Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: URGENT!! No kill in Erie, PA is now euthanizing cats... NEEDS HELP!!!

URGENT!! No kill in Erie, PA is now euthanizing cats... NEEDS HELP!!!

I received this in my email from a fellow shelter volunteer.... I know we are going to see how much we can help, but are there any other people or rescues out there that might be able to lend an hand??? She's already euthanized a few of the cats, and the next group is slated for Jan. 7th or 8th. There are purebreds and domestics, as well as some with special needs (like one with only two front legs!). It's a heartbreaking story! Read below:

At the bottom of my email you will see an email I was sent from a concerned person telling me about a rescue - For the Love of Cats - http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA398.html
    I was told she is euthanizing her rescues cats .... after confirming what I was told on her website I contacted her.
    I want to help some of these cats....but can not take them all of course!
    She said she has been asking for help from rescues - she says she WAS a no-kill at one time but became overwhelmed.

This is from the woman who runs the shelter...
    Yes, it is true. I used to be a no-kill and the people of Erie, Pa heard this and began dumping animals here at an alarming rate. I had no choice but to euthanize pregnant females and cats that have been here for a while. I have many purebreds (Siamese, Maine coons, and Persians), domestics and purebred mixes. All are friendly and although some have a few health issues, none are seriously ill. It is sad but with so many being dumped each month (7 to 10 a month), there is nothing else that I can do. I am behind on my mortgage and owe almost 20,000 to doctors for surgeries done to repair my arm as well as various vets that gave assistance to my animals. My right arm, neck and back were injured in a car accident (not my fault) and I have posted numerous times on various lists that I need to rehome these cats. I hate having to euthanize but there has been no help and I have no income. Many of these cats were brought here in serious condition and many have special needs like needing to be only cat or one of two. Some were previously attacked by dogs and cannot go to homes with dogs. Some were declawed and now are afraid of their own shadow, but all are loving to humans.
    Thanks for caring,
    Kate

I sent your post to someone at Best Friends since they work with rescues that are struggling. I'll also post on 911 and the cat with no back legs on Handicats. I wish I could do more but it's impossible right now.

I've heard many times that rescues almost wish they hadn't received any press since it brings many more requests to take cats than it does donations and adoptions.

This is such a sad story, but I understand you are doing all you can.
    I will pray that some help comes your way, I will pray so so hard.
    Are the animals euthanised humanely with injections? I so hope so as gassing is barbaric and painful and should be banned.

I PM'd davidp, he is with a rescue group in Pittsburgh PA. Maybe his group can help, even if it is only 1 or 2 cats.

I know that our (Jen L and me) group is trying to figure something out to help with at least some of the cats, and one of the other local groups as well. I know they said there is a siamese rescue up there that can help with transport, and I said I can drive as well. I have a small car, but can fold the back seats down and fit about 8 reg. sized carriers.

Some of the ones she's euthanized already looked like totally adoptable cats. I mean, killing kittens and pregnant mom cats?! To me that's so cruel. There's a pretty ragdoll that is up with the next group, and a fluffy persian as well. I am just shocked. I mean, she says she's short on money, but euthanizing isn't cheap either.

I know publicity can be a godsend and a pain. Someone had heard that I help with rescues and put a cat in a box on my front porch in the 100* heat this summer. What an idiot!!! All it said was "This is so and so, he's 2yrs old". I've had a woman who said her son was taking care of her cats, but felt they were impeding the sale of his house so he put them outside and would I help her? I went there and found a 3-4 yr old seal point himmy and a 10yr old silver coated persian, declawed, never been outside before in their lives, in the freaking bushes!!! They were a mess, covered in fleas and a bunch of ticks that I found and took off them. No revolution on them, no frontline. What the heck were these people thinking??? The little persian guy got a home with a woman in upstate NY who loves persians and the himmy was adopted by my neighbor who absolutely adores and spoils the heck out of her. She is the princess of the house!

Ignorant people drive me nuts. I just don't think I could resort to euthanizing my rescues if I was in dire straits... there has to be another alternative, but then again, I am not in her situation, and lord knows what she's going though. She has to be struggling with this.

Thanks for any help in this!!

Quote Originally Posted by CultureJunky
    Are the animals euthanised humanely with injections? I so hope so as gassing is barbaric and painful and should be banned.

