Thread: More tank help?

More tank help?

Ok... Guys..
    I just noticed today that my tank is turning a yellowish color and is smelling pretty bad...

What should I do? Should I empty all the grose water out?

I had it set up again since about a week ago, and it seems like its not getting any better...

I can post a pic later on when i get home.. this is really bugging me.. this is the first time ive had a real fish tank and I just want it to look pretty but ive had nothing but problems with it..
    Off The Rock's Devilish Diva; Sasha

Off The Rock's Meriadoc Brandybuck; Merry

Off The Rock's Peregrin Took; Pippin(RIP)

And the Off The Rock's Fish tank

Hi, I've had fish aquariums all my life and they are a lot of fun, but also lots of work
    Yellow? Do you think it might be dirty? I wouldn't think so since you said you set it up a week ago, but maybe it's still cycling. If it doesn't settle down in a day or two then maybe try taking a little more of the water out and adding fresh water.
    How many fish do you have? I use to have about 20 gold fish in just a 29 gallon tank, and I soon realized that wasn't enough room for so many fish, especially goldfish, so I gave them all except 6 to my dad to put in his huge 55 gallon tank. That was a very long time though and he only has 2 of them left now and I only have 4 left, but still when I had so many in my tank it got dirty so quickly!!!!!!! That's just a thought though. What kinds of fish do you have?? Do you put chlorine drops and salt for the fish in the water? Make sure you use the kind without iodine.
    Talk to you later..
    Genny
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

It sounds like there could be something wrong with your water. Have you ever boughten a PH tester from the store? You could by a ph tester and test your water to see if the ph is level or off any.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Ok, I will test the PH

I just did a partial water cleaning (first one ive done in 2 weeks) and its looking bettter. Not as yellow and its still a little cloudy, but apperntly thats to be expected fr the first 8 weeks or something..

*sigh* I just wish it was looking nice again.

Do you have lots of light shining on your tank? Either sunlight or room lamps or a light in the tank? That will encouage the "wrong" things to grow and make the water turn color, though usually that is the green stuff.

Are there fish in the tank now or not?

What size is the tank and what size filter are you using?

Testing th PH, ammonia and nitrites should help identify the issue. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sandra

Well I have a 46 gallon tank. I have 3 small koi and a cupple other gold fish and one comet.

There is no direct sunlight on it or anything. Im going out to wal mart to get a PH test now in a few mins.

its weird though because when I set up my tank back in November, it was fine untill it was under a window to long and then it just got algae and more algae. then I moved it and set it up again and now its just cloudy. I did a partial water change the other day and it seems a little bit better, still cloudy but a little better.

This is my fish tank before I moved it and before the algae started growing.

I will take a newer pic of it to show you the clodyness i speak of.

Are you running any charcoal?

You might look into picking up a bag of chemipure. I know it can be used on cichlids and discus (as well as saltwater) so I assume it'd be safe for your tank.

The water sparkles when I use it in my reef tank.

I tested the PH and its normal.

I dunno waht else to do.. >.<

I would be putting a charcoal filter in there...thats sure to clean it up in no time

These people have nice intentions. But your problem is the cycle. What you smell is ammonia. You have too big a bioload for that tank. You need to get a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=21 You should read up on the cycle, and you should also rehouse the koi and all but 4-5 goldfish.
    -pH is not the problem, most fish can live in any stable ph from 5-9.
    -Charcoal is only active for 7 days, it does not help the tank cycle.
    What you should do right now is a big, 50%-75% water change. The keep up with large changes until you can confirm that the tank is cycled.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I personaly do not cycle my tanks...i pull them down and do a full clean then fill em up and put any original fish back in.....have done for years

My filter requires charcoal...and does not require the charcoal changed every 7 days *L*...i know when it needs changing by the colour of the water...if it gets a yellowish tinge (tannins) last time that took 4-5 months

I dont do water changes often either....probably once a month

Probably not recommended but it works for me and my fish....my tanks are crystal clear and the fish healthy...

The only time it might be a problem to not cycle before adding fish is if your tank was overstocked in the first place

Im going to pick up an amoina testing kit in the next few days whenever i can get out to get one.

The water has been clearning up a bit. which is a good sign.

Im not sure what a charcole filter is, But in my filter I have this back songie type thing and the filter cartdages... Im new at this fish tank stuff so bare with me please.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Charcoal is only active for 7 days, it does not help the tank cycle.
    Actually, chemipure does remove ammonia and nitrogenous waste. It's reported to last up to 6 months though most of the reef-keepers I know dispose of it after 3-4. (Rinse it when you do your water changes to get any debris off.)

I don't know if it'd be more advantageous to introduce it into a cycling tank or an established tank.