Thread: Help with hairball remedy

Help with hairball remedy

I am trying to find a remedy for hairballs, what do you all use? I found some Heinz hairball stuff, and used it. But I am wondering if there is anything better then that out there? Thanks for any help you all can be. God bless

Francine

I have had good results with Petromalt. It comes in malt and fish flavors. I have 2 cats who don't like the malt flavor. With 7 cats, I get the "family size" tube. Three cats LOVE it and take it right off the tube. The others, I smear the inch strip along the upper lip and let them lick it off. I tried putting on the paw as suggested; the paw flicks and the stuff goes flying across the room, to be found days later. So that didn't work for me.

Chestnut needs it twice per week, or he gets constipated. The others, once per week is fine. I rarely have hairballs.

I have also used the food with the hairball control formula. Works for the hairballs, but not as well as the Petromalt. And Chestnut still needed the Petromalt twice per week. I tried the treats (they won't eat those) and teh gel (ditto). The pump was nice, but more expensive than the tube, and that doesn't matter to the cat, just to the person, so I didn't spend the extra money again.

There are 2 brands. "Petromalt" by St. Jon. "Petromalt" by Virbac. I use them interchangeably, I don't notice any difference. When I need it I search online for the best price and buy 4 or 5 to get the better shipping rate. My cats don't like "Laxatone."

Here is the link to one catalog store I like a lot:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Sandra

A cheaper solution....

margirine/butter a little bit on a spoon or finger works works great.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

A little while after I started giving my cat the petroleum-based hairball remedies, two things happened - he started refusing them (even the ones with a crunchy treat on the outside and petroleum on the inside), and he started getting mucus plugs blocking his urethra. I think maybe the petroleum was irritating to his urinary tract

So I got some ordinary (human) fiber therapy capsules (psyllium seed husk), and I snip one capsule open, sprinkle it over his canned food, and mash it in along with his vitamins and other things (3V Caps, Cosequin, Kitty Kaviar bonito flakes because he likes the flavor, and extra water because he likes gravy!)

He also eats a fair amount of kibble, so I got some Veterinarian's Best brand Cat Lube tablets (which are mostly psyllium with some enzymes mixed in), and crumble one over his kibble in roughly kibble-sized pieces. That's chicken-flavored, and he likes it. No more hairballs, no more constipation, and no more urinary mucus plugs!

Love, Columbine

Hey, Craftlady - um, do cats have to worry about their cholesterol? I don't know the answer to this. So I'm not sure about the butter thing. I wonder if "Take Control" or one of the other (supposedly) cholesterol lowering butter substitutes would also work.

I went to petsmart last night and they had petromalt along with Laxatone. But they also had this all natural paste that said it had no petroleum in it. Now that does sound like it would be more healthy for the cat. Of course the price was pretty high also. So before I get it I wanted to find out if it truly matters? I don’t know if this is a problem for cats or not. I got in the meantime Laxatone, and they don’t like it any better then they liked the petromalt stuff. But they lick it off, because they have too, or stay dirty the whole day. Till my dogs are able to eat it off that night. But I have been blessed with two boys that at least clean off their feet. LOL Now their backsides are a different story. Oh well can’t have it all. I got the Laxatone because it claims to help out constipated dogs also. And my poor Chihuahuas get that way sometimes. Thought I could use this to help them out too.
    I had to laugh when freedom said that her cat would whip the paste off of its paw. I think we all have gone through that scenario. LOL What I do is make certain it is smeared good on their paw, so that their isn’t any chunks left to fly off if they shake it. And believe me they tried to do that at first. But now they just settle down and start licking it off. Now if you tried to offer it to them on your finger they will still put up their noses to it.
    I also had some one on another site mention that her cat eats plastic bags and so she has a problem with him getting constipated. My guys also eat anything plastic, like bags or ties. Is this because they are getting bound up with hairballs, and are trying to find something to help them pass it? Like normal roughage would? I have tried to get them grass to help with the process, but they won’t eat that cat grass you can get. Now if I let them into my bedroom they will eat my plants I have in there. I put them in their because they wont leave them alone. Isn’t that strange, things they shouldn’t eat they do, and the things they can eat they won’t. Sounds like a human child. LOL Well hope some one can answer these questions. God bless

Try Cat Lube treats from Veterinarian's Best. They're chicken flavored, don't have petroleum, and most cats seem to like them (although sometimes you have to break them into small pieces that are easier for a cat to pick up). Most pet stores have them, or you can buy them online. They're made with psyllium (the same thing humans take!) And keep them away from plastic bags! Try throwing them a few fresh green beans - they spin entertainingly when attacked on a non-carpeted floor, which makes them seem worth tasting...

I found good food is the best thing for hairballs. What do you feed your cat? I've found Purina Indoor formula makes more hairballs than any other food - in both my own cats and all the cats at the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Hey, Craftlady - um, do cats have to worry about their cholesterol? I don't know the answer to this. So I'm not sure about the butter thing. I wonder if "Take Control" or one of the other (supposedly) cholesterol lowering butter substitutes would also work.
    Well your not suppose to give the animal a whole pound of butter at one time. You give them just a small amount about size of a piece of corn kernal or smaller.

Plain old petroleum jelly works too. This is base for all these flavored malts.

I have found the petmalts etc give my gang worse hairballs.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Thanks for your help I will look into some of the things you all have mentioned.
    As for the food they eat, I feed them California Naturals, chicken flavor. I did a lot of reading up on what is a good brand and what isn't. I found this to meet most of the criteria’s I was looking for. So I am pretty certain it isn't the food that is causing the problems. They are just real big, and very furry.
    I have heard before to use green beans but on a dog of mine. Does this really work to help pass obstructions like fur balls? Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    I have heard before to use green beans but on a dog of mine. Does this really work to help pass obstructions like fur balls?
    Sure - it's fiber (cellulose) and fiber is what keeps things moving! Some people mix a bit of cooked pumpkin in their cats' food too, or just give it to them straight if they like it. I just had to go for the straight-up psyllium because my big, furry cat is on a special diet that diverts all his water to his urinary system to keep him from getting crystals, so his intestines need a bit of extra TLC. And he hates pumpkin!

Love, Colulmbine

About what amount should I give my cats of the Green Beans? I also am going to try this on my dogs, they are Chihuahuas, so they more then likely will have the same amount or maybe a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    About what amount should I give my cats of the Green Beans? I also am going to try this on my dogs, they are Chihuahuas, so they more then likely will have the same amount or maybe a little less.
    Just 2 or 3 raw ones should get a significant amount of fiber into a cat. Just get enough so that there'll be some left for the cats after you figure out that raw green beans taste really good to humans when they're dunked in hummus or ranch dressing!

Love, Columbine
    Last edited by columbine; 01-05-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Hey Frawri, my kitties love to nibble on my house plants as well. Sparkle learned her lesson the hard way, when she was about 7 months old. She bit into a catcus! OUCH, to say the least. Yes, she had to pick one iwth lots of little spikes all over it. She is the only one who won't touch the house plants.

I use Barley Cat on their food. Not often. Usually, I forget about it. Then I notice they are eating the plants again, so I add it to their food for a few feedings. Then I stop, fully intending to get a routine, once per day or something . . . . . It is a green powder, and it seems to give them whatever it is they are craving when they head to the plants. So it keeps them away from the plants. Mine don't like the cat grass either. Now, the grass out in the back yard, THAT they will eat. Run in and throw it up on the first rug, sofa pillow, bed, they can get on.