Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I love my Kindle! I got mine in May after my rotator cuff surgery because I wasn't able to do much for a few weeks and I was going mad with boredom.

Right now I am reading "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I cannot believe what this gal went through at such a tender age and came out a survivor even after being held by those monsters for 18 years. Her book is an inspiration to me.
    I just started reading this, I had to put it down a few times it made me so upset and angry.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I just started reading this, I had to put it down a few times it made me so upset and angry.
    Since I saw the hour long special on TV I pretty much knew what to expect. She was just so brave.

I saw Jaycee being interviewed on 60 minutes, she is an inspiration to everyone, what that sadistic monster put her through just makes me feel sick to the stomach, and i have not read the book, but would like to,mind you i think it would haunt me thinking about it all.

She is one hellava brave young woman, to come out of this and still be normal, i am sure she has lots to deal with in her daily life, because of that creep,but isn't she amazing.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I saw Jaycee being interviewed on 60 minutes, she is an inspiration to everyone, what that sadistic monster put her through just makes me feel sick to the stomach, and i have not read the book, but would like to,mind you i think it would haunt me thinking about it all.

She is one hellava brave young woman, to come out of this and still be normal, i am sure she has lots to deal with in her daily life, because of that creep,but isn't she amazing.
    I thought maybe it would bother me after reading the book but I think seeing her and reading how well she is doing has helped and also knowing that those 2 monsters are in jail for the rest of their lives.

Just finished Cleo, The Cat Who Mended a Family by Helen Brown. Loved it. True story.

I wonder if Carole has already read it, as it took place in New Zealand, starting in the mid-eighties?

Yes Yes GRACE i have read it, in fact my sister gave it to me for my birthday a few years back, and it ignited my passion for reading again, and i have not stopped since, it is a lovely story and highly recommend it to anyone.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Another day, another book. The weather is disgusting - hot and humid day after day. So I sit in my air conditioned house and read.

Summer in the South by Cathy Holton. While not normally a fiction reader, I have read all of her books. This one grabbed me from the beginning, but the ending was not what I expected. It was darker, and left me with lots of wondering about what would happen next.

Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions by Vicki Myron.

A couple more Dewey stories, and some others the author heard about after the Dewey book was published. Not a quick a read as the first, but interesting.

Looks like I'm the only one reading

Just finished Gary Jobson: An American Sailing Story by Gary Jobson.

My brother, who almost never reads, recommended this to me. Gary Jobson has been a sailor all his life. He was the tactician on Courageous - winner of the 1977 America's Cup, skippered by Ted Turner.

I enjoyed this - interesting adventures and wonderful pictures. For those of us with a bit of salt water in our veins.

I'm still reading Scandinavian noir (?), mysteries and other weird stuff, even if I haven't checked in. I finished Mercy, which Carole tipped me off on, and thank you!

Then I read Redbreast by Jo Nesbo, a Norwegian mystery to do with past- and present-day Nazi and other fascist activity in Norway. This was especially relevant after the recent Norwegian bombing and shootings.

In fact, Jo Nesbo had a commentary in the New York Times about that a couple of weeks ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/op...nes&emc=tha212, saying essentially that Norway will never be the same again.

Then I re-read maybe the first Scandinavian-set mystery I'd ever come across, Death in a Cold Climate by Robert Barnard, who is actually British and at the time was Professor of English at the University of Tromso in northern Norway, which is where the story takes place.

Now I'm re-reading Smilla's Sense of Snow, which I read long ago when it was first out and popular. Since I don't remember any of the details from then, I'm finding it very well written.!

Aside from being a very intriguing mystery, this book is filling in for me some of the history of just what the relationship between Denmark and Greenland is, about which I don't know anything.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one reading
    That will never be, while I'm alive I never seem to be reading anything other people have ever heard of so anything I say about 'my' books is a monologue. However. . .

I'm reading A Fairly Honourable Defeat, by Iris Murdoch, not at all for the first time. Really like it. I like everything Murdoch - well, almost everything. Her very first and very last weren't quite 'there' for me. And I think I must have them all, somewhere around here. She was so incomprehensible and so heartless to her characters, and completely without pity. I find her comforting No matter how drab and awful and senseless your own life may seem, so long as you have Iris Murdoch at hand you never have to feel like this is the worst that could ever happen to you. Being one of her characters is the worst it can get on this earth, as far as purely mental torment goes.

She put them through such contortions. Always smiting them with sudden uncontrollable love for completely unsuitable people, messing around with their heads, trashing their lives . . . but she did write a few that were kind, in spite of all the turmoil. This one is one of them. It has what is probably the first gay couple I ever encountered in it, and I still think they're the only really believable, 'relate-to'-able gay relationship I've ever found in a book. It should probably be on reading lists for that reason alone.
    "Hoe sou jy wat so baie reis die wonderlike mense van ons land beskryf?"
    En ek se vir hom, "Man, Johan. Die meeste mense is maar lekker zef"
    - Valiant Swart

I read book one of the Stieg Larssen trilogy...and couldn't wait to read the other two!

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

There were supposed to be 10 of these books. Sadly, Larssen died shortly after handing the first three in to his publisher. He died of a heart attack at age 50.

Half of the fourth one is still in his computer; you can read about the legal situation holding this up if you look him up on Wikipedia and other sites.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catherinedana View Post
    Are any of you readers out there fans of Shirley Jackson? . . . "Raising Demons" and "Life Among the Savages" are two books that are based on her family life with 5 children, many cats and one large dopey dog. They are hilarious and guaranteed a LOL experience. I can't say enough about her writing.
    I have a couple of those . . . still . . . I hope. I have so many books around here I can't even find many I fully recall buying and seeing around. And I know I bought at least one of those. Very very VERY funny. My kid still says 'please don't [verb] the [his name]' now and then in honour of Sally.

Very funny but kind of chilling. I don't mean in the same sense as her fiction, which I've never got into as I just don't understand fear as a recreational activity . Is it just that I know what happened to her, or is there something just slightly . . . off about at least two of those kids?
    "Hoe sou jy wat so baie reis die wonderlike mense van ons land beskryf?"
    En ek se vir hom, "Man, Johan. Die meeste mense is maar lekker zef"
    - Valiant Swart

I'm going to start reading Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals here in the next few days... yay college?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I've been reading a series by George R.R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" I read the first one "A Game of Thrones" and am now on the second. I loved the first one. They made it into a TV show which I also enjoyed.

I also plan to read Cesar Millan's book soon. I'm in the process of watching all his shows. I think he's an amazing person.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo