do your homework (ask friends, etc.)and pay a little more if necessary. My brother had a tatoo done at one those ?? places for less and has never been really happy with the work. I had a tiger done but did my homework first and went to a shop and artist that was extremely well known and even published in magazines. Everyone I knew recommended this guy. The tiger looks real it's so good. The other thing is since he's young and has no idea what type of job he'll end up with suggest putting it in a place that's easy to hide, believe me it will make things easier down the line.