I have no idea how she is doing the euthanizing. I hope to god it's by injection.

This is such a sad situation. I hope that she'll be able to get the help that she needs so no more of these cats will have to be euthanized. I would think that since many people want purebreds that they would be very easy to place.

I wish I could take a cat in but i'm all the way in Indiana.

I'll pray for them though.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Is there any new information on this??

This makes me sick to my stomach. What in the heck has this lady done in this situation?? So she didn't look past the end of her nose to get some assistance with this?? Sounds like all of you have done a ton more than this woman has. I am sorry to sound so negetive but there are people out there that can help it just depends how hard you try???? The Siamese Rescue group has a group located in VA that could help but just being a sponser I don't think I could really help. But here is the E-mail [email protected]. Siri Zwemke is the director. The other group I know of that takes in Persians and Siamese cats from the midwest is http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/ Kristen is the director. This is aweful. I don't know what else to do. I live in Wisconsin. There is a ton of people from that area here maybe if we all pull together something could be done. I wonder if she has made it clear to the neighborhood that she is no longer accepting animals??????? I bet not

*I've been Boo'd*

Quote Originally Posted by heidiv
    This makes me sick to my stomach. What in the heck has this lady done in this situation?? So she didn't look past the end of her nose to get some assistance with this?? Sounds like all of you have done a ton more than this woman has. I am sorry to sound so negetive but there are people out there that can help it just depends how hard you try???? The Siamese Rescue group has a group located in VA that could help but just being a sponser I don't think I could really help. But here is the E-mail [email protected]. Siri Zwemke is the director. The other group I know of that takes in Persians and Siamese cats from the midwest is http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/ Kristen is the director. This is aweful. I don't know what else to do. I live in Wisconsin. There is a ton of people from that area here maybe if we all pull together something could be done. I wonder if she has made it clear to the neighborhood that she is no longer accepting animals??????? I bet not
    WHOA! Hold on a minute. We do not know exactly how much she has or has not tried. And simply TELLING the public that you are not taking in animals does not stop people from dumping them.

Have YOU ever tried to get a no kill rescue to accept a new intake. They ALL say "NO, we are FULL!"

I feel badly for this person having to go against her original beliefs of no-kill.

WE now need to help her. WE can ask those rescues groups to help her. Multiple requests have a way of making waves (you know the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease.")

So let's start an email campaign to get some help for this rescue!

I completely understand what you are saying in a sense it just really bothers me to read her posts on her website says NOTHING about these cats being pts it just says THIS CAT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AFTER JAN. To the average person(Someone NOT in rescue) would never understand what that means. It upsets me an enourmous amount knowing animals are being pts sleep out of their control...... Maybe she should have really looked into the expenses it costs before jumping in. I see this way to often in my area yet the animals get blamed and KILLED because very LITTLE has been done until it is to LATE!! So a person has 100+ cats and its not till they are found in very poor conditions suffering and you hear local sheriff deputy's saying this is what happens if you don't allow euthanasia. No this is what happens when people don't get help until its to late. I actually called and e-mailed several times to a local shelter on a siamese that I personally tried to adopt and a month later the local athorities seized this place for HORDING. It frustrates me more than I display in this forum when I hear about these places. Sometimes no ALWAYS there are things people can do and they just don't take the time to do so.

*I've been Boo'd*

Well, sitting around talking about it won't change anything. Of course it is horrible to kill animals, but woud it be better to help NONE or to help SOME?

I emailed the 2 organizations you wrote about above. I feel that if they hear about the situation, especially from more than 1 person, they will at least look into it.

Maybe they can pass it along to others who might help.

And we can pray.

We heard from this person. All the purebreds have found places to go. She is now working on the domestics. We may still get a few of these.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    We heard from this person. All the purebreds have found places to go. She is now working on the domestics. We may still get a few of these.
    Good Work you guys. With all you great people on the job working for these babies they seem to have a great chance. Good job on the purebreds. Now fingers crossed and lots of prayers coming for the domestics.

Please let them get a place too.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I emailed her back and told her I'd have no qualms with driving... you know me and road trips Jen L., lol. LOVE THEM!

Hope to hear back from her shortly!!!