Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: URGENT!! No kill in Erie, PA is now euthanizing cats... NEEDS HELP!!!

Let me know what ya find out.
    Melissa

Had her on the phone, she is trying to figure out who is going where. She's had a bunch of places step up, and former adopters as well say they'll take another cat. She's going to give me a call back after she figures out who needs a home yet, and then I'll let you guys know.

She said she has some that aren't even on the list. There's one that was just dropped off, she took in to spay tonight, and the vet called and told her that here the kitten was pregnant and having kittens right that moment. She said when she moved to her current residence, an old rooming/boarding house, there were 30+outdoor cats there already. She moved in with her 13 cats. She spayed and neutered the outdoor cats that could be trapped, and has been doing it since. There is no low fee spay/neuter up there she says, and there are no vets willing to give discounts. This is in Erie.

She has one cat, a smushy faced persian, who had been hung by it's neck in a tree at the park at the age of a few months, and now has very limited mobility in it's head. She said she's more than likely keeping the very elderly (she has a bunch over 15 yrs) not jsut cause they're elderly, but because they have been with her so long and doesn't want to traumatize them.

She was telling me how people just do whatever to drop their cats off. One person used a crow bar to pry open her screen door, and shoved a cat in between that and the regular door, and then smushed the door closed as much as he could. What the heck are people thinking??? She's originally from CA, and moved here to PA about 5yrs ago. Had a major major car accident (Tboned by a kid on a cell phone in his car, never used the brakes, slammed her into the median and the car was forced over the median and she was hit by more oncoming cars and the car was flipped and flipped). The doctors don't know if she'll ever fully recover, and she's had many surgeries. Right now she can't work, has no health insurance, and she hates to do this, as she did shelter work since 1989 in CA, but she's about to lose her house.

Anyway.... will let you guys know how many and who are available, and breeds etc... I told her I was more than willing to drive as well. She has had people contact her from Michigan, Ohion, New Jersey, and has had a lot of offers for help, which is a good thing!!

that is great! I hope she gets them all adopted out and doesn't have to euthanize anymore. Thanks for letting us know.
    melissa

What a terrible story! I posted about the shelter on Best Friends in their urgent needs forum, and I also wrote to B.F. direct to see if they could support her shelter. Perhaps they can take the most disabled cats. Do you think it will be okay if I use what you have posted, Jenn, in my B.F. thread? It mights get even more people to step forward to help, and may inspire the organization itself to take on some of the burden. Have you used any other forums to post about the shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    What a terrible story! I posted about the shelter on Best Friends in their urgent needs forum, and I also wrote to B.F. direct to see if they could support her shelter. Perhaps they can take the most disabled cats. Do you think it will be okay if I use what you have posted, Jenn, in my B.F. thread? It mights get even more people to step forward to help, and may inspire the organization itself to take on some of the burden. Have you used any other forums to post about the shelter?

You may use whatever you need!

Jenn - I posted it in urgent needs and Pennsylvania animals in need. I don't know if you are a member of the Best Friends network, but if you are (or become one) it would help if you got into the topics and posted a response. This keeps the relevants forums and threads at the top of the list.

I'll try that tomorrow at school. i've been having computer issues and was trying to do a clean install of my mac (it's a mac book, and you can use mac or windows), but I hate windows and I want only my mac back! It's not letting me do it!

Kate's most recent emails state that all but 6 cats have been spoken for through other rescues. And Miracle has THREE applications on him!

That's wonderful news. What about the poor cat that was hung (I can hardly bear to think about it)? Do you think she will lose her home? If she stays, people are going to keep trying to post cats through her door!

I am so glad. I hope the other 6 find places to go too. I never heard back from her.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by doolittleky
    I am so glad. I hope the other 6 find places to go too. I never heard back from her.
    Melissa

That seems to be a habit I'm guessing. She was supposed to call me back as well as email, and she hasn't. I'm guessing she's also very busy as well as very stressed and overwhelmed. It's got to be hard to have to give up your babies.

have you ever gotten a recent update as to whether or not she placed all her cats?
    Melissa

The last I heard was that she was fine and the cats, safe.

Yeah, she didn't really say much after the "I have 6 cats left" email. I'm guessing she found enough help. She wasn't very good at responding.

Cats

I personally cannot take in any more animals. However how about everyone sending her some funds? If we all chipped in and sent $2.00 each. I am sure that would help. It would amount to a great deal of monies. Monica